Another Unwelcome Guest!

Chrissy_Bee

So I posted a couple of months ago about a mouse that randomly showed up in my apartment. I bought a humane trap, but the mouse was never seen again. The interesting thing was, he came right after a plumber had been doing some work here. I mention this because the plumber was in yesterday and guess what? There's another rodent. I'm not sure what the connection is but I think there is one :P

Anyway, this time it's the smallest little shrew I've ever seen, his body is about the size of a grape!!! He's too small to set off my trap, and I think even if I got an old fashioned trap (which I don't want to do) he wouldn't get caught in that either. So, luckily I'm home with the flu today and have nothing better to do but sit here with some cheerios in a box with a string attached...so when he goes in, he will be mine!!!! (I know...I think I've lost it)

Wish me luck!

Chrissy you just like to make up these stories to see who will believe you LOL The flu is messing with your head LMAO

For real, I hope you feel better soon! And I hope you catch your little tresspasser! ha

He is sitting underneath my bf's chair right now, just looking around. I swear this is true!!! I'm so frustrated, I have to catch him!

Is he giving you a 'shrewd look' by any chance? (sorry, I couldn't help it :rolleyes: , you know how it is :P )

So I posted a couple of months ago about a mouse that randomly showed up in my apartment. I bought a humane trap, but the mouse was never seen again. The interesting thing was, he came right after a plumber had been doing some work here. I mention this because the plumber was in yesterday and guess what? There's another rodent. I'm not sure what the connection is but I think there is one :P

Anyway, this time it's the smallest little shrew I've ever seen, his body is about the size of a grape!!! He's too small to set off my trap, and I think even if I got an old fashioned trap (which I don't want to do) he wouldn't get caught in that either. So, luckily I'm home with the flu today and have nothing better to do but sit here with some cheerios in a box with a string attached...so when he goes in, he will be mine!!!! (I know...I think I've lost it)

Wish me luck!

are you sure you are not hallucinating ..you know a flu can do many things :rofl ...feel better..!!!

I feel you pain. I live in a very old building from the 1920 and had a investation of about 5-7 mice during the winter a couple years ago. I live right behind a resturant and a dumpster in the alley which probably did not help. I had them as well in a new house I lived in the country once . We tried humane traps when I lived in the country but the mice never went in them. My landlord in th apartment building I live in would put poison down but I would watch them come out and just eat it , and I swear laugh at me and run back into the closet somewhere where they were hiding untill they decided it was time for the nex treat and do the same. It never effected them. I had to resort to the sticky traps. That is the only way I could catch them. I tried the old traps but they got too smart and would walk around them. The sticky kind where they can not get off of the trap is the only kind that worked for me. They even got in my dresser and were peeing, pooping and hiding out in there. They got in the closet and nested in the dirty clothes hamper. I bet when the plumber is coming over he is distrubing your little mouses hiding place and making him come out. They only need a hole the size of dime to fit through. If you are baitiing traps they like peanut butter and bacon. And you probably do not want to hear this but if you saw one mouse there is probably about five more hiding somewhere

:rofl you're all too funny, I'm really LOL-ing here!

As for the net comment, Jim got home from work to find me creeping across the floor with a big net in my hand :P

We've almost got him 2 times now! I had a box with food and a string attached, so when he went in we'd just pull on the string and tip the box....but Jim was too slow and he jumped out. Then, he got in in Jim's computer (GASP...and on his precious video card at that!). I thought we had him for sure that time, I got Jim to hold the net at the opening at the back and then I used a wooden spoon to poke him out. And get this, he was sleeping and hardly reacted! I had to push him!!! And guess what....Jim was too slow again :rolleyes:

He was last sighted abou 2 hours ago and I think he's laying low after being scared by us. I can hear Jim in the kitchen now saying "hellloooooo, where are you?????"

I feel you pain. I live in a very old building from the 1920 and had a investation of about 5-7 mice during the winter a couple years ago. I live right behind a resturant and a dumpster in the alley which probably did not help. I had them as well in a new house I lived in the country once . We tried humane traps when I lived in the country but the mice never went in them. My landlord in th apartment building I live in would put poison down but I would watch them come out and just eat it , and I swear laugh at me and run back into the closet somewhere where they were hiding untill they decided it was time for the nex treat and do the same. It never effected them. I had to resort to the sticky traps. That is the only way I could catch them. I tried the old traps but they got too smart and would walk around them. The sticky kind where they can not get off of the trap is the only kind that worked for me. They even got in my dresser and were peeing, pooping and hiding out in there. They got in the closet and nested in the dirty clothes hamper. I bet when the plumber is coming over he is distrubing your little mouses hiding place and making him come out. They only need a hole the size of dime to fit through. If you are baitiing traps they like peanut butter and bacon. And you probably do not want to hear this but if you saw one mouse there is probably about five more hiding somewhere

Oh I know alllll about that. I lived in a very old house for 9 years and we constantly had problems. For us mouse traps did work, but when the numbers got out of control we used poison (which did work for us). They also got in my dresser, etc. Luckily I've only seen the one mouse and now the lone shrew. I think they somehow get in when the plumber is here??? I'm going to keep trying the live trap for now and hope for the best :P

i do believe its time to get a kitty. :D;)

I actually have one, my sister and I got her together and she's with my sister now. If I got desperate I was going to bring her over. However, I think me chasing him with the net last night scared the *&%$ out of the little guy and he hasn't been seen since. Our theory/hope is that he went out the same way he got in.

I agree, a cat is the best choice! We have always had a cat (or 2 or 3!) in our house and in the 20+ years we've lived there not one mouse has ever been sighted. Same when I was growing up--we usually had a cat and no mice in the house. One cat brought mice home all the time from outside though. I saw him playing with a shrew once and I was able to get it away from him. I picked it up by the tail to show my mom who was watching through the window. The shrew then tried to bite my finger and just grazed the surface. I dropped it and he ran off under the patio! They are fast little suckers. :D

Thought you might all like to know...the little bugger is still here.....literally, he's in the room right now. He ate the food out of my trap, I'm going to get a different model tomorrow that supposedly works well for shrews. In the meantime, we now call him Jr. Jangles (don't ask :P ) and hardly even take notice now when he makes an appearance :rolleyes:

Your plumber probably leaves the door to the outside open. I remember when I used to live up north, this is about the time they try to start heading inside.

I always had cats, they used to play with the little buggers. Pass them back and forth.

Now all I get are lizards, the cats catch those too. I nicknamed my one cat lizard lips. One chomp and it's off with their tails.

Wow, Chrissy, you seem to be a magnet for small furry/feathered creatures. :)

When someone leaves the door open around here, all I get are 3 inch cockroaches! :o

Oh, and geckos. Those are almost impossible to catch. They can move super-fast!

A shrew!! And the size of a grape? I didn't know they came that tiny. I actually have never seen one but it sounds really cute. If you catch it, take a pic. Or take a pic of you guys trying to catch it, it sounds amusing!!

Hope you get him soon, and get over that flu! Hot tea, lots of bedrest and less shrew-chasing.

A shrew!! And the size of a grape? I didn't know they came that tiny. I actually have never seen one but it sounds really cute. If you catch it, take a pic. Or take a pic of you guys trying to catch it, it sounds amusing!!

Hope you get him soon, and get over that flu! Hot tea, lots of bedrest and less shrew-chasing.

Yes he is SO tiny, and cute indeed. Jim is a bit afraid of rodents and even he thinks the little guy is cute. I'll take a pic for sure, he saunters through the living room enough for me to get a good one soon I'm sure, weather I catch him or not!

Luckily my flu is almost gone now, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I GOT HIM!!! :nana:nana:nana

I went to the kitchen last night and the little guy was on the counter!!! I went and got my fish net and a cardboard box, and after about 10 minutes of wrangling (did I mention I was in a towel, which made it that much more difficult) I managed to get him in the box! So I got dressed, haha, and hopped in the car. There is a field just up the street from me and I set the little guy lose there. I'm so pumped, I was beginning to think I'd never get him.

Aww, no pics? Don't shrews look like tiny moles? I think I've seen one before...

Glad you caught him :D

I'm not sure if this is one, but he's cute!! Shrew

Edited by Anic

I think that's some kind of south American shrew, the legs are super long! I would have got a pic but I was afraid he was going to escape, he was sure trying. This is what he looked like (a masked shrew)

http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flas...rdNumber=MA0164