I'd Like A Tank On My Desk

Guest Isilme

Guest Isilme

Because we're all biologists and plants don't talk back AND because my supervisor left today because he has another job and I'm all alone in my office room AND because I really want a yellow gf but don't have the room in my tank at home, I had this idea to put a tank on my desk :D One of our colleages (and friend!) has a chameleon in a terrarium, so a gf tank would be ok I think.

Now, what whould be the most suitable? Because It's difficult to do huge waterchanges, I think a moderate tank is the best option. I really like the concept and shape of these bioOrb things or hexagon tanks, but are they gf friendly???

Because I don't think the tank will be like 50 gallons or so, maybe fancy gf will be better than commets/commons because of the 20gal/gf rule. Is is doable to keep fancies (I think we can only buy moors and fantails here in belgium) in a tank in an office?

Feeding them will be no problem, because there are enough gf minded people running around (Erinaceus for example, who might be joining me in my office, allez, that was the plan...).

I really like external filters and I think that will be the best option because of the easy maintenance. You guys think the same?

Any suggestions, remarks, questions, reactions, second opinions, thoughts,... are welcome, because I think I should really know the pro's and cons before I start this.

Nothing better than a gf tank at work... :D I would love to have one too.. :heart

50 gallon on your desk??..each gallon of water is roughly 8 pounds..so we are talking about 400 pounds+weight of the tank and filter..and decor of course..is just a desk sturdy enough for this???that would be a concern...

Then again hexagon and bioorb are not ideal shaped tanks for goldfish..cos they grow big..longer tanks than taller are always preferred...I always like the rectangular long, or the bowfront tanks for goldfish...that gives them good surface area for breathing as well..so yeah I would say these are not gf friendly.. :)

Fancies are a gr8 option..but water changes are a must..50% once every week..and 100% monthly (I do a 90% cos I don't like to get the fish out of their tank.. :) )..but thats just me...so if you think this is going to be dificult at work, then I would suggest not having the tank there.. :(

Filtration is most important for goldfish...I am sure you are aware of the 10 times higher filtration capacity rule as well..meaning for a 50 gallon you are loking at 500gph filtration...you can use two 250gph filters as well.. :) ..I am a fan of external filters too..undergravel filters like Lynda says should be used only if one knows the proper method to use them..and also if you want an easy to maintain tank...a bare bottom one works like wonders..very easy to maintain and beautiful too.. :)

I guess all this is just me...maybe more experienced memebers and mods can throw light upon a lot of others tips too.. :) ..good luck with the new venture...

Unless you have room for at least a 20 gallon tank on your desk I would not even try a gf on your desk. However there are many great looking 5 gallon tanks that would be great for a betta.

Guest Isilme

I think a 20 gallon wouldn't be a problem...

I was also thinking about a beta in a smaller tank, but do they have personality like gf do? I had one in my tropical tank a few years ago and I liked it but didn't seem to get attached to it that much. Maybe if it is on my desk it will be better.

I also think that someone on this forum will help me if there was a tank with black moors inside our office... :)

bettas actually have a ton of personality imo. they take a little while to come out of their shell but they really remind me of cats. goldfish are more like the dogs of the fish world...(feed me!, watch me play!, feed me!, watch me play!, watch me poop!, feed me!, watch me poop!) aka water puppies. bettas on the other hand are more reserved...(bow to me human, watch me be pretty, bow to me human, give me food, bow to me human). my bettas each have a very different personality. one of my bettas is very relaxed, kinda just hangs out. my other one is a bit more spastic. but they both beg for food. very cute. and they come in so many different varieties and colors its hard to choose just one. plus i HATE seeing them in those horrible plastic cups.

Betta would be the best for the office desk. Smaller tank & less mess . GF would not be a good idea

Nothing will ever compare to a goldfish.

However if you can get some space somewhere in the office then a GF tank would be a good idea.

Just gonna put in my agreements. 20 gallons would be great if you can keep up with the w/c. I love the look of the biorbs, but they're just no good for gfs. I've never had a betta, but I have heard that, the more water they're given, the more lively they become. They'd look great in a biorb. So, I think it comes down to what your office would let you get away with and what amount of effort you're willing to put into it.

I agree with above posts-- a goldfish tank would be a lot for just on a desk. Plus frequent waterchanges, the upkeep of the thing... A smaller tank (5 gallons?) or a biorb with a betta would be cool, and easier to take care of... or a tank with shrimp and lots of plants. Some tall live plants, add a few ghost shrimp or cherry shirmp, and call a tank! If I had a small tank, I think that's what I would do with it.

My turn my turn! : )

I agree that the weight of the tank would be a concern. How much weight can the desk handle? As long as you could make sure the desk was able to handle the weight, I think it's a fun idea!!!!

Now, you have your office to yourself. Any possibilty of just getting a cheap goldie stand, that way the weight wouldn't be a concern? Maybe a 29 gallon, for two fancies??? If you did that, you would have a little extra water room than required... Then maybe you could do small changes more often, as opposed to large changes weekly, since doing a large amount of water is a problem.

The betta idea is good one if you must place the tank on the desk or if the desk can't handle the weight. A small 5 gallon tank with one betta will be super easy to maintain, and not as heavy. (Still heavy though.. I have a 5 gallon tank on my daughters dresser. It is already started to push the dresser down where it doesn't want to open.. I have to move this thing soon).

My thing with the bettas is this.. I think they are beautiful. I have two of them.. They are pretty and elegant.. And I do enjoy them. They are easy to take care of..

But for me, personally, I don't get the same enjoyment out of them, that I do with the goldies.. They do have a personality for sure, but the goldies have this sweet personality. No matter what you do they come up with their bigs eyes, flapping their fins like little puppies... I see so much more personality in them then I do with bettas/trops. Water changes for the bettas are boring.. They hide and get scared. It's just maintence work for me. Water changes with the goldies are FUN! You can spend time with them. The way they chase you around and nibble on your finger... I actually ENJOY the water changes in ways, becayse they make it soo cute.

But since you said that water changes are a problem, a betta might be the way to go. Or, maybe even a 5 gallon with two male guppies. That is what balashark suggested to me!! They are beautiful too...

bettas actually have a ton of personality imo. they take a little while to come out of their shell but they really remind me of cats. goldfish are more like the dogs of the fish world...(feed me!, watch me play!, feed me!, watch me play!, watch me poop!, feed me!, watch me poop!) aka water puppies. bettas on the other hand are more reserved...(bow to me human, watch me be pretty, bow to me human, give me food, bow to me human). my bettas each have a very different personality. one of my bettas is very relaxed, kinda just hangs out. my other one is a bit more spastic. but they both beg for food. very cute. and they come in so many different varieties and colors its hard to choose just one. plus i HATE seeing them in those horrible plastic cups.

:rofl So hilarous how you type the gf and the betta!

Betta's are idd really beautiful and you're right that it's easier maintenance.

Maybe I should sketch my desk a little bit better. My desk is in a room of approx. 10m*4m (400inch * 160inch). Now there are only two people here (me and a friend/colleague). Sitting on a big table/desk with computer etc. If we wanted to, we could put a 100 gallon tank here (in a room across the hall they have a 200 gallon tank I think...).

Steffi (the friend next to me) just told me she had a tank at home that isn't being used... :D

Those fish will be a lot more interesting to watch than the animals on my desk. 2 african frogs (no idea about species) but I think that those are the most boring animals ever. I feed them, spray them, etc. and all they do is breath, eat, blink and when I'm lucky that day they might even move half an inch. :blink: Almost every one asked so far: "are they plastic models?" Me: "Nope, you can see them breath".

btw: Isilme, where you referring to the tank Jonathan and Bart have (Those cyclids and turtles?)

Edited by Quasi

Needless to say I'm all for it :D:krazy: .

The size problem might be limited a bit if we for instance keep a young goldie in there for about 2 years. By that time, when it's gotten larger, I'm fairly certain I'll have a tank at our place to house it. That way the size of the tank would be less of an issue.