White Fuzz And Torn Fins

Guest NIMO

Hello,

I'm a noob to the fish world. However, I've read many articles on fish care so I understand cycling and the basics. I need help determining what is happening to my fish and how to fix it. My red oranda has patches of white fuzz on its right pectoral fin which is somewhat frayed and also on its tail fin. Please help!

Here are my tank stats:

[*]Test Results for the Following: After 50% change

[*]Ammonia Level? 2.0

[*]Nitrite Level? .2

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? between 7.0 and 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api

[*]Water temperature? 78F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10g running since 7/31/08

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? whisper 10 power filter with medium bio bags

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every time the ammonia tests high (every couple days about 50%)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 red oranda, 1 black moor, 1 comet (all about 3 in.)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? aquasafe water conditioner, cycle

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? flakes in the morning spirulina at night

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? .01~.02% salt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed fins maybe fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no, they're pigs!!

Click on the link to see the pics. They aren'y that good of quality but enlarged you can see small white fuzz on the tail fin.

Pics

Hi,

Sounds like fin rot from poor water quality. Unfortunately your tank is overstocked and under filtered. Recommendations are 10 gallons for one fancy goldfish. You have three fish and they need to be in a 30 gallon tank minimum, with about 10 times filteration. So a filter or a combo of two filters that equal at least 300 gallons of water per hour. Also Goldfish need aeration, like an air stone or bubble wand.

Edited by kittyfiends

I currently have one air stone spewing bubbles into the tank. I have no room for a larger tank. Should I just increase the filtration for the current tank, what type/size do you recommend? Also, what is the illness and how can I treat it? Thanks!

Then maybe you could take two of the fish back to the store and only keep one. Fin rot is caused by poor water quality and you will never have good water quality when your tank is extremely overstocked.

With one goldfish in there I would recommend something that turns the water over 100 to 150 gallons per hour.

Also if you can't afford another tank, a lot of people here use rubbermaid containers with the appropriate sized filters as temporary homes. But if you just plain don't have the room you need to take 2 back to the store.

hi Nimo...

I am sorry this is happening...I think despit a water change if the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are sooo high..then you should immediately do a 100% water change....with temperature and pH matched water....ammonia really needs to 0-0.25..in an uncycled tank..nitrites always lower than 2ppm...and nitrates never over 40ppm...you shoudl do water changes every 12-24 hours..dont wait for 2 days..

I have an uncycled tank..and I do a 25% water change in the morning to bring down the ammonia, NO3 and NO4 and a 100% at night...you really need to be on top of water changes when cycling with a fish..it causes a lot os stress on teh fish otherwise..it becomes weak and susceptible to diseases...and with 3 fish in a 10 gallon :o there is a lot of waste building up...its way way too overstocked...like Rita says take 2 fish back...1 fancy goldfish per 10 gallons is an absolute minimum...

As far as the disease is concerned..the pics are not clear..I will not be able to help you there...but please do a water change quick...and also like Rita suggests..get a good filter one that filters water at 100-150 gph...but use the same old filter pads you have on your current filter...dont remove the filter..cos it will disturb the current bacteria colony if established..you can have 2 filters on the tank..which is really ok...if possible get an airstone too..

Edited by SunshineGurl

I just noticed one of the fish is a comet. They need 20 gallons minimum. So that would be a minimum 40 gallons.

I think the pet stores need to stop labeling their 10 gallon tanks without heaters "Goldfish tanks", and stop showing

6 goldfish in there.

Sunshine is right. You're probably going to have to be changing 75 to 90% of the water 2 times a day.

thnks for covering the common Rita..I missed out on tht..and not to say..the huge water changes I do is for only 1 fancy...you have a huge bioload there..let us know how it goes..I am kind of worried for the guys... :krazy:

Never let your ammonia reach 2!!! Even when cycling. It seems you are not cycled yet and this is the #1 cause of stress, #2 is the overcrowding factor. Comets are streamline fish that need a lot of leg room, 20 gallons space minimum. Fuzzy patches and finrot as others have said are caused by stress and cured by de-stressing (in early stages) the fish. I'm afraid if you use any medication in this set up with ammonia and nitrites you will make the fish worse.

The salt is good but zero ammonia a top priority first.

You will find if you get your water right the fuzz will drop off. If it doesnt you will need to QT the fish separately with medication. Try perfect water and conditions first. 9 times in 10, this is all that's needed.

:cry1 Ok, well I just gave back my oranda (the sick fish) and put my comet in a outdoor pond. Now the only fish I have is a 3in moor. I miss those little guys and I hope that the oranda gets better. I'm going to try to get this tank cycled now. It's been over a month now and I still have high ammonia. I guess that all the fish poo contributed. I'm using "cycle" to help. So, I'll let you know if I experience anymore problems. THanks.

ohhhh..I am soo sorry...I know u must be missing those guys...you returned the sick fish???...are you sure the fish store will take care of it???..I am sorry.. :( .. this is not to make you feel more terrible..but stores simply flush sick fish...poor guy..I am sooo sorry... :cry1

I am sorry...see..didnt mean to freak you out.. :(

anyways moving on..have you done a 100% water change on the moor??..how is the moor doing???

Edited by SunshineGurl

I just did a 50% change I also did a 50% earlier today as well. Won't a 100% water change really screw up my bacteria?? I need my bacteria to grow...

most of teh bacteria is in the filter pad....and some of it in the gravel...but I think you have a bare bottom...so all your bbs are in the filter pad...changing water does not mean cleaning everything..just the water change without thorough vacuuming or anything will not hurt the bacteria at all...I would encourage you to check the water parameters and do another 50% change in a couple of hours...just remember ammonia should not go beyond 0.5 ppm...nitrites never beyond 1ppm.and nitrates never beyond 40...cycling with fish means maintaining these parameters manually yourself...