Still Upside Down For Over A Month

Guest TBunny

Guest TBunny

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 15

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API dropper

[*]Water temperature? 75

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons 8 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin 350

How often do you change the water and how much? Every 5 days 80-90%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda (3 inches) 1 fantail (3 inches)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 1X day, Pro-Gold, peas, bloodworms

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Back fin on fantail is beginning to curl at the tips

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fantail floating upside down at top

Over a month ago I posted about Henry floating upside down but he was able to "right" himself. Trinket advised to feed peas for 2 weeks so I did. Henry's condition has worsened where he cannot even swim upright at all. I have to hand feed him his peas. Now his back fin is beginning to curl on the edges. I'm presuming they are always out of the water to some degree and beginning to show distress.

This is a very sad scenario because he has NO life. Other than eating once a day he just bobs upside down. I did do the epsom salt treatment and that had no effect. I also tried feeding epsom salt granules in his peas with no such luck.

I am very sad and not sure what to do. QOL is my main concern. :cry1 Any ideas? Thanks!

• Admin

The sad thing is that once a fish goes upside down for a long period its really hard to get them back to upright...there swim bladder had adjusted so that the fish will swim like this....If the fasting for 3 days and then just peas for 3 days wont work...there is ways to keep them up right. Like surgery and hangers but i have had 2 fish that flipped over and I couldnt get them back...

If anyone has thoughts please share :)

I too, have sadly found that once the fish is unable to turn himself over he will almost always remain upside down, either at the top or bottom. My floaty pearlscale too, sank eventually, and it was better in some ways but then she got bedsores on the tank bottom ...I wonder if there isn't damage to the swimbladder that over time allows for water to enter the swimbladder and eventually weigh the fish down. Often sunk fish will feel heavy as if they are full of water.

I too, have sadly found that once the fish is unable to turn himself over he will almost always remain upside down, either at the top or bottom. My floaty pearlscale too, sank eventually, and it was better in some ways but then she got bedsores on the tank bottom ...I wonder if there isn't damage to the swimbladder that over time allows for water to enter the swimbladder and eventually weigh the fish down. Often sunk fish will feel heavy as if they are full of water.

That's an interesting observation, I wonder if anyone's ever looked into it?

Well I know that there's a small pipe called the physostome that connects the two airsacs. If this gets blocked or suffers some malfunction the transport of gases is impaired and theoretically it is possible water could pass through in error and fill the airsacs, eventually weighting the fish down.

Guest TBunny

Thank you everyone for your input. Many of you have dealt with this issue so what do I do? PTS? Hand feed him and let him live out his life? I can't even stand to look at the tank anymore...it's so depressing. Floating upside down 24/7/365 doesn't seem to provide a good QOL. Sigh... :cry1

Awwwwwwwwwww :( I know the feeling for sure. My sister used to say the same thing, she couldn't look at the tank when we had a floater. Yes, I would hand feed and see what happens. Personally, I find that when/if they sink their QOL seems to improve. They are on their side so they can see what's going on, and usually they can scoot around pretty well. BUT this is something that many people here have struggled with and the decision of what to do is up to you.

I understand the decision is up to me but what do the experts do? (Trinket, KoKo, Chrissy Bee, and anyone else) If this were your fish would you continue to hand feed or PTS? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance either way because both choices seem unfair :(

• Admin

Well I have been through this before and it was very hard...How I did it was....

Radar my Calico Telescope many years ago got flip over, he was like this on and off for months. I tried everything for him, no food, peas ect.... He got stuck upside down and was like this for over 3 months..He was in a tank of his own thinking it might help him. He got depressed, so i moved him back to his buds, but when I watched him for a few days looked into his eyes there wasnt really anyone home...Kinda like looking into an empty shell. When I saw that he wasnt interested in things I let him go. I think you need to look at the fish and see if he/she wants to carry on. Its not easy.... :(

Hi KoKo...when I have some food in the palm of my hand he gets very excited (upside down of course) and eagerily gulps down some food. So that aspect is positive but he cannot manuever anywhere other than bobbing upside down all day. I did see him towards the bottom the tank today for a minute or two. Maybe it's a bit premature to jump on the PTS bandwagon. Such a gray area right now and having feedback from the pro's really helps me sort this stuff out. Thanks!

• Admin

No problem. I have to say this has got to be one of the hardest things to deal with...Me personally wont put a fish down until I see that they dont want to fight anymore...I have had to put 3 fish down in my life and it still is in my mind. :(

• 3 weeks later...

any changes in your fish? What did you decide to do? i ask because I'm kind of going through the same thing.... I'm sure you made the right decision, whatever it was. No one knows your fish better than you! :exactly