The Junked 50-55gal.

sheep

I went out so confirm that we still have the old 50-55 gallon that I've mentioned before and there is some old equipment lying around that's been weathered for several months(heat, rain, etc) and all of it's likely full of bugs. Part of the reason it was put out there was because it was full of roaches from its previous home.

I've asked mom if I can clean it and take care of it if I was bought new filters, etc. and a stand for it. I was told she'd have to discuss it with my dad, but I want to start cleaning the aquarium anyway. Is there an easy way to empty it of all of that water so I can move the thing? I don't want to risk using the hand-truck, I might break something..

Photos:

DSC06515.jpg

DSC06516.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

This is more tank stuff that's also been out in the weather just as long- it might be a little mixed up with grill stuff. One of the lids I think is from my 10gal(I was bought a new one)..

DSC06518.jpg

DSC06519.jpg

I can't really make too much of what's on the table other than the obvious- a light, parts of a filter, maybe..

Any suggestions? Especially for a shopping list! (and a guesstimate of the tank's actual size. I've been thinking 50 but it might be 55)

Maybe I can show mom the potential of a goldfish tank and sway her.. I can maybe keep.. 4 full grown fancy goldfish in there? I dunno. :)

This project will be big. Ohyeah.

Guest Orandaa

Well first of all, that's a great tank. I'd clean that out in a second if I had room for it!

Second, the easiest way to clean it out by yourself would be to first get the water out. Whether you use a bucket, or a pump or whatever. Now to get it into your house... If you can't lift it (It'd be pretty heavy) I'd ask your parents for help. Either get your dad to do it, or get on on end and have someone else lift the other. You said hand truck? Is that like a hand cart that you wheel around? If so that'd be a good idea. If you're afraid of breaking the tank, when you put it on the cart you could put a mat underneath it, or anywhere that the tank would come in contact with the cart you could put a large piece of fabric so it won't chip or scratch. You'd be surprised how strong tanks are though.

As far as the old equipment goes... I cant even tell what half that is :P The filter will be a money saver if it works, I notice the filter, and the impellor are there. I don't see a hood for it, so you may need to buy 2 small ones as your tank can support 2 instead of one (the bar in the middle of the top).

That's about all I got for this :P Good luck! I hope you get to set it up.

That's about all I got for this :P Good luck! I hope you get to set it up.

I didn't even read any of that before I started cleaning! XD

I've gotten it pretty cleaned up, even the sand from between the plastic.. liner? I've scrubbed it down, for sure.?

The hardest part was moving it by myself(no one wanted to help because it was "my project", feh.) and getting all of that gravel out. It was natural gravel and there were many tiny rocks I had to scoop and pick out and all of it was caked in algae and decaying matter.

I have some 'after' photos, and I'm quite proud of my job. :)

DSC06520.jpg

DSC06521.jpg

There's a small scratch on the inside. When I first noticed it, I thought it was a crack, but it can only be felt on one side.

DSC06522.jpg

The quality isn't as great, it's humid outside and the lense fogged up. When I wiped it, it was still a little damp. P:

I've also learned that it is a 55 gallon tank! :D Yipee!

Edited by Sheep & Toeby

Guest Orandaa

Great job! It looks so much better.

I've got a crack like that on the bottom of my 30 gallon, but like you said its just on one side so it's no big deal.

Does the its "your project" line from your parents mean you get to set it up? :D

Great job! It looks so much better.

I've got a crack like that on the bottom of my 30 gallon, but like you said its just on one side so it's no big deal.

Does the its "your project" line from your parents mean you get to set it up? :D

Actually I think I might be able to! I was in the middle of cleaning the parts and everything and my dad was asking me things.

"What do you plan to put in it?"

"Goldfish!"

"Goldfish!? But they need a little bitty thing!"

"What do you know about goldfish?"

"Nothing."

"Exactly. :) "

He was saying I had to clean the sand and make sure everything's clear of "roach eggs". I highly doupt there's anything like roaches in it, it's been in the sun and rain all summer long. The lights and the filter and hoods were covered in mildew that was dead, turned the rags black! I used clorox to disenfect everything and everything and everything.. I'll be sure to use dechlorinate if/when I get to actually use it.

I won't be able to bring it inside unless he's convinced it's completely cleaned and I have a stand to set it up on.

Here are more pictures:

It started to rain right after I rubbed the lamps dry, and I didn't think to turn the tank upside down before I went inside. It's just stopping, now. x/

DSC06523.jpg

DSC06524.jpg

I haven't figured out how powerful the pump is, yet. I need to look it up..?

DSC06525.jpg

DSC06526.jpg

That's all I have for now.

I sure hope that filter works. You well need one more at least to go with it. Looks like a great start. You well make four goldffish a very nice home.

I sure hope that filter works. You well need one more at least to go with it. Looks like a great start. You well make four goldffish a very nice home.

Thanks! :) ?

I really nead to find out how much this one turns over!

And yeah,but not until I have a stand and a cycled tank. :D

Guest Orandaa

I can already picture the tank all set up! :D Sounds like you're gonna be able to keep it which is awesome.

That's an interesting looking filter, hopefully it's still working :D

I can already picture the tank all set up! :D Sounds like you're gonna be able to keep it which is awesome.

That's an interesting looking filter, hopefully it's still working :D

Yup! Now, it's just a matter of preventing my parents form putting it off like they do everything else.

Hopefully I can have some sort of stand in a few weeks, even if it's second-hand. I also need to find some time to educate my parents on goldfish. When we had the cichlid and the equipment was infested with roaches, dad would spray chemicals near and on the aquarium! D:

It is an interesting filter.. If I can't look it up, maybe someone'll know what kind it is..

The cichlid's water was always yellowish, but I don't know if it's because the filter was weak or because no one ever did water changes.

Oh this is fun!!! That's a great tank!! I really hope this works out for you! I think if you look at the filter and find some sort of label it will let you know the model, make of it. I bought a used tank on Craig's list, and it came with an older filter. I found the name of it and everything, but unfortunately when I hooked it up it leaked.. I really hope all your extras can be salvaged..

You'll probably want to disinfect the tank with something... Some people use bleach and water. If you do that, you need to make sure you rinse rinse rinse and when you think you've rinsed enough, keep rinsing!! I've never used bleach, but I know a LOT of people on here have, and they can probably give you more info/tips.

I've used Permoxyn (potassium permanganate) a few times recently to disinfect my tanks.. I LOVE it.... There are a lot of threads/posts on it, and if you need more info, I can help you with that : )

I can't wait to see the tank! I am so excited for you : ) This is FUN! :) (OH I said that already didn't I?) lol

I've found the motor, a Tetra T3 Energizer Motor.

I also may have found my power filter..

p56204P.jpg

The bottom right looks similar to mine.. minus the lid.

You'll probably want to disinfect the tank with something... Some people use bleach and water. If you do that, you need to make sure you rinse rinse rinse and when you think you've rinsed enough, keep rinsing!! I've never used bleach, but I know a LOT of people on here have, and they can probably give you more info/tips.

I've used Permoxyn (potassium permanganate) a few times recently to disinfect my tanks.. I LOVE it.... There are a lot of threads/posts on it, and if you need more info, I can help you with that : )

I can't wait to see the tank! I am so excited for you : ) This is FUN! :) (OH I said that already didn't I?) lol

I've been washing everything relentlessly with clorox clean-up and water. Once inside, I can probably get it cleaned easier(detail cleaning??)

I'll look into the disinfectant. :D I have a good while to get everything spruced up and ready, so no rush.

And yes, it is fun! Work, but fun! XD

Filter works!!

DSC06528.jpgDSC06527.jpgDSC06529.jpg

It's entertaining to watch. o_o Fwoosh..

I still can't take anything inside until I have a "nice stand" as mom says, so I'll have to empty the water and double-clean. :D

Oh man! I'm sooooo excited that you decided to go rescue that fabulous tank and get it cleaned up! It will be sooooo fun to have something that big! A bigger tank is soooo much easier to take care of than a little one!

NO SAND! You said your dad said clean up the sand. No. Get rid of the sand. Sand is great for cichlids, terrible for goldfish. Just in case you were going to keep it.

I can't believe the filter is still working! How great! I think a fabulous way to really clean it would be to put some potassium permanganate or permoxyn or something right in the water and run it through the filter for a while. That will be a good way to get all the little nooks of the filter you can't get otherwise.

You know what? I think, that by sitting down with your parents and talking to them, like you said you were going to do, about fish and educating them, you will also be showing them YOUR knowledge and YOUR passion and YOUR devotion and YOUR committment, which, truly, ultimately, will be the thing that will convince them. Being willing to be responsible for a pet or project is what parents want to see.

Oh man! I'm sooooo excited that you decided to go rescue that fabulous tank and get it cleaned up! It will be sooooo fun to have something that big! A bigger tank is soooo much easier to take care of than a little one!

NO SAND! You said your dad said clean up the sand. No. Get rid of the sand. Sand is great for cichlids, terrible for goldfish. Just in case you were going to keep it.

I can't believe the filter is still working! How great! I think a fabulous way to really clean it would be to put some potassium permanganate or permoxyn or something right in the water and run it through the filter for a while. That will be a good way to get all the little nooks of the filter you can't get otherwise.

You know what? I think, that by sitting down with your parents and talking to them, like you said you were going to do, about fish and educating them, you will also be showing them YOUR knowledge and YOUR passion and YOUR devotion and YOUR committment, which, truly, ultimately, will be the thing that will convince them. Being willing to be responsible for a pet or project is what parents want to see.

I knew you'd be excited! I got inspired, really. I asked mom if I could set it up if I cleaned it and without hesitation I got to lugging it up to the deck! She says she's proud of my work and so am I~

The sand was just in the cracks. The aquarium was outside for many months and I live in Florida. I was getting RID of the sand! XD?

The cichlid was kept with some natural gravel which is being kept in a red bucket. I never intend to use it at all, I like the look of bare-bottomed tanks or using glass marbles/pebbles/etc. :)

I'll need to write those things down so I know what to get next trip to my LFS and we can look at stand while we're there. I can't wait to get this started up! X)

You may be very right. I just have to get them interested into listening to me. Whenever I try telling them something about anything they tell me they're busy watching TV or something and mom's usually in OCD mode, cleaning dishes and vaccuming the floors(again and again! crazy woman!)

I will definately get it done, though. It'll be good for both of us. I always feel surprised when mom says thing along the lines of, "Oh, I didn't know they ate suchandsuch?" and the like..

Wow, what an awesome tank!! I can imagine how excited you are! I get excited just changing the decor in the tanks, lol! :Congrats:

Its awesome that the filter works as that will save you some bucks. As far as stands go, you can use many things as tank stands as long as they are very sturdy. I have my 10 gallon on a tv stand that my Mom was throwing away, and the betta tank on a tv table that my son didn't want anymore. My brother has a low tv stand that has shelves with glass doors that I am going to weasle out of him when I get the 55 gallon. You can go to second-hand furniture stores or yard sales and pick this kind of stuff up for little or nothing and redo it yourself. When it comes to fish, there's no end to the creative and inexpensive ways to get your tank set up, and where there is a will there is a way!!

Before you get it inside though you will want to rinse, rinse, rinse that bleach out with dechlorinated water. Once you get it in the house it will be more difficult to rinse it well.

Wow, what an awesome tank!! I can imagine how excited you are! I get excited just changing the decor in the tanks, lol! :Congrats:

Its awesome that the filter works as that will save you some bucks. As far as stands go, you can use many things as tank stands as long as they are very sturdy. I have my 10 gallon on a tv stand that my Mom was throwing away, and the betta tank on a tv table that my son didn't want anymore. My brother has a low tv stand that has shelves with glass doors that I am going to weasle out of him when I get the 55 gallon. You can go to second-hand furniture stores or yard sales and pick this kind of stuff up for little or nothing and redo it yourself. When it comes to fish, there's no end to the creative and inexpensive ways to get your tank set up, and where there is a will there is a way!!

Before you get it inside though you will want to rinse, rinse, rinse that bleach out with dechlorinated water. Once you get it in the house it will be more difficult to rinse it well.

Hehe, thanks!

I was looking into buying one, but I MIGHT be able to find something else. It's mostly up to my mom and dad, as it's their house and looks matter a lot to them.. We don't live too far from a flea market, I can see about visiting next week or something! There are all sorts of things there, I'm sure.

All of our water is pretty much chlorine-free, it's well-water. It does have some sulfar in it, but I don't think that's a problem. I'm going to fill it up(again) outside and use what's left of my dechlorinate tablets for a few more good rinses. :)

Like I've said, there's no rush, I'm just glad I've started the project! :D Right now it's upside-down incase more rain comes.. but I could.. work in the rain!? 8D I'm already sunburned, ahahah..

Hohum! This is fun! :)

Guest Orandaa

I just cleaned and totally shined up an old tank I had in the basement, even though I don't plan on using it any time soon. I just felt motivated! :D

And the rain is terrible here. I'm in Nova Scotia north east of Florida and we've had thunderstorms everyday for the past 3-4 days now. As I said that, a HUGE thunder... bang.. thing? happened.. Perhaps a transformer blew up, that happens a lot. Luckily I've got a laptop and a portable air pump for my fish tank so I'm all set in case the power goes out! :D

I wish you lived closer! I have a great, perfect sized cabinet just sitting here in my living room waiting for me to decide how to get rid of it! Ah, well..... You'll find something. Check Craigslist and be creative about your search words. After all, any sort of cabinet, table, cupboard, stand would work.

I just cleaned and totally shined up an old tank I had in the basement, even though I don't plan on using it any time soon. I just felt motivated! :D

And the rain is terrible here. I'm in Nova Scotia north east of Florida and we've had thunderstorms everyday for the past 3-4 days now. As I said that, a HUGE thunder... bang.. thing? happened.. Perhaps a transformer blew up, that happens a lot. Luckily I've got a laptop and a portable air pump for my fish tank so I'm all set in case the power goes out! :D

I wish we HAD some rain, as here in Indiana we're in our usual late summer drought. But then again I think of the unfortunate people on the Gulf Coast tomorrow and realize I shouldn't complain.

And Nova Scotia would be WAAAAAAAAAAY northeast of Florida, lol!!

Edited by vickielm