Terrified To Suck Up A Fish

Guest Isilme

Guest Isilme

When I do waterchanges (and no vacuming of the bottom) I use a hose to "suck" the water out of the tank into a bucket (like most people do I think...). The only thing that worries me is to suck a fish out of the aquarium :unsure: I'm always really careful and such, but some fish are so nosy and want to come and peek and I'm so frightened that in a slip moment they'll get sucked into the tube and get stuck somewhere in between or something...

So, does anyone know a low tech solution for this? I try to keep the opening of the hose almost against the glass, but I'd feel more relaxed if I know that the fish can't even get into the hose (like on the instream part of the filter).

I had a fish go up the tube once(she charged in after a piece of poo). Now I keep my light on and use both hands to move her away from the tube and that works for her. I have another fish that I was really worried about and is faster so I just corral him in a little floating plastic basket while I do a wc and that way I don't have to worry about distractions or anything like that. My tropicals have a natural fear of the tube that keeps them away so I don't have to do anything with them which is nice :) I think some people have used netting over the end to keep fish out which is a great idea too.

You can put a piece of mesh or pantyhose over the end and secure it with a rubber band. Just make sure it's something with holes that are big enough to allow the waste to get through. And you're right to worry, a few people here have accidently injured their fish with gravel vacs.

Guest Isilme

What a nice idea, netting and/or panty hoses. Never thought of that! I was thinking about really difficult plastic things with holes in and such ;)

Vlekje and Shubi (my two males) are really curious about the green hose. Maybe they think it's some kind of crazy punky female gf or something and try to impress her, because they always stick their noses near the tube and scare the living daylight out of me...

I sucked my little lionhead up once. Scared the crap out of me. That quick little thing just darted in there so fast I didn't even see it coming. But, I have the big siphon where the main tube that goes in the water is about 2 inches in diameter, so there was plenty of room in that tube for the fish to fit comfortably, and the connection hole that leads into the hose itself was smaller than the fish, so there would've been no chance of the fish actually going through the hose, but it still scared me! But, of course, my main reaction was to immediately pull up the siphon and as soon as some of the suction pressure and water went down, my little lionhead dropped right back down in the water no worse for wear. I don't think it even really realized what had happened. But, now, I do keep an eye out for where they are.

I think fishnet stockings or other large holed netting sounds like a great idea though!

Guest Orandaa

What I do is I hold my fish net and a toothpick through the mesh (pulling back a little, so you dont suck up the net) and I hold the hose with my other hand, no problems :)

I always vacuum the gravel when I do waterchanges so that helps keep fish out a little bit. Even some of my trops (platy and betta) like to get too close to it and I have sucked up my betta girl part way--very scary indeed! My catfish also like to follow it around seeing what kind of goodies I stirred up.

One time though, I did kill a gf that way--a shubie I hadn't had all that long. I wasn't paying enough attention and wondered why all of a sudden the siphon stopped working. He had gone head first up the tube and got stuck--the suction pulled his head up in the smaller intake tubing and damaged his neck apparently. I got him out immediately but after a few gasps he was gone! Let me tell you after that incident I am very cautious about watching what I'm doing at all times. It was horrible and I never told anyone here about it before because I was too ashamed to admit my careless mistake. :(

Guest Orandaa

Aw, while that is a sad story Kristi it's more than forgivable that these things happen. We know you didn't mean to do that to your goldfish, and often times their curiosity can lead them into bad situations. So although I know you feel bad about it, it's not your fault :)