Filtration

Guest Myrna

I have a newly set up 55 gal. HOB filter is rated 330 gph and canister is rated 265 gph. After putting together I'm concerned that I may have to much water movement to suit fancy goldies. I was thinking I needed 550 gph water turnover, so I have that covered. Maybe to much? I put in one of my small shubunkins in on 3rd day and he is being moved around a good bit. I can't control the flow coming from the HOB but I can cut back on the flow from canister. I have been under the impression the more filtration the better with goldfish. Perhaps I should only use the canister filter? Appreciate any in put.

You are completely correct that a 55 gallon tank, will need at least 550GPH.. But I understand the problem you are talking about..This has happened to me before with small fish.. It's tricky when the fish is still small, because at some point the fish WILL be larger and need that filtration, but when they are little, it is hard for them to fight the pull..

My solution was to remove my small fish, and place her in 5 gallon tank for now. It has a small filter, and she handles it much better. Once she is bigger I will place her with the othe fish.

Of course, that may not be an option : )

How many fish do you have or are planning on having in the tank, and what types are the other fish? And how big?

With time, the fish will grow and be able to swim in the strong current, and may even enjoy it.

Until then, you can create calm areas in the tank where the fish can hide and rest through the use of tank decorations. Large fake plants work well and look nice, and so do glass bowls and the like. The current is probably safe as long as it doesn't appear to be harming your fish. Also, the water movement helps keep the tank looking clean.

Thank you for your replies. Glad to know that my filters aren't to much . I have had 3 small Shubunkins since Feburary this year in my 29 gal. Not 2 inches long yet and very slim of body. My old shubunkin grew to 4 inches and very full body before I lost him. Think he ate a piece of gravel as he died so quickly. Put 3 Shubs outside in half barrel pond this summer and mostly they stay there till Oct., Nov. They will reside in 29 gal set up in garage in winter until they get to large, then I will find a LARGE pond home for them.

I plan to start with 2 Rukins in the 55 but not until its been established and chemistry is stable. Would love to have 3 or 4 but aware of the 10 gal limit per fancy goldie, don't think a 55 gal actually holds that much water I would think with decor and 1 inch of pebbles maybe 48-50 gallons of water? I will be buying small fish, large aren't in the budget, and will add a few better hiding places away from current. Love to find Calico Ryukin or Calico Oranda, that is fun I can have in 5 or 6 weeks.

Did seed new tank with old filter material and pebbles along with some water from small pond.

Thanks again for your time, Myrna

You are completely correct that a 55 gallon tank, will need at least 550GPH.. But I understand the problem you are talking about..This has happened to me before with small fish.. It's tricky when the fish is still small, because at some point the fish WILL be larger and need that filtration, but when they are little, it is hard for them to fight the pull..

My solution was to remove my small fish, and place her in 5 gallon tank for now. It has a small filter, and she handles it much better. Once she is bigger I will place her with the othe fish.

Of course, that may not be an option : )

How many fish do you have or are planning on having in the tank, and what types are the other fish? And how big?

Your fancy goldfish are so pretty, are they all in the same tank or do you have several tanks?

When I added another of my small Shubs to new tank, he showed the other one how to swim into the current and they both love to do that! I took the direction spray attachment off and put on the spray bar arm, 24 in., and they swim stright up back of the tank and do it many times once they start! I won't mix fancy GF with the Shubunkins. They will go back into the barrel pond till winter, inside garage in 29 gal than. I will pond place them in the Spring when they are bigger. Looking forward to having a healthy tank and healthy fancygoldies. Thanks for your input. Myrna

With time, the fish will grow and be able to swim in the strong current, and may even enjoy it.

You were so right. When I changed the directional input to the 24 in spray bar and than added another small Shub, they both started swimming stright up the back of the tank, seemed to love it and do it a lot. I did put in a flower pot but they don't seem interested. Changing the filter to spray bar seem to take care of the strong current problem. Thanks for you in put. Myrna

Ohh good I am glad it worked out for you : )

Aren't they soo cute when the play in the bubbles?? LOL I've noticed different things that seem small can make a big difference to the fish. Sometimes just raising the bubbles bar up an inch or so allows the fish a calmer space. Or adding in the right decorations..

OMG my house is being over run with tanks! LOL Right now I actually have the fancies in 4 seperate tanks.. I have two orandas in one, two orandas in another, the two big telescopes in one, and my small telescope Angel that I was telling you about in a 4th. I would like to eventually have all 4 orandas together, and all 3 telescopes together. The funny thing is I actually have an empty 40 gallon waiting for the orandas. But everytime I start to put them all together, something weird happens and I end up keeping them in the smaller tank seperate for a bit longer.. Hopefully soon..

SO, you ARE gonna post pictures for us soon right : ) :yeah: