Good Algae Eaters?

Does anyone hae any ideas for a good algae eater that will live peacefully with goldfish? I thought about snails but then I read that they make more mess than what they clean. I personally know regular plecos are out since one sucked they eye out of my brother's goldfish and left a gaping wound on another. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

How about an algae scrubber? :-) Anything that eats is going to produce waste.

I'd say an otto, but your goldfish will prolly get to big and try and eat it. There are a couple plecos (not a common) that go well with goldfish. A popular one is the bristlenose plec, if you can find one at your LFS.

I am getting an algae scrubber for the sides of my tank but the bottom is getting a nice algae layer that is starting to look kinda gross. I went ahead and bought a couple snails yesterday. I would like to get a bristlenose pleco but there's no way I could find one around here. I vacuum the substrate and change 50% of the water once a week so hopefully that will cut down on the poo accumulation. Thanks for the suggestions!

hong kong plecos aka hillstream loaches are small and do an ok job. it depends on how big a tank you've got though. they're really small about an inch and a half.

i have 1 chinese and 1 simease algae eater with 2 goldies, had them for 2 years now probs at all. Although some people have trouble with them but i find them pleasant and rather shy.

Edited by Powerdragon

If you go with cae's or sae's, just be careful because a lot of them are great, but sometimes you'll get a ruthless one. Also, make sure you have a large enough tank, the sae's can get up to 5", and the cae's can top out at 10". And I've heard both of them can stop eating algae for whatever reason.