Gabriel's Poopie

mardaokansi

I've never seen Gabriel poop. I'm sure he does, but I've never seen it. He has such a lovely tail that gets in the way. I'd like to monitor his poop to make sure he isn't constipated or over fed so when do they normally poop? right after they eat or what? also, my filter is awesome and it keeps the bottom crystal clear so I never see any poops on the bottom either.

the rosie reds in my turtle tank def. over eat and I see long trails of poop from them. (when my turt is eating his food the fish go after the smaller particles and they are also fed some of the goldie flakes) I think I'm overfeeding the fish in the turt tank, but I'm afriad the little danios don't get any food b/c the rosie reds are so large. BUT I've started to babble & my question is about Gabriel, my goldie and his poopie.

I've never seen Gabriel poop. I'm sure he does, but I've never seen it. He has such a lovely tail that gets in the way. I'd like to monitor his poop to make sure he isn't constipated or over fed so when do they normally poop? right after they eat or what? also, my filter is awesome and it keeps the bottom crystal clear so I never see any poops on the bottom either.

the rosie reds in my turtle tank def. over eat and I see long trails of poop from them. (when my turt is eating his food the fish go after the smaller particles and they are also fed some of the goldie flakes) I think I'm overfeeding the fish in the turt tank, but I'm afriad the little danios don't get any food b/c the rosie reds are so large. BUT I've started to babble & my question is about Gabriel, my goldie and his poopie.

From eating to pooping should normally take no more than 15 minutes. In case of peas, it almost seems like it's 'in the one end, out the other' :rolleyes: (which means, it's matter of a handful of minutes). It's nice that you have such an efficient filter. What kind is it?

I agree. With fruits and veggies, it's almost literally in and out. The high protein foods may take longer; maybe an hour or two, but if they're healthy and not constipated, it should come out pretty quickly right after eating.

Ya know... In some ways I want to say it's a GOOD thing you've not seen him poop! (Yes I know I sound weird but I think my logic makes sense, just let me explain).

So many people have been having problems with constipated fish, and swim bladder issues. Noticing long poop trails, or stringy white poo.. I always feel like it seems that the times I SEE poop, it is actually the times when there is more of a problem! So in a weird way, if you aren't seeing poop, that might be good! It means it's coming out with no problems, and your filter is doing it's job wonderfully.

But yeah, I do understand that you are curious just to make sure everything is okay :)

That's true, cuz healthy poop comes out in short, fat little pieces. So, it shouldn't trail along. So, maybe that's why you don't see anything. Cuz it breaks off as soon as it come out! Outsiders would find something very strange and sick about people who talk about poop so enthusiastically! lol! :tomuch:

Edited by Lynda Von G

Outsiders would find something very strange and sick about people who talk about poop so enthusiastically! lol! :tomuch:

You mean most people don't enjoy discussing fish poo??!?!?! WHat is wrong with the world these days :rofl

it's an ehiem internal power ball. it's for a 30 gal, but I use it on my 10 gal b/c I've been waiting for a 20 gal which I got as an early bday present yesterday.

I guess this topic is a little strange...lol, but as mentioned above all I tend to see here are threads about weird looking poop and that their fish is this, that, and the other. so I just wanted to get a good idea of "good" poops so I know what the "bad" poops look like.

thank you! :)