Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level 8.8

Ph Level out of tap 7.2

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test

Water temperature? 78

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 Gallons, 10 months

What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin w/biowheel 40g

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 20%, twice a month70%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Orandas, 2.5"

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

What do you feed your fish and how often? Spirulina, Hikari Gold, Bloodworms, 2x a day

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank? I've salted twice in the past 18 hours, 12 hour intervals, 0.5%

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? maybe a grain or two of hard white things

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? just floats, very lethargic

Hi all!

Porkchop is acting like he's sick. I've noticed his belly might be a bit bloated, certainly is an odd shape. He barely eats, but he does get some food. I fasted them Sunday and Monday so I haven't seen any poops. He doesn't bottom sit, he just floats and he's not moving very fast at all in fact he lets me scoop him up with ease. I pushed on his belly yesterday and it made him shoot out of my hand. Yesterday, there were tiny white bubbles attaching themselves to his fins, but they came off whenever I touched them. Ju-Ju is fine, she never seems to be affected by sick tank-mates. Yesterday afternoon when I noticed the odd behavior I did a 20% wc and started his first round of salt. I didn't even expect him to make it through the night but he did. I added the second round of salt this morning and fed them spirulina.

What's wrong with my poor baby??

Thanks all...

Tank is a bit small and pH is a bit high as compared to the tap.....

you could try putting him in a 10 gallon tank and keeping a very close eye on the pH and ammonia levels... probably have to do large daily water changes for a while. keep ammonia at zero and pH at tape levels.

if he looks swollen, maybe not feed him anything for a few days, then some deshelled cooked peas. feeding just gel based antibiotics is an idea as well, but i can never get fish to eat that stuff.

what do the white things look like? maybe it's a worm etc...?

Edited by pditty

Are you saying you raised the salt level to .5%? Also can you get a photo so we can better see the problem :)

No I made a mistake there, following the directions on the side of the API Aquarium Salt container (one TBSP for every 5 gallons) I suppose we could say that the salt level is at 0.2% now since I have done it twice.

I'll try to get a picture of the swelling this evening.

THX!!

I'd like to know what you might have in the tank that's raising the ph level from 7.2 to 8.8. That's a huge difference!

Your water temp is pretty high too. Can you set up a fan so that it blows across the top of the water? This has been shown to significantly reduce the temp of the water. High water temperatures can induce lethargy.

Is your Penguin biowheel filter a 170 or a 300? Underfiltration, especially in conjunction with high temps, will not produce enough oxygen in the water which can also induce top sitting/breathing and lethargy.

Even if these things may not be the direct reason for Porkchop's problems, they could be adding stress to a sick fish.

I would suggest you modify your water changes to 50% once a week and 100% once a month. This will make your water changes more consistent and easier for you to follow as well as providing more new water for the fish at each change. Plus, bad bacteria will eventually grow in your tank, despite the best of water changes. Water changes are not only about keeping the ammonia down, but also to rid the tank of these bad bacteria. That is why we need to do 100% water changes once a month.

If your fish is bloated, salt is going to aggravate that condition. But, you need to be able to identify the "grain or two of hard white things" as well. If this is ich, it does need to be treated with salt, but if your fish is bloating, salt is not going to help that. And, IMO, if the white spots are only a grain or two, the bloating seems to be a more pressing problem.

Pictures, especially of the white spots and big belly would help, but if the bloating seems to be as much as you say, I would suggest you move Porkchop to a qt tank, and get him going on epsom salt and medicated food. The Jungle Anti-Bacteria food is usually available at most pet stores, and can help if the fish is still eating well and able, for the most part, to fight infections, but Goldfish Connection's MediGold or MetroMed are superior med foods for internal bacterial infections. You must do the full 14-30 day treatment.

Hello and thank you. My filter is one that you would use on a 40 gallon tank, I've been coming to Koko's for so long that I've been literally brow-beaten in to "proper goldfish care" submission! :o

The white grains were almost as if it were small chunks of plastic, they were on the tank floor not on his body. I usually don't put things in my tank or allow strange articles to reach it but there they were. The best way to describe them would be...goodness, I don't know. I can say that it was not organic, or didn't look that way at least. All that aside, the only things I have in my tank are some polished rocks (rock tumbler polished) and a piece of driftwood I bought at Pe*co. The tank has been that way for several months and no problems, I have removed the live plants because they weren't doing so well. I've tested my pH in many different ways to see why it raises so drastically and have yet to come to a conclusion.

I will set up a qt tank tonight and get him some medicated food. I'll check back with how he's doing.

Glad you understand. I just asked because Penguin makes two sizes of filters that they say are good for 40 gallons. One that is 170 gph and one that is 330 gph. That's why I asked. So, it would make it easier for us if the gph were referenced because we know how the manufacturers' recommendations don't apply to goldfish.

You've been salting, right? Well, we had a case just a little bit ago where a girl salted her tank and there was a piece of plastic, she later found out, that was in the salt that got in her tank. Her goldfish ate it and it got stuck in the fish's throat. So, maybe the same thing happened with your salt. I hope you've removed those pieces of plastic.

Have you looked at your rocks? Are they all smooth? No chips?

At least it's good it's not ich. We can rule that out! The med food should help with the stringy poo and internal infection it sounds like Porkchop has.