Ph Question

anything above 7...mine is 8.4 and my fish do fine ..the thing that you have to worry about is if you ph is not stable ..it is far more stressful for your fish having ph swinging all over the place .they would constantly have to adjust to that ....and a low ph could be a sign of a ph crash ..which can kill your fish if the ph dips to low.. if you find your ph dropping you need to check the kh of your water anything below 100 I belive won't keep ph stable :)

I'll only second Heidi.

Guest Orandaa

The way that's worked best for me is frequent water changes. If you change about 1/3 2-3 times a week, you should see an improvement. The Ph in tapwater is generally higher so, after treating it, once you add it to your tank your Ph should rise.

I have a different problem, my PH from the tap water is below 7.0, so ph usully drops in 2 weeks im my fish tank. I add baking soda and it brings the ph backto 7.5. Don't know how to fix this problem permanently.....

you could order Buff it Up from goldfishconnection.com...Before adding the water to the tank bring it up to a required level and then you can maintain the pH...baking soda should only be a temporary fix...and should not be used regularly...the only fix is testing the water everytime you do a water change...and bringing it to a desired level..

pH below 7 is definitely not good for goldfish, and baking soda is usually only good as a temporary fix. As well as the pH of your water, you should also find out what your KH is. Koko wrote a great article about pH and KH that you can read here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=65745

As she says, you can add something like crushed coral to your tank to increase your pH, or you can use a product like "buff-it-up" from Goldfish Connection. I know that several people on the list swear by it, although I haven't used it myself. (My tap pH is about 8.2) Once your pH is above 7.0, the most important thing is stability. You want to keep the pH as stable as possible.

I'll quadruple agree with Heidi! My Ph is around 8.2 or 8.3.. It has never caused a problem, just means you have to be extra careful to monitor the ammonia levels. (Ammonia is more toxic at a higher PH.. In a fully cycle tank with no ammonia spikes, this is not a problem. Also certain meds can be more toxic at a higher PH so you just want to be careful when adding them in any case).

As for lower Ph, I have no experience but I've read a few things you can try:

1) Order Buff It Up from GoldfishConnection.com.. Many people have used this with success for a nice stable PH

2) Adding crushed coral is supposed to increase the Ph of your tank over time..

I spent hours worrying about my high ph, and trying ph adjusters.. The PH down burned my fish and killed some of the bettas. It was all not worth the trouble. I gave up adjusting it, and let the tank adjust naturally.. Stability is definately the key.

**EDIT** I posted over top of both JC & Claire! Sorrrrrry lol

It's very odd to not know about crushed coral. Any place that does saltwater fish should know about, or have, crushed coral. But, regardless, it's out there and is a good, stable choice for bringing up the ph in a tank. Keep looking around. There has to be another fish store that would have it.

I remember went to nnnn and that lady was surprised that I was asking for crushed coral. Anyway, there is a place that I have not enquired about is Animalsandthings, pretty sure they will have it. I will go check tomorrow if not today and will ask for crushed coral or slab limestone or sea shell, right?