Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Bought A Ranchu Today,

The White Koi "Ping" needed a friend. The little teeny commet that was in with him died suddenly yesterday. I had the commet for almost a week and a half and I saw him nibble a pellet a few times, but he was very disinterested in food. I tried 3 different pellets, flakes, and bloodworms..... I checked his mouth and all was in order. His gills looked good too!

He was swimming around and seemed healthy. They I noticed some black marks on his fins and side.

My water had no ammonia, and no nitrites, 1 ppm nitrate and the pH was it's usual 8. So I guess he was healing from the feeder tank at the store? I don't really know. All I know was that he was swimming around fine, and the next hour he was stuck to the filter dead =o(

Anyway I thought that I should buy a fat friendly, friend for Ping. I thought maybe a tame calm fish would help ease his stress and he would start coming out of hiding. He hides all day long......

Then when he is not stressed anymore, I can switch the Ranchu, and add Kuchibeni (common) or Tammy Faye (Shubunkin) as a friend. Kuchibeni and Tammy are still nuts, or I would have just added them. They have just started coming up to get food from me (it's been 2 months) and I was afraid if I moved them, they would become stressed all over again.

Anyway, the store had one orange telescope eye, but the other fish were chasing it around LOL! I don't need any more eggs right now...so I bought a fat funny Ranchu, named Chubby.

I will post a picture of him in the memebers photos.

He is very cute LOL

Jessica

I just love those chubby-wubby ranchus! My favorite!

Oh Lovely Goldfish I did not answer how I make room, for "Just one more fish" LOL.

First of all you need to stockpile filters, like a mother load of them haahaa.

Personally I like really big fancy fish in my tanks. Defects on those fish are ok, such as different sized eyes, bent fins etc, but I like them big. I love all my fish, I don't see any of them as lesser fish.

I like to buy small fish too, and grow them out in rubbermaid containers. By the time they are the 4.5-6" that I would like them to be, I have a big aquarium ready for them....and then new fish go in the rubber maid LOL.

I do have small fish in aquariums too, but I find that the rubbermaids are the bomb, for growing them out. They have a lot of room in those, and it is really cheap and easy (if you have the space) to give one or two fish 50 gals each! They grow like bloody weeds when they have that kind of room.

So start hoarding filters LOL. And air pumps depending on the type of filter being used. And then you can say..."why yes, I do have room for just one more fish" :lol

Jessica

Thanks! This is my first Ranchu. He looks like my lionhead to me though heeheehee.

I think I responded to Lovely Goldfish on the wrong thread whoops :rofl

Jessica

wow no wonder! so you must have like 10 of the 50 gal rubbermaids laying outside with 2 fish in each :rofl is that lionhead white? LOL and when you mean by grow like weeds, how many inches a year are you talking about? man I wish my fish grew faster

No, the Ranchu is White and Orange =o)

I'm not sure how many inches per year, because I have not had any fish in the rubbermaids for a year yet =o). The longest that I've had any in rubber maids was November. And they have grown already, Kuchibeni has almost doubled his size. I am guessing that their growth will be slower once they get larger.

Jessica

I :wub: all colours of fish! But white is my favorite. I used to have a mostly white pony LOL. White animals are always my favorites, I don't know why!

In things other than animals, red and black and pink are my favorite colours.

I could not have ALL white fish, I need some colour ;o) ;) Heeheehee

Jessica

hmm Jess...exactly where do you sleep the bath tub or a rubbermaid?

The fish sound like they have all the room :rolleyes:

Richy LOL LOL.

I Have one tank in the living room, the 44 gal. Everything else is in the laundry room.

We have this one big room in the basement that is just a laundry room and "junk" room. I cleared out some junk aka through it in the garbage and I have a whole big room to play with.

It has weight equipment but who needs weights, that can go too....haahaahaa.

Jessica

Guest sourmilknightmares

You're not joking about stockpiling on the filters! A year ago I bought 3 betta kits for my three bettas and my brother bought two. Today only one is in use as a kit. I found them too small to be able to function properly and having so many in one room really does things to you after a while lol.

So for a while I just had all the pumps and tubes sitting around until recently I decided to try new fish. They certainly came in handy! I have one pump and tube on my guppy's sponge filter, another one with my new goldies as well as a filter I had around. The extra tubes really come in handy for small siphoning jobs and other stuff. It really is just so great to just reach in a bag and already have whatever you need to set up a new fishie tank! It is also a great excuse to buy more fish "I have all this stuff laying around. It really should be put to use..." ;)

As soon as I get some money saved up I'm gonna buy one of those rubbermaids for my little commons and see how they like that! They'll be in fishie paradise!

actually, why not just buy a big table and buy like 6 of the 10 gallon tanks? you can then sit the tanks on the table and be in paradise as you watch one fish in each tank grow. you may be able to fit 4 20 gals instead then have 8 new fishies! also why have so many rubbermaids, why not buy a 200 gallon kiddie wading pool and buy a mesh screen as cover and put 10 fish in there?. Jessica, what would you do if all your fish turned white? :rofl also does Marshal ever post here?

Guest ktpuff

I love Ranchus - my next fish will definitely be one! And chubby little ones are just the cutest.

Congrats on your newest addition.

Ranchus are so neat! :D Congrats on the new member of your tank!

Thanks for the nice comments on Chubby the Ranchu everyone!

Lovely Goldfish Marshall is my horse heeheehee, so no, he doesn't post here very often ;)

Jessica

Does Marshall tell you what to write for him though?

Maybe you should invest in a "hoof size" keyboard...