Getting A New Fish

Hi all,

I think I know the answers, but I just want to do things right. My 30 gallon is now cycled and I get back from Chicago tonight, so Geoff and I are going to pick out our first fish on Saturday. After that I'm taking a shopping trip with Lynda so I can pick her brain :rolleyes: ...lucky me!

But I want to make certain I know what to do. Is it better to quarentine the new fish in my uncycled ten gallon with salt and Prazi or just do it in the 30 even though it takes more meds (I do have plants so my thought is to keep the salt at 0.2%)? I don't have Prazi yet, but I do have Parasite Clear tabs...can I use those or should I just bite the bullet and buy Prazi?

Also, it seems like people medicate for two weeks or up to thirty days? What suggestions do you guys have for that?

Do you guys typically wait a day or two before feeding with a new cycle? And is there a good way to get a new fish who is probably only used to flakes to eat gel food? What is the best way to feed this?

I just want to do it right this time.

Thanks everyone!

Amy

I would say that you could qt in your main tank seeing as there are no other fish to "contaminate" yet. It will be your second fish that you'll need to quarantine. I'm not an expert with live plants, so I'll leave the salt and plant issue up to another more qualified.

I have Prazi Pro if you wanted some, but praziquantel is the first ingredient in the Parasite Clear, so it should work fine. The only reason it might not would be if you had a severe case of flukes.

After the first two weeks, I think longer treatment is up to you and your assessment of your fish's health and if it still may suffer from anything. Going longer is just "insurance" and a "better safe than sorry" approach.

Mostly, the waiting to feed is to allow the fish to acclimate and de-stress. I've never had a problem with gel food if it's stinky good enough! lol! Have you read my suggestion about using a garlic press? Cut a small cube, squish it through the garlic press and cut off the "gel worms" with a knife. Perfect feeding size.

My thoughts... :exactly ...as Lynda's...besides QTing in an uncycled tank just means a lot of water changes to avoid ammonia, nitrites and nitrates..and to me it just feels like stressing out the fish with them..I mean I have been treating Sunshine in a QT uncycled tub..and whoa it is a lot of work..although the ammonia bb is now established..nitrites freak me out..so I do 5 out of 16 gallon change in the morning..and a 100% at night..trust me I find nitrites always in the range of 0.5 to 2 ppm every 12 hours..no matter how frequent the wc is...and also Sunshine developed a blood streak on her caudal...although all her fins are erect and healthy and perfect looking..she still has the blood streaks..so I am guessing it is a bit stressful going thru too many water changes...

yayyyyyy..new baby on board...I am so happy for you Amy... :nana

Edited by SunshineGurl

Thanks, ladies.

I will let you know if I find a friend tommorrow. And Lynda, we have to plan a shopping trip together soon.

I love the garlic press idea...

Okay, I'm headed out to catch my plane...

Okay, well I'm still trying to get used to the two hour time difference now...I'm sleepy! I tested the water again and the only thing showing a reading was my nitrates at about 25 ppm. I did a sevety-five percent water change mostly to get the heated water out (it was at 84 degrees to help bacteria growth) and salted to 0.75% (I was trying to get to 0.1% but ran out of salt so a salt run is in order tommorrow).

Then Geoff and I had errands to run in Pasadena area so I went to a store that had good reviews called "Fish Cove." I wasn't impressed. The goldie selection consisted of a few sad looking fantails. Every tank seemed to have an overload of snails everywhere I looked. And in one tank there were two dead guys both being chomped on by their tank mates. Pretty dreary depressing place.

We went to nnnn because it was essentially next store and they actually had some nice looking guys. There was a large chocolate lionhead that was quite pretty, but nothing that really grabbed me so I'm waiting.

I have a ton of errands tommorrow before a baby shower, but most of my errands are right by Oranda Aquarium so I'm going to check that.

Lynda, I'm headed to the Hollywood Farmer's Market (and grocery shopping) so let me know if you'll be down that way and want to hit Oranda. Otherwise, let's plan another trip soon.

I'll let you all know if I find anything exciting there.

I'm going to hold off adding more ammonia tonight until I see what happens tommorrow night.

Lynda, I'm headed to the Hollywood Farmer's Market (and grocery shopping) so let me know if you'll be down that way and want to hit Oranda. Otherwise, let's plan another trip soon.

Ahhh, I want to go. I LOVE that place. Have fun and think of me. When are you going to go?

I'm going to try and get on the road by about 10am tommorrow. Then lots of errands...first stop to water my community garden and pick tomatoes, then the farmer's market, the Trader Joes and the 99 cent store, then Oranda and maybe if I don't find something I love I may hit Aquarium City...so I'll probably be at Orandas about noon or so...

Did you and Lynda do the aquarium yet?

I'm going to try and get on the road by about 10am tommorrow. Then lots of errands...first stop to water my community garden and pick tomatoes, then the farmer's market, the Trader Joes and the 99 cent store, then Oranda and maybe if I don't find something I love I may hit Aquarium City...so I'll probably be at Orandas about noon or so...

Did you and Lynda do the aquarium yet?

No. :( I have a bad flare-up and went on a major week+ pity party binge. I haven't posted for some time. Too much bad news + depression = me wanting to curl up in a corner. Plus my doc just put me on steroids because the flare-up caused my fingers and toes to swell and the doc has pronounced I have arthritis now. If it's not one thing it's another. ::sigh:: I am finally over the major funk so I am trying to find something to be joyous about. Usually Kokos brings a smile to my face. I have been dying to go to farmers market again. There are a couple of gourmet shops there that I love to try the new cheeses and get my specialty oils for my cooking and trying out new recipes.

Have fun, and try some cheese for me. :)

BTW, don't forget to change the ammonia water out before the new baby goes in. Also, I prazi'd Elvis for almost 4 weeks.

oops! Sorry! I just saw this post! I spent all day today working on my new fake bonsai tree for my aquarium. Fixing all the leaves that got all mashed up in the box. And I put the first coat of resin on my arch. Anyway, I guess I missed the Saturday shopping spree. Sorry! I haven't been spending a lot of time on here lately. Sitting at the computer, any computer, lately, it seems just kills my back. Well, so, tell us. What, if anything, did you find?

No goldie babies yet, but I will keep you posted. I might try to squeeze in Aquarium City tommorrow, but it will be tight.

Sorry, you've been feeling badly, Roni. You, Lynda and I should plan something soon. And I always go to the Farmer's Market there on Sunday so let me know if you are up for it another day.

Hi Amy! I just now found this thread.

First though: Roni, hope you feel better... both physically, mentally.. You're a sweetie, and I hate to see you down.. You ever need to just chat I'm always here!! It may be for different reasons, but we go through similar things you know? :bighug

I really have little to add here. You really do have everything right, and you've also gotten good advice and have Lynda to help you out..

At this point, I see positives and negatives of BOTH. If you use the main tank, the positive is that you will have a cycled tank and less worry about anything harmful creeping up. You will also have a large volume of water to ensure that even if there is a small bump in the cycle, it should be so small that it won't hurt the fish.. Of course, like you said, the biggest problem is doing water changes on a larger tank, and needing more medicine.. If you used the 10 gallon, you will need 1/3 of the amount of meds. Thats a plus for sure! You would need to do large water changes each day, to keep the ammonia down. But you could use something like prime to aid you in that. You will be doing water changes most of the days anyway if you use either prazi, or parasite clear tabs. I think it comes down to this: If you use the 10 gallon, you will most likely end up doing a water change every day for a few weeks, around 50% if not more. If you use the 29 gallon you will only have to do a water change prior to dosing with the prazi (about 50%). BUt a 50% change in a 29 gallon is 15 gallons, which is equal to THREE 50% changes in the 10.

I really think at this point its a matter of preference...

As for the prazi versus the parasite clear tabs. I think if it were me I would invest in the prazi.. Only because there is really no need to give the fish any extra meds than not needed. Parasite Clear tabs contain: praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, & acriflavine.

If you use the parasite clear tabs, you have a LOT of areas covered...The prazi I know will work on flukes, diflubenzuron is what is in Dimilin, which will kill anchor worms, fish lice. Things like that. The metronidazole is a main ingredient in the metromeds, which are excellent for other things, such as Hexamita. Acriflavine is used for a variety of things, such as disinfecting eggs, infected wounds, columnaris, and external protozoans (Ich for example).

Now while on one hand that sounds great, the other side is, is it neccessary to give all these medications to a fish, that just may not need all of those things? If you stick with Salt and Prazi, you know you aren't adding anything unneccessary. Then, if you were to find a new symptom, you can treat with what is needed, without fearing mixing too many meds.

If it were me, I would order or buy some prazipro.. I do believe it's again, a matter of preference.. : )

I also like to quarentine for 30 days. I do the salt @ 0.3% for two weeks, and I do the prazi on and off for 30 days...One thing I have learned is that you do have some time.. You don't need to dump in the fish, add the meds, and feed them. A good move is to get the fish adjusted for about a day. Don't feed, don't even worry about adding meds the first day.. Just let them adjust.. Then test your water and see if there was any bump in the cycle. There shouldn't be, especially ONE little fish in a 29 gallon, but it doesn't hurt to check. Day 2 you could give the fish something to eat, and add salt to 0.1%. Again, check the cycle.. Somtimes salt can cause a bump in a new cycle... Imogen told me normally it won't happen at 0.1%, but it is possible to cause a bump as you get into 0.3%. It did for me. (But don't worry, it all picked up fine when the salt was removed). I would add the salt over a few days, and again, check that the cycle is safe.. Assumming it's safe, you can start prazi. You can do them together, or do a few weeks of salt, then remove it and do a few weeks of prazi.

So basically, it all comes down to what you already knew, which is that it's up to you. : ) I know you'll do just great no matter how you do it.. You've been so good and patient about the cycle..

Can't wait til you get a FISH!!!!!! It's almost TIME! Wooooo hoooooooo!