Prime Question

Ok..I ran out of Prime last night...and managed to get some before a water change on Sunshine tonight..When I opened the bottle..I saw small tons of black particles floating in the the solution...I really don't think the old bottle had any of this stuff...but this one is full of them..the particles look like crushed carbon filter media..

I wasn't so sure abt those so I didn't use it..and since was very late, around 11, cud not exchange it either..I used another conditioner I have..that one does not bind the ammonia so probably a water change tomorrow morning..but I am not worried abt tht...and I will go get the bottle exchanged..however would like to know, Is this normal??..or just a bad bottle of solution I came across.. :)

thnks guys... :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

Guest Sly C. Pea

Q: I think that my Prime?might be old because it smells like it went bad...

A: Prime?has a very distinct odor that is similar to sulfur which is completely normal. Also, the presence of small black specks is normal.

Hmmm. I use Prime pretty much exclusively unless I'm in a pinch and have never seen black specks. It does have a sulfuric odor that I've gotten used to. That doesn't mean its bad, just saying I've never seen them.

the odour does not bother me much..the earlier one had it too..the black specks is wat I was scared of....Vikcie :exactly ..I have never seen it before too...so got worried..

hmm..now that Sly C Pea and Imber say its normal...I am assuming it is safe to use?? Yes???...The specks settle down when the bottle is kept motionless..the moment I pick it up the specks stir up...umm..those won't hurt my goldie would it??? :) ..thnks you guys.. :)

I've seen a few black specks in mine, but I always picked them out with tweezers or a toothpick. Mine never got the stinky sulfer smell until I got to about 1/8th of a bottle left. I enjoyed having Larry sniff it :D Super funny lol

Speaking of which, I need to order some more. Thanks for reminding me!

Guest Sly C. Pea
I am assuming it is safe to use?? Yes???...

Yes.

The specks settle down when the bottle is kept motionless..the moment I pick it up the specks stir up...umm..those won't hurt my goldie would it???

Nope.

This is straight from the Seachem Prime website:

Prime? Support

Q: I think that my Prime?might be old because it smells like it went bad...

A: Prime?has a very distinct odor that is similar to sulfur which is completely normal. Also, the presence of small black specks is normal.

Prime Support

But, I have to say that if I saw that, I wouldn't have used it either!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Thanks Lynda... :) ...I really didnt care to see info on their website..but was so skeptical...so thought would ask you guys here... :) ...good to know nothing is bad... :) ..I still don't feel like using it..but well if its ok..I ll do it anyways...also I am not sure the exchanged bottle would not have the black specs...I am expecting the entire batch there would have them.. :glare:

I don't blame you for being leery of using it. But if everyone including the website says its normal, than I would think its ok to use.

I went immediately and checked my bottle and didn't see any, but if I ever do I won't panic about using it now.

I also checked my bottle when I read your post. I've been using Prime exclusively for the past couple of years and have never seen any black specks in any of the bottles I used. I would be leery of using any with black specks. Are they suppose to dissolve when you add it to water? If not, I am afraid of these specks affecting the gills of my fish.

• 2 weeks later...
No problem, I like your laughing dog.

Thanks Sly... :D ..I was really inspired to find him after I saw your smiling frog...I like the frog.. :)

Vickie, I would have checked mine too if I read this somewhere..you are right it isn't harmful..but thts good to know..cos I really flipped out... :)

I also checked my bottle when I read your post. I've been using Prime exclusively for the past couple of years and have never seen any black specks in any of the bottles I used. I would be leery of using any with black specks. Are they suppose to dissolve when you add it to water? If not, I am afraid of these specks affecting the gills of my fish.

When I add the prime with the specks to the water..I dont see them in the water at all..maybe they dissolve..I was worried abt my fish trying to eat them thinking its food..but serioudly I dont see them in the water at all..so I think its not an issue.. :) ...