Fish Tuberculosis And Snails

~SHAWNA~

Whether the snail dies from the disease may be one thing, but it is certain that they will carry the disease and pass it on to other fish, and in the case of TB, possibly to humans.

The infected tank houses guppies and platies. Here is a diagram of symptoms being experienced between healthy fish to sick fish, resulting inevitably in fatality.

SickFishDiagram.jpg

I am just getting ready to head to work. I will post more details shortly (from work, but shhhhhhhh ;) Fish Forums at work?? Me?? :o haha)

Oh my goodness, I would be greatful to ANYONE that could come up with another explanation. Unfortunately, with all of the research that I have done, I can only find that as a cause. Considering there is no cure other than the euthanism of everything in the tank and sterilization. That breaks my heart, especially to my poor snailys of which I am so proud of. I could cry. LFS does not test for TB. (I checked), but they said that they also agree that the symptoms point in that direction.

This goes back almost a year ago I guess it would be. I was lucky enough (or so I thought) to be given a HUGE stock of guppie babys I found in a classified ad. And that is when this started. Sudden deaths, arched backs, wasted stomachs. Massive death throughout population, noticable in my older fish. I treated the tank with antibiotics. Some of the fish were never effected, and those fish grew up to be healthy looking individuals. I thought I had beaten this unknown battle. I added some fantastic snail babies about 6 months ago. They were fine. I then added some baby platies about a month ago, first new fish additions. And then this unknown disease was back. After much research, some hesistation to admit, I am at the conclusion that there is no other explanation.

Oh my goodness, I would be greatful to ANYONE that could come up with another explanation. Unfortunately, with all of the research that I have done, I can only find that as a cause. Considering there is no cure other than the euthanism of everything in the tank and sterilization. That breaks my heart, especially to my poor snailys of which I am so proud of. I could cry. LFS does not test for TB. (I checked), but they said that they also agree that the symptoms point in that direction.

This goes back almost a year ago I guess it would be. I was lucky enough (or so I thought) to be given a HUGE stock of guppie babys I found in a classified ad. And that is when this started. Sudden deaths, arched backs, wasted stomachs. Massive death throughout population, noticable in my older fish. I treated the tank with antibiotics. Some of the fish were never effected, and those fish grew up to be healthy looking individuals. I thought I had beaten this unknown battle. I added some fantastic snail babies about 6 months ago. They were fine. I then added some baby platies about a month ago, first new fish additions. And then this unknown disease was back. After much research, some hesistation to admit, I am at the conclusion that there is no other explanation.

There may be another answer. Guppies inbreed, and these can be signs of severe inbreeding. I had to euthanize many after I noticed the arched back and such before I was informed about the inbreeding prob. Once I started getting a few new males and outbreeding, the fry started coming out and growing up much better looking and healthier. Unless the new fish have developed it and it's still only in the guppies, then I would seperate the guppies from all the other fish and keep the males in a different tank. Different males may make a difference.

Unfortunately Roni, unless I misunderstood Shawna, inbreeding wouldn't have any effect on her older and established fish that were in the tank before the guppy fry. I also just got several guppy fry, but Pinkie(my betta) had sbd before they arrived. Otherwise I would be panicking.

If you truly think this is TB, please be cautious as I have understood that it is transferable to humans if you have a cut or scrape and come in contact with the water or affected fish. If this IS TB, you have no choice but to euthanize I guess.

Sigh. Soooo very sorry, Shawna. :cry1