Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Sponge Filter Questions

I have never used a sponge filter before. I put it in the tank with the eggs, but didn't turn it on.

Well I turned it on today. It is one that has suction cups and I had it near the bottom of the tank...it made bubbles out of the top, and agitated the water surface, I figure that can't be good for fry?! Is that right?

Anyway I moved it up so the top is right at the surface and it does not make bubbles, is that ok?

By the way, I've only seen one fry since I turned that thing on. Sponge filters are safe right?

It's clear plastic with little slats, and foam and carbon inside. It says that it is safe for fry! It had better be! What do you think?

Jessica

Jess, I never used those, so I cant say. I have the ones that are actually sponges, shaped like clover leaves or rectangles, and all you do is connect them to an airline tubing that goes to an airpump. I put a air divider in between, so I can adjust the bubbles to only one per second or so. Maybe somebody else uses the one you have.... :)

Thank you!

I hope that someone has used this one. It's made by Hagan if that helps.

It connects to an airpump via the airline tubing, so it is sort of the same. I wanted one like you are talking about, but they didn't have any out, just the kind that I got.

I wonder if it will be ok, since I have it right at the water's surface so that it doesn't make huge bubbles. I think it's supposed to be down further.

Thank you for your reply.

Jessica