Prazi Pro Strange Thing

Hi,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. There was nothing wrong with my fish. But I decided to do a prazi pro treatment because I have my fish almost a year and I have never done a fluke treatment. So I did the treatment as directed, everything was fine. Then it was time to do the water change. I changed out maybe 75% or more of the water like always. All my fish became lethargic. Two were bottom sitting. One was loafing around sort of drunk like. My largest fish was in the corner floating with his head up, and smallest fish was in the same corner, floating with her head down.

Then my fiance starts yelling at me. See, you killed them.... you and your water changing.... (This is the guy that says he doesn't care about the fish they are your hobby, your fish.) Then a big huge poop came out of the largest fish, but he was still floating there. I told him well, they are probably constipated, and I went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning everything was back to normal. I fasted them for one day and fed peas for two days.

My question is, has anyone had this experience after doing a prazi treatment? And what the heck was going on?

Edited by kittyfiends

Wow, I don't know but that must have scared the beejeebus out of you! I've never heard of Prazi having that effect, but I'm glad everything is back to normal now.

wow...I am just glad they are all fine and doing well..but yeah I would be worried and eager to find out what happened??..I have been treating my fish for flukes with Prazi..and he did not behave this way at all..

The only time I've had a fish have a negative reaction to prazi, was when the fish actually HAD flukes... As the flukes are being killed off, a fish can sometimes act worse at first. My fish Angel did this. She was acting sick, and we concluded that it might be flukes. I dosed her with the prazi, and for the next few hours, I thought she was at death's door.. She looked SOOOO bad. Then all of a sudden, she perked RIGHT up instantly. And has been a happy little girl ever since! : ) I've had her almost 3 months now..

It does seem strange that you've had the fish for SO long. I would think that if the fish DID have flukes, you would have had a problem at some point. But who knows? Either way, I am so glad your fish is back to normal! :)

Thank you Sue, this would make sense. Actually when I bought my white fish I quarantined him for a month salted ect. He did have some red spots that the salt took away. But I never used prazi pro. So maybe they did have them. But it's weird they had this reaction after I removed the prazi pro by a water change.

You're right, that doesn't seem to make sense that it would happen after the water change... Maybe it was something unrelated. Like, is it possible you forgot the dechlorinator?? Or maybe the temp was wrong. Or maybe for some odd reason the PH was off, and by doing a LARGE 75% water change it shocked the fish??? (None of these things on purpose of course, just an accident ya know?).

I am just really glad they are back to normal for ya! : ) It's always scary when they start acting weird and you can't figure out why!!

I'm glad it disappeared really fast. I can imagine the stress you must have gone through :wacko: .

It's always scary when they start acting weird and you can't figure out why!!

Yeah, thee same goes for girls sometimes :rolleyes: . (nah, just kidding. When Miki's acting upset about something, I usually notice it before she does and get here to figure out what's bothering her :rolleyes: )

LOL With us girls, that's practically every second of everyday huh?? Us and our moods! LOL I don't know how men put up with it at times..

Some are worth the trouble ^_^ (but we're getting a bit off topic here I think :P ).

You're not the only one that happens to. I know several people who will only dose with the powdered prazi instead of the premixed liquid because their fish get very lethargic after the dose. Out of curiosity, what's your water like? I've wondered if there is a difference in the way the fish react based on pH or hardness.

If mine have flukes, they tend to dive around and flash like crazy for a bit when the prazi starts to work.

I've never used the liquid. I have the PraziPro from Goldfish Connection..

Angel did a bit of both... Flashing then Bottom Sitting BEFORE the meds were given. Then once the prazi was given, it was the same thing. Flashing for a bit, then bottom sitting.

Very Interesting, I do 90% water changes every week. My ph is about 7.4 to 7.5 in the tank. My Tap water is like 8 or so out of the tap. But even immediately after a 90 % water change the ph in the tank is still 7.5. Kh out of the tap is like 89 and gh 107. Kh in the tank is about 71.6 and gh 107.

My tap water has chloramines. My tank has been amm 0- nitrIte 0 and NitrAtes 0 and the temp is like 78 to 80 degrees. My tank IS cycled, it's been running since 11/24/2007. I never had to be changing the water on it everyday because I took the filters off my cycled 29 gallon (as per Daryl's suggestion) and added more filters to this tank. I think the reason the nitrates do not show up on the tests is because the algae is eating it up. If there is algae there has to be nitrates.

My tank is a 55 gallon. I have a rena xp3 canister filter on it with a sac of crushed coral in one of the bins. A 350 bio wheel and a 200 bio wheel . So that's 900gph filtering.

I use prime and kent's goldfish additive. One cap of prime and two caps of the goldfish additive. I definitely added the additives.

But Sue has a point that the city may have done something to the water. I live in Florida and the water change day was around one of the hurricanes. Maybe they got a little too generous with those chloramines. The whole thing was really weird. I'm just happy they are all doing well now :)

Edited by kittyfiends