Eggs Everywhere

32flavors

I just walked by my 75 gallon to find my tiny 1 1/2 inch fish dropping eggs everywhere. She is alone in there now so they won't be fertile. I was just wondering if 5 or so hours is too long to wait to do a water change. That way I won't have a toddler trying to "help" me.

Guest Isilme

I'm not sure, but after a while I think she'll see the eggs and think: "ah nice food...". I think you should have an ammonia-peak then, but if you change the water in 5 hours I think you'll be fine. 75 gallons is also a lot of water to dillute the ammonia and I think your bacteria will be feasting to ;)

Guest Isilme

Sounds really funny to watch :) What does the todler think of all this?

Is it possible to take a picture or something? Sounds so cute to see such a tiny fish in that huge tank :)

She was watching for a minute, but it's hard to keep a 2 year old's attention on one thing. Unfortunately the only camera I have right now is really old and I have no video camera. I don't think I could get a very good picture. This tiny fish was a rescue almost 2 months ago. she was the smallest in the tank and was really getting picked on and missing alot of scales. I couldn't leave her there. I guess I should be happy that she's healthy enough to be dropping eggs now. I'm heading back to the tank to see if she's done lol.

Good lawd! Babies having babies! When will this madness end! :tomuch: And then eating them! Well, at least she won't have to go on Welfare! :rofl3 Somehow I've lucked out so far with my fancies and have only managed to get boys! I did have one comet that laid eggs in my pond. Was so strange! I have no idea how long they'd been there, but I took them out right away! Point is, leaving them in there for a while didn't seem to hurt the water.

I'm getting ready to do a water change now, but I swear it's still going. She lays eggs, eats, poops, lays more eggs. Will she ever stop? And she's so tiny, I never expected it from her. OMG this fish is exhausting. I'm sure it's because I did a 75% ish water change yesterday. With that tank, it's a bit of a chore so I should have expected something to come up.