To Buy Or Not To Buy, That's The Question...

Guest Isilme

Guest Isilme

In our local pet store they have a new batch of gf. There are shubunkins in all different colour patterns (even white and black ones), moors in all different colours, comets, commons,... They also have yellow commons and I really love them! Last month there was this cute yellow gf smiling at me and i really fell in love with him, but I resisted! Now they have them again...

So what should I do, you reckon? I have a 50 gallon (200liters) tank with a 900l/hour (200gallon/h) external filter. There are now 4 gf (all commets) in my tank, and they're all quit big (I would say 7cm/3inches without tail, but I'm a bad guesser...).

Hmmm... I would have to go with a no, since your tank is already slightly overstocked (20 gallons per single-tailed goldfish) with the four in there. You can join me in the waiting-until-they-can-buy-a-new-tank-because-they-are-overstocked club! (Right now I have two small goldfish in a 15 gallon, and I can't upgrade until 2009 ARG!)

Difficult as it is....YOU MUST RESIST!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

You're maxed out and even a bit overstocked with 4 comets in a 50 gallon. They should actually have 80. Getting more fish will just cause you and the fish problems.

Sorry. :( I'm in the same boat. I was at the lfs last week and saw a Chocolate Oranda that I'd have given my right arm to take home with me. But I have a fancy and a comet in a 30 gallon and have no more room right now. We've all been there, hon. You have to resist and think of the fish's health that you already have.

Guest Isilme

I know... :(

But the tank just seems so big for only 4 fish. I know it's 20 gallons per fish, but... but...

I'm making excuses in my mind.... Aargh it's driving me crazy! (maybe I should get another tank... :P )

I know it seems small now, but when your comets are 10+ inches it won't seem so big anymore! Just keep reminding yourself how nice, big, healthy and happy your goldies will grow if you don't add another fish.