Can Salt Disrupt The Cycling Process?

Guest NIMO

It depends at what level you have the salt. I see you are running 0.2%. This is okay. Beneficial bacteria can die off somewhat with higher levels of salt in tank set-ups that are not stable. 0.2% should be fine. This level will also protect your fishes gills from the damaging long-term health effects of nitrites in the water.

The main problem with salting while cycling is the dosage one. Daily partial water changes= replacing exactly the salt taken out and unless you keep a log meticulously its very easy to overdose which will set back the cycle and also not be good for the fish.

It depends at what level you have the salt. I see you are running 0.2%. This is okay. Beneficial bacteria can die off somewhat with higher levels of salt in tank set-ups that are not stable. 0.2% should be fine. This level will also protect your fishes gills from the damaging long-term health effects of nitrites in the water.

The main problem with salting while cycling is the dosage one. Daily partial water changes= replacing exactly the salt taken out and unless you keep a log meticulously its very easy to overdose which will set back the cycle and also not be good for the fish.

Hi Trinket. I was wondering ... does that mean that it's even advisable to use low concentrations of salt when cycling with fish in the tank?

During the nitrite phase of cycling its definitely a good idea to salt. Some people suggest 0.1%, some 0.2%. No more. Since 0.1% is so much easier to keep track of it's probably better. There is no need or benefit at all to use salt during the first ammonia phase.