Fish Too Heavy After Eating?

Guest Orandaa

Guest Orandaa

My fish seem to get lazy after they eat, is it normal?

To explain... When I feed them, I usually drop a couple pellets in just to get them into action, so they all start swimming up and eating the few pellets. Then I drop the rest in and they eat most of it in about 30 seconds. There's usually about 25% left over just floating there, and often my fish will look at the remaining food, and swim about halfway up to get it but stop before they get there, then swim back down to the bottom. I'm thinking they get lazy and heavy after they eat.

Its like how we feel after eating a big turkey dinner :P Just wanna lay back and relax lol

I've never seen my To' do that, even after a decent-sized meal.

Maybe someone will have a better answer, but it might be too much food? I don't know enough to help more, I'm afraid.?

Guest Orandaa

I thought it might be too much food... but most food containers say feed as much as fish will consume in 2 minutes. And Like I said my fish usually eat for 30 seconds then stop... so I dont know, its strange..

but most food containers say feed as much as fish will consume in 2 minutes.

I never have gone by those instuctions, I just put in the amount that I think is right, regardless of how long it takes my fish to eat it. The container also says to feed their food 2-3 times a day, and that is a no-no with goldfish. (And what I mean to say is that, for instance, you shouldn't feed flakes/pellets 2 times a day, but maybe flakes/pellets once, and fruit/veggie once.)

So anyways... It sounds like your fish are getting enough food, so I think it's OK if they don't seem interested. I would put in a little less food if there are leftovers hanging around in the tank. If there are leftovers, scoop them out since it's just more waste accumulating at the bottom.

Guest Orandaa

Yeah I always make sure to clean out the extra food laying around. Thanks for the tips :D I'll just give them as much as they normally eat in that short period of time.

I'm thinking they get lazy and heavy after they eat.

With our fish, we noticed a big difference between feeding pellets and feeding other stuff (like peas, gelfood, any type of fruit or vegetable): while they keep looking around for more food in case of the second category, feeding them pellets seemed to cause them to 'eat their fill' and then just hang around acting a bit lethargic.

Although this is just a hypothesis, my girlfriend and I both think that the pellets can be seen as 'overly rich' food, and after the goldfish have a bit in their stomach, all their energy is immediately focussed on digestion, while the other sorts of food are (though healthy) much less energy dense, and as such they would only need to take up / digest a piece at a time, while they continue searching for more bits of food. This would concur with what most people also experience (feeling slow after a heavy meal). Keep in mind though, that it's just a hypothesis ...

Guest Orandaa

Sounds like a good hypothesis. I think you're atleast on the right track to figuring out this mystery.. I havn't fed them peas in a while, I'll try it tonight and I'll see how they act afterwards :D

Another thing I've found is that gf tend to "pouch" their food. That is, they get as much in their mouths as they can and then they float around gumming it all until they can get it swallowed. But, if they see another piece of food, they might try to go for it, but realize they can't fit anything more in their mouths when they get there. My goldfish do this and I finally figured out that's what they're doing because I'd see them do this same thing; go after food, but then turn away, but once now and then, they'd spit out a whole mouthful of food in lieu of going after the new piece.

Guest Orandaa

Ooh that may be it, as well. Although I havnt seen them spit out a large amount of food, however thats not to say it hasn't happened. I'll keep a close eye on them next time I feed them. As long as it's nothing serious :)

I think it would make sense!!! I know for a fact that if I eat a salad, or some fruit I feel full but not BLOATED and gross, and still feel active. But on Thanksgiving after a lot of Turkey and Potatoes, I sure don't feel like moving around!! Maybe for fish the pellets are like Thanksgiving every day! (That would be yummy though! LOL)

Guest Orandaa

I wish I could have turkey dinner every night! :D

But you're right, after eating certain foods we feel a certain way and I think maybe fish are like that too :D I never did feed my fish veggies the other night like I was going to, but I just did a full tank clean and I think I'll reward them for surviving it with some veggies :)

Guest Orandaa

So I fed my guys some broccoli tonight and they were hesitant at first, but I tricked them by putting 2 or 3 little pellets in the water then they started eating everything. I didnt notice them doing the thing they've been doing with just the pellets, swimming part way up to them and stopping. So it may just be the pellets. Im also going to switch to sinking pellets once my container of floating pellets is empty. That should help too.

Love the brokoli! Peas are great too!

I too do not follow instructions on th pack that says feed 3 times a day

I feed all my fish once a day only and every 7th day I fast them then feed them peas.

Dalamar is blind so he only eats large sinking pellets my LFS orders in for me personally. As he gravel vacs for the food because he can not see it he eats slowly, he will chew for ages.

All fish are unique.Just observe them and their individual behavior, over time you will get to know how much they need.