A Couple Of New Questions From Me!~

sheep

I was reading another thread and I saw the mention of loaches! I've actually browsed google images before because someone on a game I play gave me a character by the name of loach.. but I never assumed they could be kept with goldies. :D

I think I'd need more room if I wanted one, though. Anyone have snippets of info on keeping them with goldies, requirements, etc?

Alsoo.. I've seen a slight oddity with my Moor recently.

I've spotted her resting in one corner twice(now, three times) the past two or three days, in the same spot. She looked slightly dormant when I went up to the glass, but her dorsal fin perked up when I got closer and with a slight rap on the glass, she greeted me. This was only moments ago. The first time, I didn't think TOO much of it but she came to attention quickly. At the moment I'm about.. 8ft from the tank and I don't see her swimming about, I assume she's doing it again. She's showing no other signs of abnormal behavier. I won't know more until I can get a better test kit. (This can be moved if it needs to)

I've just now taken a short video of her. Feel free to ignore anything beyond her resting. x_x

CLICK HERE! :)

(yes, poor lighting.. it's bed time! D:)

Uhmuhm.

I'm also starting to think I'm not supplying my aquarium with enough oxygen, she's gasping a good bit at the surface(making bubbles) and it might not be because she's hungry. I don't feed her on the surface.. BUT my supplies are all up to the wallet-holders. I have no clue what kind of filter I have.. I'll have to check it all over for a brand name or something..

I'm sorry I'm a bit vague with things, guys. >_<

I just realised I posted this on the wrong forum, anyway. Could a mod please move this? Thanks! And sorry! D:

Guest Orandaa

Im not sure about the loaches... I recently saw some at my LFS and wondered if they could go with goldies... Although my main tank is for my brightly coloured guys and a loach would make it look ugly :P

To answer the question about why Toeby might be hanging in the corner.. have you done ANYTHING to the tank/water lately? As in change anything with the filter, change the water, etc.? She may just be under a little stress. If you have any pets (mainly cats) if they jump on the hood of the tank that can affect them. My cat does that and my fish often become gloomy for a day or two. Note any changes you might have made within the last 3 days or so and hopefully someone can get back with a good answer on what might be causing your fish to do that.

For the record though, my fish do that every now and then and just like with yours, when I come near they perk right up and swim around and my fish are fine, so I wouldnt worry TOO much about it, although I understand the concern. Good luck :)

Im not sure about the loaches... I recently saw some at my LFS and wondered if they could go with goldies... Although my main tank is for my brightly coloured guys and a loach would make it look ugly :P

I've seen pictures of some rather colorful loaches, actually. :D I might read on them after my more important research is satisfied.

I really don't think any fish is ugly. x) then again, I also like "creepie crawlies", too, so ha.

To answer the question about why Toeby might be hanging in the corner.. have you done ANYTHING to the tank/water lately? As in change anything with the filter, change the water, etc.? She may just be under a little stress. If you have any pets (mainly cats) if they jump on the hood of the tank that can affect them. My cat does that and my fish often become gloomy for a day or two. Note any changes you might have made within the last 3 days or so and hopefully someone can get back with a good answer on what might be causing your fish to do that.

For the record though, my fish do that every now and then and just like with yours, when I come near they perk right up and swim around and my fish are fine, so I wouldnt worry TOO much about it, although I understand the concern. Good luck :)

I haven't done anything at all out of the normal. I did a water change at the beginning of the week, but I usually do those, anyway.

Only things I can think of are.. uhm..

I dunno, school's started and I don't get to visit the tank as often, maybe she's bored/lonely? o_O

Or maybe something with the temperature? I've seen it go from low to high 70s often because my mom can't decide whether she wants the house cold or colder, so I sometimes try to leave the light on to keep it at least a little more stable.

She's completely used to me moving the lid around(I do it when I feed her and I also move it during cleaning and water changes and just normal "play"- I try to keep her a little stimulated since there are no other fish, so my hand swims with her. No petting, she nibbles and swims through my fingers. :3)

Hum.. I'll keep a close eye on her.. I wish I could give more info on the water, but I only have strip tests at the moment..

My fish do that at night. They're just too lazy to swim while they sleep. I used to worry, but I KNOW they're healthy, so I've just given up and decided they're lazy and they like sleeping laying down. Toeby looks healthy and Toeby LOVES her mommy! little snuggle-in-the-hand bunny!

What's your water temp? If the water's too hot, it reduces the amount of available oxygen. So, either you're just under-oxygenated in general, or under-oxygenated because of heat. Either way, chances are, the top breathing will go away when you lower the water temp and/or add a bubbler or bubble bar. Also, reducing the level of the water so that the waterfall from the filter hits the surface harder will create more oxygen.

Oh, and loaches. Yes, they do need to be calculated into the bioload. At full size, they will probably be 7 inches or so, so allowing 10 gallons for them at full size should work. And they need lots of plants and hiding places and, be advised, they are BAD jumpers! Your tank needs to be completely covered. One little hole and they will find it and jump out. And they can get around pretty good on the floor too and wriggle themselves far away from the tank and you don't find them and then one day you'll find loach leather about 20 feet away from your aquarium.

Edited by Lynda Von G

My fish do that at night. They're just too lazy to swim while they sleep. I used to worry, but I KNOW they're healthy, so I've just given up and decided they're lazy and they like sleeping laying down. Toeby looks healthy and Toeby LOVES her mommy! little snuggle-in-the-hand bunny!

What's your water temp? If the water's too hot, it reduces the amount of available oxygen. So, either you're just under-oxygenated in general, or under-oxygenated because of heat. Either way, chances are, the top breathing will go away when you lower the water temp and/or add a bubbler or bubble bar. Also, reducing the level of the water so that the waterfall from the filter hits the surface harder will create more oxygen.

It is possible that she's lazing.. like I said, I'll keep a close eye on her. If she's up and active during the day tomorrow I'll likely not worry as much.

That one comment made me smile so wide, you have no idea. XD

I spend a lot of time with her, and I've had her since late May. I can feel a boonndd. @ w @ Oh, I love my fish!

It's usually around.. 72-74? It doesn't too often go above 74 and at this moment is 72.

Should it be cooler, then.. ?

And the water level is about.. two inches from the rim/top of the tank? I can scoop out a bit in the morning and see if anything changes as far as gulping goes, then, hum. :)

Oh, and loaches. Yes, they do need to be calculated into the bioload. At full size, they will probably be 7 inches or so, so allowing 10 gallons for them at full size should work. And they need lots of plants and hiding places and, be advised, they are BAD jumpers! Your tank needs to be completely covered. One little hole and they will find it and jump out. And they can get around pretty good on the floor too and wriggle themselves far away from the tank and you don't find them and then one day you'll find loach leather about 20 feet away from your aquarium.

I read about the jumping and the hiding! XD

I don't intend to get anything like them anytime soon, mostly curiosity! I'll probably get myself a little oranda, though.. once I get more room, sigh..

It would be terrible to find a shriveled up friend on the floor, behind the couch, covered in lint and gum wrappers, and and and.. D8

Guest Orandaa

How many volts are your fish tank light bulbs? If heat does end up being an issue you can find lower wattage bulbs. For your tank I wouldnt recommend anything over 120V (25W), that may be what they are now though.

Edited by Orandaa

How many volts are your fish tank light bulbs? If heat does end up being an issue you can find lower wattage bulbs. For your tank I wouldnt recommend anything over 120V (25W), that may be what they are now though.

Oh, I'm almost positive they're 115v. I don't have the box anymore, though.

Sometimes if left on, I can feel the warmth on the lid and I turn it off, but I've never(as far as I REMEMBER) seen the water temp go above 74 or 75(still high..)

At this moment(I wrote the first paragraph early this morning, never sent it), the water temp is an even 70. I haven't had the light on and the hood's been off, so more heat's escaping, I guess..

She was idling in the corner again, and again perked up when she saw me. I'm still a bit unsure of that one..

The water level has been dropped by about an inch for more surface disturbance, too.

Guest Orandaa

I wish I knew what was going on with her, but I dont think I can help :( My guys used to do that every now and then but it didnt last that long... Im hopeful that she's alright. Atleast she perks up and swims once you're near, if she didnt do that then it may be a little more concerning.

I wish I knew what was going on with her, but I dont think I can help :( My guys used to do that every now and then but it didnt last that long... Im hopeful that she's alright. Atleast she perks up and swims once you're near, if she didnt do that then it may be a little more concerning.

Yes, indeedy! She's still quite active when I'm near and gladly chases my hand around and greets me with her usual excitement.. but when she does rest, she'll just stick to that one corner, too, it's not like she's just dropping to the bottom. It almost seems intentional(and I'm almost personifying my fish). Do fish get depressed or bored? o_o or maybe she's lonely? that is.. if it's nothing to do with the water or that she's being 'lazy'.

To be extra safe, I'll ask mom to restock me on peas! She tends to ignore my requests. ):< Humph.

Guest Orandaa

Fish can get depressed, yes. In my opinion the biggest cause for depression-like behavior is stress. Though, it doesn't seem like your fish is under any stress. It may be one of those mysteries that she snaps out of in a day or two from now, who knows :P

Fish can get depressed, yes. In my opinion the biggest cause for depression-like behavior is stress. Though, it doesn't seem like your fish is under any stress. It may be one of those mysteries that she snaps out of in a day or two from now, who knows :P

Oh, no stress. XD She's very chipper!

Maybe it's mommy withdrawals. P: Or I'm giving myself too much credit, haha..

I'll just wait and see.. of course, if anything more curious or serious turns up, I'll definitely let you guys know immediately!

Really, everyone here is a lifesaver! I can never be grateful enough, even for the little things. :)

Guest Orandaa

I know what you mean :D I'm certainly no expert, so my first place to turn when I need something answered is here.

Maybe your fish needs a companion in the tank with it.. Although, if your moor is anything like mine then perhaps not. I've got 4 goldies, and (as you can see in my sig) 3 are gold and my moor is black and the 3 gold ones always swim together and play in the bubbler together, and little Gary always swims on the other side of the tank by himself :P it's depressing but he swims like he's happy so Im not sure what to think lol

I know what you mean :D I'm certainly no expert, so my first place to turn when I need something answered is here.

Maybe your fish needs a companion in the tank with it.. Although, if your moor is anything like mine then perhaps not. I've got 4 goldies, and (as you can see in my sig) 3 are gold and my moor is black and the 3 gold ones always swim together and play in the bubbler together, and little Gary always swims on the other side of the tank by himself :P it's depressing but he swims like he's happy so Im not sure what to think lol

At the moment she's in a 10 gal by herself. I've been advised against getting another fish until I get a larger tank, but I've been asking mom about a used 29 gal. The only problem, then, would be finding somewhere to put it. Also, I wouldn't have anywhere to QT the new fishie unless I had another tank..

Until then, I'm her only companion. She sure doesn't mind it. I wish I could spend more time with her, though. I wish I was a fish!

I see that kind of behavior in my mom's ducks. The white ones(pekins) usually stick together when grazing while the colored ducks will have their little small gangs, walking side-by-side and chatting it up. The guys are a trip. :) And all the while, there's one little duck, Cocoa, who's a bit sassy and she does her own little things apart..

Guest Orandaa

The general rule is one goldfish per 10 g, but in all honesty if you put another little fish with yours in a 10 g it's not going to make much of a difference. I've done that many times while using a hospital tank or just having 2 in a tank. Of course that's up to you :D

Thats neat that you have ducks, do you live on a farm or something similar?

Edited by Orandaa

The general rule is one goldfish per 10 g, but in all honesty if you put another little fish with yours in a 10 g it's not going to make much of a difference. I've done that many times while using a hospital tank or just having 2 in a tank. Of course that's up to you :D

Thats neat that you have ducks, do you live on a farm or something similar?

Well, yeah, but I'm more worried about health than space. To' is still very small, she's maybe around.. 2" including tail? I've never used a ruler on her.

I usually get my fish things(and.. fish) from nnnn. I don't know if other pet stores in town have fancies(especially in good health).

If I did get companion for her so soon, it would pressure me even more to get a new tank and find a place for it. :( I don't know where I'd put the stand! I like keeping her in my room, I can see her when I wake up and spend time with her quietly which is important to me. Sorry, I'm rambling again! Whenever I do get another goldie, though, I want an oranda. I REALLY want a panda oranda or a pure white one. I've seen a white one at P'Smart before.. I wish I could have gotten it. XD

Well, I really don't like calling my home a farm, because it really isn't. I live on 40 acres an hour from everything. We do keep gardens, a couple of acres, I guess. I live with many animals, but a handful are mine(I guess.. ? XD)

Let's see..

There's Toeby, of course.. our five basset hounds: Bonz, Penelope(I named her~), Basil(also named him, the two belong to me), Lucky, and Molly. Our inside dog is Max, a minpin. My mom has twelve ducks she's in love with, I have a rabbit, "Snick" who's in dire need of a name change.. uhm.. my three rattie boys: Sebastian, Toulouse, and Crispin.. brother has two turtles(poor turtles) and another rabbit, George.. I think that's about it..

This is so off topic. LOL

Guest Orandaa

That's good, your main concern is Toeby :D Im sure she appriciates all the love she gets, unfortunately a lot of fish aren't lucky enough to have great owners like you =[

Thats a lot of animals! I wish I had that many lol, I've got my fish... and a lazy bum cat that does nothing all day! She sleeps.. walks over to the foot of my bed and meows for about 30 seconds then goes and finds someone's bed and sleeps for the rest of the day. Buuuut I love her anyway :P

This is quite off topic huh :P Its still fish talk so its okay I think lol

That's good, your main concern is Toeby :D Im sure she appriciates all the love she gets, unfortunately a lot of fish aren't lucky enough to have great owners like you =[

Thats a lot of animals! I wish I had that many lol, I've got my fish... and a lazy bum cat that does nothing all day! She sleeps.. walks over to the foot of my bed and meows for about 30 seconds then goes and finds someone's bed and sleeps for the rest of the day. Buuuut I love her anyway :P

This is quite off topic huh :P Its still fish talk so its okay I think lol

Oh, I know what you mean. I can't get through to other fish-owners I know who think they're doing just fine with what they have.

Sometime before I got Toeby, her 10g was a tank that held "feeder" fish for a Cichlid(Oh, I've told this story so many times!) which my dad took in for my older brother who had to move and couldn't take the huge tank and fish with him.

My dad obsessed over that fish, talking to it and everything for maybe.. 2-3 weeks? He slowly stopped, probably bored with Oscar(the cichlid) and I ended up being the one to feed him. My dad then started seeing the fish as a nuisance, claiming it took up too much space and attracted roaches, etc. The excuses went on and on, but my dad dumped the poor thing into a river! A RIVER! We live in florida. And he dumped a cichlid in the river.

Ahem.. the fish that remained were then few. While we had oscar, their numbers were around.. 5-6 fish at a time in the little 10gal? Some were longer than Toeby is now and were all commons(a few had black spots on them). All that remained, though, were three. The others either died of fungul growth, unknown reason, or at the jaws of Oscar.

I gave the three fish to my science teacher because I knew she kept fish at home and had mentioned a large aquarium.. I didn't expect her to KEEP two of them in her classroom 10gal, which was supposed to be temp for all three until they went home with her or a fish-friend, Ricky.

Now, they're still living in that same 10gal with a silverish koi(has whiskers. Ricky said it was a koi. he added it to the aquarium recently) that's similar in size to the first two. They've grown only slightly and the tank staysfilled nearly to the top with many decorations in it and gravel and muscles at the bottom.. I've mentioned more than once that they need more room, but that's about all I can do. Ricky thinks they're just fine how they are, but it's not healthy at all.

*ends yet another rant*

I'm guiding her on the right track with her hermit crab, though. That's a bit easier as it doesn't require moving fish or buying large aquariums. o_o;

Oh, did I mention I love that hermie, too?

I have a fondness for many many animals. >_> *mumbleramble*

Guest Orandaa

Haha I don't think that Cichlid survived too long in the river :P That's an interesting story about how you got your tank and what happened to the fish in it. That's a lot of fish for one 10 g, it sucks when people overcrowd a tank and don't listen to people who know better. At the lfs I go to they sometimes overcrowd goldie tanks and none of the fish swim, and often I come back and they're all still there weeks later because no one wants a fish that doesn't swim. But it will if it just has room. I've bought a few of those fish just to get them out of small tanks, but I guess I can't save them all :(

Oh, and don't worry about going on long rants, its a good read! If anything it's kinda cute :P

Well, as far as space for two tanks, you could always get a Double Tank Stand. Two tanks kept in the space of one!

There are two problems with overstocking a goldy tank. One is higher levels of ammonia and, two, is stunting. If you're committed to a lot of testing and water changes, then you can keep the ammonia in check. There is no cure for stunting except to provide a larger space before the fish gets stunted, so that just takes a good insight as to when it's time to move to a larger tank. So, if you can do these two things, then keeping two very small goldies in a 10 gallon would be okay for a while. The 10 gallon per goldy is just a safe rule to protect them, but rules can be fudged a little if we are very careful and committed.

Well, as far as space for two tanks, you could always get a Double Tank Stand. Two tanks kept in the space of one!

There are two problems with overstocking a goldy tank. One is higher levels of ammonia and, two, is stunting. If you're committed to a lot of testing and water changes, then you can keep the ammonia in check. There is no cure for stunting except to provide a larger space before the fish gets stunted, so that just takes a good insight as to when it's time to move to a larger tank. So, if you can do these two things, then keeping two very small goldies in a 10 gallon would be okay for a while. The 10 gallon per goldy is just a safe rule to protect them, but rules can be fudged a little if we are very careful and committed.

Well, yes. But the way things are now, I won't be able to upgrade the way I want to until I live elsewhere. My mom has a big living room with plenty of space and yet, we still "don't have room" or whatever. She's always after excuses. ):

Have you used one of those stands before? I've heard that some double-stands don't allow enough space above the aquarium on the bottom shelf, but I really don't know. It does sound like a nice idea, just a matter of budget and parents as always. If I could I'd spoil all of my animals and meet their every single need and more..

I understand the overstocking problems, which is in part why I get frustrated. XD

I AM careful and committed, but I don't want to risk introducing anything from the "outside" that might be harmful.

Toeby and I can wait a few more months and see what Christmas might deliver for us. I'll likely end up getting all of my pets major things and nothing else. I can't just let them(adults in the house who control the money) put them off.

Haha I don't think that Cichlid survived too long in the river :P That's an interesting story about how you got your tank and what happened to the fish in it. That's a lot of fish for one 10 g, it sucks when people overcrowd a tank and don't listen to people who know better. At the lfs I go to they sometimes overcrowd goldie tanks and none of the fish swim, and often I come back and they're all still there weeks later because no one wants a fish that doesn't swim. But it will if it just has room. I've bought a few of those fish just to get them out of small tanks, but I guess I can't save them all :(

Oh, and don't worry about going on long rants, its a good read! If anything it's kinda cute :P

Oh, I'm sure it didn't.. people are completely and utterly.. frustrating. Almost infuriating. This man obsessed over the fish and then just dumped it because he was bored. He didn't even attempt to find the fish a home(someone would have gladly taken the fish and the 50 gallon aquarium that it lived in!!). Now, the 50gal and all of its equipment are outside. The electronics are probably ruined by now, it's been months and months. I'm not even going to try and empty the aquarium of rainwater and clean and move it.. it's just not worth it when there's nowhere for it to stay but the floor.

LFS? I've never heard that acronym before..

The g'fish are still.. healthy after weeks of being in that crammed state? D:

I don't worry, I do it unintentionally. Some subjects just get me going, I guess. I can go on and on about ignorant and stubborn people. That's an unhealthy combination. Meh.

... cute?