Black Moor Raised Bumps Isolated On Fins Only

Guest allycatz

Guest allycatz

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0 right now, was 0.25 before saturday's water change

[*]Nitrite Level? 0-0.25

[*]Nitrate level? 0-0.25 I get the same readings all the time for both nitrite and -ate readings

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? just tested it as it is 7.3-7.4 MAX

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4-7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops for all

[*]Water temperature? 70-75 C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallon - running now for approximately 3 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 aqua clear 5-20 gallon power filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% water changes weekly, sometimes two a week depending on medication etc.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Just the one black moor goldfish who is 11 cm (~4.5 inches) long

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? top fin water condition, aquarium salt and plant gro

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? once a day and is currently on jungle anti-bacteria medicated fish food. Eating extremely well!! I also fast him one day a week

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? right now pemafix

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White raised bumps following along his fin curves. ONLY on fins. His eye recently went a bit bloodshot as well.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I've caught him suddenly remaining still in the middle of the tank, he was rubbing on a decoration which I have since removed. Other than that hes active and playful and loves playing in his bubble wall. haha

My black moor (sarge) has been sick now with these spots (which have since multiplied) for a good 4-5 months now. He was originally in a smaller tank and moved to his currently one three months ago. I originally treated him for ICK, but then when treatment was unsuccessful and the bumps raised a bit I thought more bacterial or fungal. I've used melafix, pemafix, a fungus eliminator as well as an all in one treatment on him over time. I've also tried epsom baths and daily water changes. I'm really starting to feel helpless. My next course of action was going to be maracyn and maracyn 2, but am finishing up with the pemafix treatment right now. I've posted a couple of photos so hopefully someone will be able to give me sound advice. Please note that I used flash in the one photo which may make it appear as if he has white anywhere else on his body, but I assure you that he only has the bumps on the fins shown. Floating plants got in the way a bit.

Sarge flash

Sarge photo 2

Edited by allycatz

Hi Alleycatz, take a look in the Breeding Section, then look in Sexing Goldfish. There is a pic of "male breeding stars" on a black fish. I think you'll find your fish is a healthy male.....but a moderator will confirm shortly.

Guest allycatz

Thank you so much Deb! I could actually feel my heart leap for joy when I read about the breeding stars. Of course, my celebration may still be premature! haha. I was so confused because his behaviour has been perfectly normal and his appetite has never faded. I posted photos elsewhere and had people tell me it was ick and columnaris and all sorts of nasty fungal infections and that he would die on me (of course he hasn't died and the bumps have only gotten larger and multiplied in the last four months!). Is it unusual for him to have such bumps under a year old? Anyway, I just did a water change and put my zeo-carb inserts back in to get rid of any remaining medication. I can't tell you how relieved I am. Thanks for the help. If only I had known early.. I could have saved some money! haha Ah well everything might come in handy another time.

Glad I named him Sargent Pepper (Sarge for short). Hes definitely a male! haha

Oh and I love this site.

Mainly because you guys rock! haha

THANKS again!

Edited by allycatz

Congratulations!

You found Koko's the same way I did.

My fish had breeding stars, and I thought it was Ich or something worse.

They weren't sick - they were horny. :unsure:

Sarge sure is a good looking Moor

Happy, healthy, horny, good lookin' moor! Themser some good lookin' stars he gots there!

:welcome