Any Oscar Lovers Here?

jamisskat

Just wanted to show you guys my 2 Oscars..Vase and Spooners..Vase was a rescue that was found a few months back at a lfs in a flower vase :cry1 somebody brought him in because they didn't want him anymore so brought him in a freaking vase..The lfs kept him in that all day because they claimed they didn't have anywhere to put him.. So, I brought him home and it was a very long journey to recovery..Spooners, was bought 8 weeks ago when he was 1 inches.. he's grown to be a handsome O! Both O's are in their own 55g..They are getting a 150 g next yr..I changed their subrate to sand and they love it! Don't worry no goldfish are fed to them..lol they eat Chiclid Gold, and frozen goodies..

heres Vase when I brought him home..

DSCN0049.jpg

And Today

DSCN0052.jpg

Heres Spooners when I got him 8 weeks ago

newo2.jpg

And today

DSCN0055.jpg

Both O's are very friendly and special to me...Vase especially and he knows it :rolleyes: I'm the only person that can feed Vase..He sulks if anyone else tries..from across the room he will wiggle around begging for attention..quite entertaining..lol

beauties!!!I LOVE oscars!!...I wish I had room for some !! there is a few at the lfs about the size of dinner plates for 20$ ..good job on the rescue !!! Poor thing in a vase ...how sad ..The guy who owns the lfs says he has lots of people bringing in they're oscars..as they are tank vandals ..and people don't realize how big they get and how fast ....I would love to see a video :exactly

We had one for 10 years. He was 16 inches long when my husband decided we could not keep upgrading our tank. By then he was in a 75 gallon tank with his tank mate one 12 inch pleco. Very messy fish and he would eat heaters every winter so we bought at least two a year.

Not sure how much longer he lived cause my husband sold them both to a guy with a 120 gallon tank just for the two of them to live in.

I like these fish my uncle has 4 of them, 2 albinos. There about 10 inches each only about 3-4 years old, abit to aggressive for me to house one myself as they aren't schooling fish. Never the less they are a very interesting fish and one that i love to see 'hunt' feeders or steak.

• Admin

I saw this thread and thought interesting....I had Oscars so many years ago before i got into goldfish. I had an albino and the red and black one...I liked them very much, but they grew so big and ate alot...they were the reason I got into goldfish. Since the LFS was feeding goldfish to there Oscars, it broke my heart.

I tried to save on once, the LFS was going to kill him since he had Hole in the head, they were going to bleach him. So I took him home for free and tried to nurse him back to health but the power went out for a day and the tank temp dropped to far down and he died on me...that was the last time I had these fish....

They are so pretty though :)

Oscars are very smart fish and if you never feed them live food you can get them to live with smaller fish.....I had a baby oscar with Neon tetras when I was a kid and the oscar got huge and he never touched the tetras.....But i feed him very well and NEVER fed him goldies......

Edited by Deahttub

You just got lucky cause it really does not matter what you feed them they are very aggressive fish period. Mine use to fight with the pleco all the time. He was on a pelleted/flake only diet.

The bottom line is they are as a whole very aggressive and you got lucky. I only repeat myself cause I don't want anyone that has never kept an oscar to think what you got away with is normal and be disappointed with their oscar eats the other fish cause that is what they do.

that is what I learned about aggresive fish that by nature eat other fish ...they may not touch your other fish ...but if one day your other fish start disapearing ....don't be shocked lucky is what I call it too ...I hear so many stories on the puffer forum about one day after 4 years of having a happy community tank with a puffer in it ..and one day they have woken up to an empty tank ..and one fat smiling puffer :D ..it's just what is nautral to them