Ph Help!

I did my weekly PH check today and im very low! Around 6.2-6.4

I went to the LFS today to get some buffer but I realized it was for Marine tanks :rofl Silly me!

I heard that baking soda works too- is that right? How much should I use?

Can I still use the Marine buffer? Its seachem make...

Thanks!

I am not sure about the buffer, but yes you CAN use baking soda to temporarily raise the PH. I can't give you an exact amount, it depends on so many things. Try adding about a tablespoon at first, and see what it does. Then based on that you can decide if you want to wait a little while, or add more. When I was testing out baking soda, I added some to a bucket of tank water to play around with, that way I wasn't messing with the fish until I was sure what to add.

Long term I've seen two things suggested. Buff It Up from Goldfish Connection. com. And adding crushed coral to your tank.. I have never used either of these personally, but I have heard of success with them.

Have you tested your water for ammonia? Ph crashes can coincide with ammonia spikes. If you haven't done so, I would check that out for sure, and test often until you get the Ph straighted out.

:)

Not neccessarily... If you can get a hold of an ammonia drop test, it is very important. You can buy them by themselves for around $7..(or cheaper depending on the store)..

Let us know how things go with upping that PH, and make sure to check back here, because someone with more experience dealing with PH may have more suggestions for you, and be able to tell you about the Buffer product you bought! Good Luck! :D

Everything Sue has said is great, but I just want to add one thing.

If your tap water pH is okay, I would do a big water change to help your fish out. Keep testing and change the water when needed while you look for a long term fix.

If your tap water pH is okay, I would do a big water change to help your fish out. Keep testing and change the water when needed while you look for a long term fix.

Yes of COURSE! How could I have missed that?!?! Thanx Claire!!! :)

So I added some baking soda just now to my water- It went up immediately! Im at about 7.4 now. Ill go tomorrow to get some freshwater buffer so that stays permanently. If it keeps fluctuating because i keep adding baking soda then my fishies might go into PH shock. :cry