16 Hour Move With Fish!

Guest TBunny

Guest TBunny

Okay, in a few short weeks we will be relocating to southern Washington. The dreaded 16 hour drive with 1 oranda, 1 fantail, and a betta is reality. The goldies are in a 20 gallon tank and the betta in a 5 gallon. My thoughts are so lower the water in the tank and stabilize them as much as possible in the car. What experience has anyone else had?

Thank you :unsure:

You could pop them in rubbermaid containers with original water from the tank while in the car and if possible a battery operated air pump. Pad around the Rubbermaid with foam or similar medium for insulation to minimize temperature fluctuations while in the car.

Incase of movement at least the rubbermaid wont break unlike transporting them in the glass tanks.

If u can try to place the filter medium/filters in a container with the tank water and if u can get a battery operated air pump then that will keep it alive on the journey.

Then when at the destination set up their glass tanks again and the water u used in transport as a starter and the saved filter medium.

Moving house is a stress, yet alone moving fish...i dread the day I have to move all my tanks!!!

Best of luck!

I would also suggest having them in a rubbermaid with an air pump. As well, have some ammonia remover on hand to keep the ammonia levels in check. I'm moving away to school this friday (a 2 hour plane trip, overnight in Whitehorse, a 6 hour car trip then another nights wait in Dawson) and what I'm doing is having my fish in a large rubbermaid with an air pump when we are not in the car, and in a large bucket with a lid (and the air pump) for the car. Some other advice I've gotten is to add some aquarium salt to lower the stress, and to not feed your fish a few days before the move, and have peas as their last meal (before the move) to help clean them out.

I'll be posting a report once the move is over, stuff that worked, stuff that didn't, things I wish I did, ect. Hopefully that can be helpful as well. Good luck with the move!

I definitely agree with the others re: not using the tank itself to transport.

Also, my thoughts are that the water is going to slosh around more in a container that has sides, i.e., square. If the container were round, that's going to keep the water together and stop it from breaking against a side, since there are no sides, so to speak. Oh, the water will still slosh in a round, but not like it will in a square. The more the water sloshes, the more the fish get banged around.

I would suggest the biggest round container you can find, or a 5 gallon bucket for each of them. Make sure there is a lid or some other cover with lots of holes punched in it to keep the water and the fish inside the container. Pack the container(s) into a corner really well with padding, sides and bottom. Refresh the water when you make a pit stop, if you trust the water!, not only to reduce ammonia, but to add oxygen. Setting up battery powered aeration is also a good idea.

To help with cycling in the new place, I might also suggest to put the old water in another 5 gallon bucket and store the filter, rocks, decorations, etc. in there to preserve the BBs.

Adding some aquarium salt to lower the stress, not feeding your fish a few days before the move and having peas as their last meal (before the move) to help clean them out is also a very good idea.