Sick Fish

Guest Karrie Lynn

Guest Karrie Lynn

Friday, August 29, i found my algae eater had died. that next day one of my goldfish had

died. So I cleaned the tank and treated it with aqua safe and easy balance.

Then I noticed that one of my other goldfish had a white film over one of it's eyes and he keeps sinking down to the corner of the tank., but then later he swims fine.

I just don't know whats over his eye and I don't know what to do.

Can you Please help me?

Thank You

Karrie Lynn

PS I did add a new algae eater and a new fish

Hi Karrie, and welcome to Koko's! You've come to the right place for help and advice...there are tons of really knowledgeable people here!

Just to help folks out, can you tell us a little bit more about your set-up? (Answer as many questions as you can in the white box above.) We really need to know your tank size and specs, the # of fish, kinds of fish, etc. And, probably most important, we need to know your water readings on Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH. These are critical to know and balance for happy, healthy fish. (I kept a fish for 4 years before even knowing what the heck these were, and poor thing was at death's door when I came here and the folks here helped me save him.) So if you can, get a water test kit that has drops (like an API Master Test kit or similar).

Just hang in there...you'll get lots of great advice to help your fishy family.

Karrie Lynn you can also take a sample of your water to the lfs and they will test it for you. Just be sure they give you the numbers, not just that its "ok".

We're looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Guest Sly C. Pea

I notice you are adding Tetra Easy Balance to your tank. That is the stuff that claims on the bottle that if you use it you will only have to change the water once every 6 months isn't it? How often do you do water changes, and how much?

Guest Karrie Lynn

I change my tank water every 6 months, I have a 30 gal tank.

Water temp. is 76 degree's.

The filter is a "Whisper20/40" and I did change the filter when I changed the water in the tank after cleaning it.

I feed them "Wardleys Essentials Goldfish Flakes". I feed them 1 time per day.

1. Rambo is about 6 inchs ( he's the one who is sick ) 4 inchs in body and 2 inchs of tail.

2.Goldie she is about 3.5 inch's, she looks great and loves to play and get me wet with her tail. very cool fish.

3. Lady she is silver and is very close to Rambo and she is by his side alway.but she is not sick, I don't think she is. She doesn't act like it.

4. This is my new fish which is a lemon yellow and silver Coi Fish Her name is Lilly, she is about 4 inchs.

5. A new algae eater and he is about 1.5 inch's long his name is Tiny.

Guest Sly C. Pea
I change my tank water every 6 months,

Ding, ding, ding! That is an alarm bell.

I have a 30 gal tank.

Water temp. is 76 degree's.

The filter is a "Whisper20/40" and I did change the filter when I changed the water in the tank after cleaning it.

I feed them "Wardleys Essentials Goldfish Flakes". I feed them 1 time per day.

1. Rambo is about 6 inchs ( he's the one who is sick ) 4 inchs in body and 2 inchs of tail.

2.Goldie she is about 3.5 inch's, she looks great and loves to play and get me wet with her tail. very cool fish.

3. Lady she is silver and is very close to Rambo and she is by his side alway.but she is not sick, I don't think she is. She doesn't act like it.

4. This is my new fish which is a lemon yellow and silver Coi Fish Her name is Lilly, she is about 4 inchs.

5. A new algae eater and he is about 1.5 inch's long his name is Tiny.

You are overstocked.

Someone else will be along soon to tell you that you need 10 gal per fish and that you should be changing 50% of your water weekly........

If i were you I would stop using Easy Balance and start doing large water changes weekly (starting today).

In a 30 gallon...I am sorry I am unable to make out...exactly how many fish do you have in total at present...4 fish + 1 algae eater..a pleco?? which means earlier you had 5 fish and 2 plecos???

Also except for Lilly that is a Koi fish..and Tiny an algae eater (he is not the one who passed away right???)...what is the type of all other fish in the tank??..meaning are they single tailed fish or a double tailed fancy goldfish??? This would help us determine what is the apt size of the tank needed for future...

Just to give you some info...Koi fish is a pond fish..those are meant only for ponds as they can grow upto 3 feet long and need some hundreds of gallons of water...if all the other fish you have are common/comets/single tailed goldfish each can grow upto 1 feet long or even more...so each of them need 20 gallons each...even if fancy/double tailed fish each of them needs 10 gallons...the algae eater, I am assuming pleco, grows to be a feet long too..so need a bigger setup...Clearly, your tank is way way overstocked...also water changes should be ideally 50% every week..and 100% once a month...6 months is a long time to not change water...actually in your case you should be doing even more frequent water changes...goldfish are messy fish..and produce a lot of ammonia...that why they need a lot of space...also they grow big.. :(

Besides the filtration on a goldfish tank should be ideally 10 times the capacity of your tank...in your case a filter that processes water at 300gph rate...ideally with the stocking you have I would have doubled that...meaning a 600gph...

Also you say Tiny is a new addition..did you quarantine him before adding him to the tank???...a new fish always brings in a lot of bad parasites an bacteria so quarantining them for 3-4 weeks is very important.. :( ..

As Vickie suggested if you could get test kits or get your water tested at an lfs and get the numbers..tht would help to a gr8 extent...I am sorry for all this...dont worry we ll help as much as we can.. :) ..

To be fair to Karrie Lynn, the directions on the Easy Balance are probably why she does not do water changes.

I totally agree.. :) ...nothing against Karrie...I have done mistakes equally bad...I guess all of us have been there...I have learnt the hard way tooo.. :) ...so yeah Karrie...please don't worry..things will get better...and we are all here to help you..the info is just to get you started to seeing and understanding things better..I am soo glad you are here to make it right... :) ..we all are just concerned abt the fishies so much...but this is really only to help you get thru...hope things d get better.. :)

Guest Karrie Lynn

Thank you all so much because I had no idea about this and at the fish store they didn't really tell me anything, about changing the water or having too many fish.

They told me that what I had was just fine and to follow what the easy balance said on the bottle. I know now that I will need a much bigger tank. Looking at a 100 gal tank. What size filter do you recommend and is there anything else I need to know getting a tank this big. The Koi fish and the pleco I got after the other two died.

I have 1 gold fish and 2 fancy goldfish and 1koi fish and last but not least 1 pleco.

thank you all so much. It's nice to see people like you helping people like me.

Thanks again and look forward from hearing from you all.

Karrie lynn

I am so glad you are looking at a bigger tank..that is the best thing you can do to start with... :) ...A lot of times like the moderators say pristine water makes a huge difference...excellent water quality is the key to good health and in many cases takes care of almost all problems...so yeah until you get a big tank..do a massive water change and keep changing the water frequently..like 80% every 2-3 days...

I would also suggest giving up the koi...if you could find someone who has a pond and can adopt your Lilly..I am sorry but however big the aquarium is, the Koi really needs a pond...since you just got her..you could also return her to the store...

For 1 common+2 fancies+1 pleco..a 75-100 gallon would be sooooo good...for a 100 gallon you need at least filtration of 100gph..you could use 2 filters that process water at the rate of 500gph each...basically multiply the capacity of the tank by 10...Marineland Emporer 500 is a very good filter...Marineland Penguins are gr88 too.. :) ..I hope you find the right tank and everythinig soon.. :)

For 1 common+2 fancies+1 pleco..a 75-100 gallon would be sooooo good...for a 100 gallon you need at least filtration of 100gph.

Caught a typo.. JC meant 1000gph (she'll probably catch that in two seconds anyway :) )

For 1 common+2 fancies+1 pleco..a 75-100 gallon would be sooooo good...for a 100 gallon you need at least filtration of 100gph.

Caught a typo.. JC meant 1000gph (she'll probably catch that in two seconds anyway :) )

hehehehe...thnks Sue... :D ...1000gph it is.. :)

First lesson. Never, ever listen to what fish store employees tell you. Most of them are not fish experts, and even if they are, it's usually tropicals or saltwater. There are very few knowledgeable goldfish people working in fish stores and goldfish have their own very special requirements.

Second, lesson. Don't feel badly. We ALL have been where you are, that's why we're here and we all have learned the same as you're doing now.

I'm not going to type out what I know as it's the same as what's already been said and no point of repeating anything that's been said that's correct.

You just bought the koi and pleco. Take them back to the store. Tell them that you have been advised that you are overstocked and you cannot keep them. If you get rid of these two fish, your tank will be almost perfect. I say almost because of the one goldy, which I'm assuming is a single tail. You really need a 40 gallon to be safe, but a 30 gallon with just three goldies would be pretty good.

You need to get rid of these fish, because, as said, koi just grow far too big to be kept in aquariums. That's like keeping an elephant in a dog run. And plecos have a very bad habit of developing an insatiable taste for goldfish slimecoat and eating it right off of them, and killing the goldfish. Plecos don't really belong with goldfish.

You need to get a salt treatment going and prazi (praziquantel) too. Salt is usually referenced by volume. 0.1%, 0.2% and 0.3%. 0.1%=1 tsp salt per 1 gallon water, 0.2% =2 tsp salt per 1 gallon water and 0.3%=3 tsp salt per 1 gallon water. 3 tsps = 1 TBLSP. Start the salt at 0.1%, then after 12 hours, up it to 0.2%, then after another 12 hours, bring it up to 0.3%. Prazi is best in pure form, such as Hikari Prazi Pro, but you can almost never find this in stores and it must be ordered online. But, you could use a medication in the fish store that contained it. Those meds contain other products too, but I don't think it would hurt to use those other meds, considering your fish probably have other infections as well.

I would also strongly suggest getting some medicated food. MediGold from Goldfish Connection is best, but Jungle makes a decent anti-bacterial food that would work okay.

New fish should always be quarantined before adding to the main tank with a salt and prazi treatment as it is virtually certain that they have some sort of bacterial infection and/or flukes.

Edited by Lynda Von G

You never mentioned any water test readings, so I'm going to assume you don't have any tests. You must always test your water. You need to buy drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Your ammonia and nitrites need to be kept at 0. Nitrates can be up to 20, but the lower, the better.

Water changes should be a minimum of 50% weekly with a 100% change once a month. Goldfish produce a lot of waste which, in turn creates a lot of ammonia. Ammonia creates very toxic water conditions. Through a biological process, beneficial bacteria start to build in a tank which will eventually eat the ammonia and turn it into slightly less toxic nitrites. Further processing turns the nitrites into nitrates. This is called the Nitrogen Cycle or cycling. While your tank is cycling, the water needs to be changed daily and in large amounts (80%-90%) to keep the ammonia as close to 0 as possible.

Water changes are about more than just ammonia though too. Alongside the beneficial bacteria, bad bacteria are growing too. That is why you need to do a 100% water change once a month. And, if you have gravel, you need to do a complete, thorough vacuuming of the gravel with every single water change to help get rid of these bad bacteria.

• 3 weeks later...