Possible Job!

Chrissy_Bee

I applied with the department of fisheries and oceans last month to start doing contract and casual work this coming winter. I just got an email telling me I've been selected for the next stage of screening :nana

The scary part is, the next phase is a written exam to 'test my knowledge'. I'll be honest here, I'm an aquatic/terrestrial biologist, I really don't know that much about fishiers OR oceans. I guess we know what I'll be studying all weekend! The exam in on the 4th :krazy:

The scary part is, the next phase is a written exam to 'test my knowledge'. I'll be honest here, I'm an aquatic/terrestrial biologist, I really don't know that much about fishiers OR oceans. I guess we know what I'll be studying all weekend! The exam in on the 4th :krazy:

There's water in both of them, there, that ought to do you for the test :rofl That's about all I know about them!

It sounds like a great job opportunity! Good luck, let us know, what's going on.

There's water in both of them, there, that ought to do you for the test :rofl That's about all I know about them!

Maceo! You forgot that there's fish in both of 'em too! :tomuch:

Seriously Chrissy, best of luck to you!

Thanks everyone :heart

I actually just talked to a friend who already works there and she said the exam isn't for casual work...it's for permanent!!! :crazy:

So now I have to learn as much as possible about all the major fish species off the coast and fishing policies...yikes

Maceo! You forgot that there's fish in both of 'em too! :tomuch:

Seriously Chrissy, best of luck to you!

Oh yeah, fish I remember those things, they're the mouths with fins attached right? :hmm

Chrissy, permanent? That is super awesome! Fingers crossed!

I know you can do it hun....just remember there's sharks out there :lol2

Sharks!!! :krazy:

Hahaha, actually we mostly just get harmless basking sharks around here. Besides, if I ever fell in the cold would kill me before any critters got a chance :P

I'm going to the library tomorrow to get a few books, I'm going to have to relearn a lot of my basic stats, as well as the latin names of all the major fish species here and all the types of fishing and sampling gear typically used.....should make for an exciting weekend.

Thanks to redbull I studied until midnight last night (with my attention span, that's an accomplishment). The good news is it went really well, turns out I know a lot more about the fishery/fish physiology than I thought. However, there were a couple of sections that I'm very doubtful about (relating to ocean probes and stuff like that) and I needed to get at least a 70 on all sections, so we'll see.

PS.....do you think possilby, almost, maybe passing an exam is a good excuse to go fish shopping??

Thanks to redbull I studied until midnight last night (with my attention span, that's an accomplishment). The good news is it went really well, turns out I know a lot more about the fishery/fish physiology than I thought. However, there were a couple of sections that I'm very doubtful about and I needed to get at least a 70 on all sections, so we'll see.

PS.....do you think possilby, almost, maybe passing an exam is a good excuse to go fish shopping??

Erm, are you kidding me? That's one of the many many excellent excuses for going fish shopping, alongside "I was in the neighbourhoud anyway" :rolleyes::D .

Edited by Erinaceus

Thanks to redbull I studied until midnight last night (with my attention span, that's an accomplishment). The good news is it went really well, turns out I know a lot more about the fishery/fish physiology than I thought. However, there were a couple of sections that I'm very doubtful about (relating to ocean probes and stuff like that) and I needed to get at least a 70 on all sections, so we'll see.

We've got our fingers crossed for you! I hope you passed on all the sections! :D

I agree with Alain on the fishy spree!