Help Whitespot

Guest fishyfishyfish

Guest fishyfishyfish

My pigging fish have got whitespot!!!

Should i treat immediately or wait a while? - I've never had whitespot before so i don't know the procedure.

It only seems to be affecting 2 & a half of the 5 fish - 2 defo's & 1 showing symptoms but no whitespots.

Edited by fishyfishyfish

"Whitespot" is ich. Ich is a parasite that lives in the water and substrate of almost all aquariums and will attack your fish when they are stressed or ill usually. Over the counter meds that you get at pet stores or wallyworld are very harsh and not only can stress your fish out more, they can kill your cycle and cause more harm than good for your fish.

I'm not understanding how it can be affecting 2 1/2 of your fish, lol, but if one fish has it they all have it. The best remedy for ich is salt. NOT TABLE SALT! You can use aquarium salt, of course, but rock salt, canning salt, and kosher salt can be purchased at the grocery for next to nothing. Just make sure that it has no anti-caking ingredients as that will harm your fish. I'm sure you know to dissolve the salt in tank water before you add it.

You need to salt to .3% and slowly raise the water temp in your tank to 80F. This speeds up the life cycle of the little boogers so you can get rid of them faster. If you have gravel as a substrate, you will need to do a thorough vacuuming of your gravel every day to rid it of the ich larvae. As the ich fall off of your fish, they fall into the gravel with larvae and the cycle starts all over. Salt kills them, is gentle on your fish and won't crash your cycle. Your fish may look worse before they look better as the life cycle is being sped up by the salt. Don't panic at this...just stay the course with the salt. It WILL cure them.

Here is a link that will explain all you need to know about medicinal salting for ich:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

Good luck, and remember: TRUST THE SALT!!! IT WILL WORK!!

NO!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!! :noway:badidea

Just wanted to make sure you got the message, lol! Cooking salt contains anti-caking ingredients that will kill your fish.

You can use:

Aquarium salt

Kosher salt

Canning salt

Rock salt

All are available at your grocery store in the spices and baking department and are around $1.

Guest fishyfishyfish

Thanks for the help but do you have a more (leymans guide) for the salt dosage - e.g. 1 teaspoon of salt per galon or something like that - p.s. i'm in uk so galon to me equals 4.55 litres.

Also how long should i treat for & do i change water between doses?

Thanks

Salt is reference in volume, i.e., 0.1%, 0.2% and 0.3%. 0.1%=1 tsp salt per gallon, 0.2%=2 tsp salt per gallon and 0.3%=3 tsp salt per gallon. Increase the dosage every 12 hours from 0.1% to 0.2% and finally to 0.3%.

Remember when you do water changes, you are removing equal amounts of salt that need to be replaced. So, if you remove 50% of the water, you're removing 50% of the salt. If you have a 50 gallon tank and have added 0.3% salt, you have added 150 tsp salt. If you do a 50% water change, then you've removed 75 tsp salt, so you would need to add back in 75 tsp salt. Btw, 3 tsp=1 Tblsp., just to make measuring easier. Oh, and, with ich, you need to do very large water changes, 80%-90%, to remove as many parasites and eggs as possible.

Also, anti-caking agents in salt are also identified as being "iodized." You don't want any salt that say it's been iodized. Pretty much you can be sure that if the salt is still in rock form, it hasn't been iodized. The anti-caking agents stop the finely ground salt from sticking together and creating clumps of salt, so, with a rock salt, there's no worry of that.