A Couple Questions!

Guest Orandaa

Guest Orandaa

I often play with my fish a little before feeding them, I'll stick my hand in and they all like to rub against it, especially Garrisen my black moor. He likes me more than the other fish, he never swims with them but comes right to my hand whenever its there :P

Anyway, I noticed tonight that his right eye is a lot bigger than his left, I'd say atleast 1.5x the size of his left eye. Should I be concerned about this? I dont mean the eyeball itself, but moors usually have bulging eyes and his right one is buldging a lot moor (okay bad pun) than his left. Is this bad?

Also, Garrisen is a little slower than my ryukins and my lionhead. My ryukins and lionhead slap their body from side to side and swim pretty fast... but Garrisen seems to only use his fins and moves a little slower. When I fed them tonight, I noticed he got beat to the food by the other fish, he got some but not as much as the others. And whenever I tried to put a little bit on one side where he was, the others would come and steal it from him :(

I never noticed this to be an issue until tonight but I want to fix it before it turns into a possible problem. Any ideas? I dont have any other tanks to put him in.

First, I love your moor joke. I use that all the time hahaha

I am pretty sure with telescope eyed fish like the black moors, it is possible for one eye to bulge out more than the other. The thing here is, was it ALWAYS like that, or did it change.. If the eye has always just been a bit bigger, I think you have little to worry about. If it gets bigger quickly, it could be something else like Pop Eye, which is fluid built up behind the eye. It can be a sign of other things, so you do want to watch it. But if the fish is behaving normally, with just a bigger eye, it can very well just be something the fish was born with.. Just keep an eye on it for now. I believe others have also had black moors with different sized eyes.

Now, the eyes are actually a big factor in why the fish is having a hard time getting to the food. The big old bulgy eyes can make it difficult for these fish to see the food..They need to rely on smell, and habit. My black moor angel takes FOREVER to get her food. But she is alone in a tank, so it's okay... I've been feeding her at the same time each day, in the same spot and she is getting used to it.. She was getting used to sinking pellets and the first time I fed her krill it floated and she didn't know what to do. She spend a good 10 minutes sifting around the bottom for food, before realizing it was above her. It happened again when I gave her some orange on a veggie clip. She knew there was food in the tank, but she was slow about finding it.

Recenty I got two new moors from an auction. I noticed the same thing. When they are fed, it takes them longer to get going. Once they get going, it takes them longer to figure out where the food is..

Now my orandas are fast little piggies. The food is dropped in, and they swim to the food and devour it..If I were to put the telescopes in with the orandas, I know they would easily beat them to the food. But for me, the two types are kept seperate.

I think in your case, you just want to make sure that the Moor is getting his fair share. You said he likes you and comes to you. You could see if he would take a few pellets or flakes straight from your hand! He might do so, then you can make sure he gets a fair share of food before you feed the rest of them... You just want to make sure the other fish aren't getting it all and leaving him without any. : )

Guest Orandaa

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if his eye has always been like that... I never noticed it until the other day when I was playing with him... its not drastically bigger, in fact people wouldnt notice it if I didnt point it out Im sure. But regardless, it's there. I'll keep an eye (lol) on it.

I'll definitely try to hand feed him, that's a good tip! It'd be awesome if he went for it, it'd be even more fun to play with him :)

Thanks again!

Edit: I just noticed... if you look at my sig, the farthest picture is of Garrisen, my moor. It's actually his left eye (on OUR right). You can see how it's a bit bigger, it comes down towards his mouth a little more than his other one, although that picture isn't the best.

Edited by Orandaa

the first thing I noticed abt your moor in your sig...is his left eye...if thts how it has been and now is not bigger than it is in the pic..I think he is born like that...I dot think you need to worry..but yeah like Sue and you said keep a close eye on him...and gr88 tip on hand feeding by Sue...

one other thing..be careful when you play with him...sometimes the slime coat on their bodies comes off easily...and that is not a good thing for them..as it leaves their skin open/bare... :( i am sure you are careful with him.. :) but just something to watch out for.. :) ..btw he looks gr8 in your signature.. :D

Guest Orandaa

Yeah I know what you mean about the slime coating. He mostly nibbles at my fingers and I make a little ring with my index and thumb (Like the A-Okay sign) and he swims through it sometimes, I try not to rub him too much. If I do rub him a lot I put it a little stress coat to help rebuild the slime.

I've always had a soft spot for Garrisen because he's the standout, since he's not orange and/or white like the others, and he's always been a bit of a loner so I try to befriend him as much as I can :D

I was just looking at him for a while checking out his eye and its about the same size as in the pic. But I noticed something else, his back left caudal fin almost looks like it has a kink in it. The top part is fine and flowly, but the bottom part is kinda folded. Maybe Im being paranoid but he looks a bit slower than usual. Its been like this for a good 30 minutes or so.. any ideas?

When I first got my Dalamar he had one eye larger than the other. Over a year later they now both the same size. It never seemed to bother him, but caused me endless stress.

As he was a fast grower, once he got in a big tank and great water it all sorted out.

He is blind however from his early days but feeds well. I feed wardley sinking pellets (large) as he just gravel vacs and sucks them up.

His eyes are even now, he is HUGE 11inches and very very happy. so from his beginnings with odd eyes...all i can give u is reassurance. If u take great care and BEST water quality then I think ur baby will be fine and thrive like mine :)

Guest Orandaa

Thanks! :) That helps a lot.

I've always tried to keep the best water quality possible, but as we all sometimes do, I've slacked off a little. But tonight I did a full tank clean, my Ph level is in check, my ammonia/nitrites are reading 0 and the tank looks great! So I'm hopeful that everything will be alright :D

Thats great! Just make sure ( u may already know this so forgive me) that your nitrAtes have a reading. Never clean out all the tank at once.

Keep him in optimal conditions and just observe him, learn his behavior.

Over the years I found my most reliable resource (aside form this site) was OBSERVAION. Get to know the fish and soon you know if there is a problem.

Unfortunately moors are well known for eye defects, but if we as keepers (and lovers) of our fish can give them the best they can get..

Then in return ....well no need to say the benefits...I get rewarded every day I see my fish happy :)

S shall u :)

Guest Orandaa

Yeah, when I do a "full tank clean" I don't turn it into a new tank per se, I leave a little water in, and leave the filter the way it is and such. I had some algae growing and I scrubbed it off, put mostly fresh water in the tank, treated it and had it cycle for a while (I had my fish in another tank).

That's a good point about observation. I've noticed a few patterns with some of my goldies, I'll try to study my Moor a little.. moor :P

I've been reading a lot about pop-eye, and I'm keeping a close watch on Garrisen in case it turns out that's what he has. Although, I've read pop-eye is rarely fatal and can often heal itself.