"feeder" Guppies

vickielm

I stopped at the lfs the other day to pick up some fishie food and Prime. I can't resist looking at the fish while I'm there. While I was browsing around I saw a tank full of little guppy fry. It said "Feeder guppies"-$1.00! Now, I'm always going to do my best to be sure that no fish gets fed to anything, so I got somebody over there and told them I wanted 5 of them, thinking they were $1.00 each. The owner just netted like 6 or 7 of them and only charged me $1.00 for all of them. They are sooooooo cute!! I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of guppies they use for feeders. They're just tiny guys...you can see through them right now, but they have a tint of silvery blue on their dorsals and a red dot in the center of them.

I remember that Florence was a 25 cent "feeder" goldfish when I got her. Now she is easily 6 inches long and gorgeous.

I got feeder guppies when I got my puffer .....do you think I had the heart to do it ...but I had to cause I was trying to train the puffer to eat dead food ...thank god he trained well ...now the neighbour boy is setting up a tank and taking the guppies for pets ...they are turning into nice looking fish :D ..I'm glad the puffer forum are against feeder fish too :D

Good job Vickie..congrats on the new babies...

I agree with Kets and Chrissy as well..there is a good chance of them belonging to either of the kind....

pictures... :) ...where have you set them up???a tank to themselves???..wow..they are so lucky.. :)

Right now they are too small and "zippy" to get a good pic. Its hard for me to count them every day because they just zip around the tank so fast!! As soon as they get bigger I will get one, though. They haven't grown enough to identify them from each other to give them names, but there are 7 of them, so right now I just call them the "Seven Dwarfs". :rolleyes: If they grow nicely I think I'll set up a tank just for them alone and get a few more. Better than being eaten I'd say!

You should come here to my LFS.. they have a huge display tank full of platies, and feeder guppies that are 15 for 1.00! Sometimes you will get lucky and find some real pretty fancies in there..those are the ones I save..

They're either baby fancy gups from the adult tank or Endler's Livebearers that are equally colorful, but smaller than guppies.

Why cant they be wild guppies?

Mosquito Fish (unremarkable little things, but hardy as all get out, also mean to the bone, I had 3 females and they killed/ate all my fancy guppies and a loach)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquitofish

Endler's Livebearer (pretty and really cheap at pet stores as feeders)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilia_wingei

Fancy Guppies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy

Poecilidae family (gups, mollies, platy, swordtails...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilidae

Thanks Tetralover!

Looking at the pics, they are either fancy guppies or mosquito fish. Endlers Livebearers have a more defined shape. These little guys are more "straight" shaped if you understand what I mean. After your description, I am hoping for fancy guppies, lol. Its kind of early to tell yet.