Mouth Blister, Sore And Red.

Guest sculleymarsh

Guest sculleymarsh

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[20-30PPM]Nitrate level? (our tap runs at nearly 20 so this is low for our set up)

[8]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[8]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[drops made by API]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[78.9]Water temperature?

[150UK liters running for around 9 months, pretty much bang on always]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[external ehiem canister,internal fluval 4+ and a vectron UV]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[weekly up to 50%]How often do you change the water and how much?

[4 all above 6cm]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[salt only if we have white spot or anything, salt for everything really]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[Progold, once daily]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[she is relatively new]Any new fish added to the tank?

[none]Any medications added to the tank?

[we did have an out break of white spot but this is coming back under control with a 0.3% salt solution that we are currently running, she was dipped but we have had a break out of Ich, she is showing no signs if ich but the other 3 are ]

[she is bottom sitting nearly always]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hi Everyone, Small issue that I hope you can help with.

New Oranda, 2 weeks in the main set up, dipped before entry, the set up has broken out in ICH which we are treating with a 0.3% which seems to be working well, but our new baby seems to have what can only be described as a mouth blister, It almost looks like a coldsore if I human had one, big red almost black mans pinch type affair on the corner of her mouth, bottom sitting most of the day but otherwise looks very healthy.

Have a look at the photo and see what you guys think.

what should we do?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/s...onMouthsore.jpg

Thank you all in advance:-)

Guest sculleymarsh

Thank's koKo! We think its a mouth rot or bacterial ulcer, we have some sera baktopur that we purchased for our last "thorn in her side" which really worked and has now with much TLC rendered her a super happy super healthy fish. We were thinking we would give her a dip in that (2L of water to 1 tablet for 30 min, as well as feed her "medi gold" antibiotic food that we have also purchased from Canada and see if that didn't clear it up.

we are learning, slowly but surely, we just want to know we are doing the right thing.

Funny isn't it, we weren't born loving goldfish but my goodness me we enjoy them and all that go's with keeping them!

:yeah:

• Admin

Thats true....I dont know what I would do with out them..My babies have grown on me and one is that past away last year was my dearest to me :heart ..but anyway :lol

I dont know much about over sea's meds just in the USA..So i can say it will work...but I can help other ways if you need..Im hoping one of the other UK'ers will be able to help you better...sorry :(

I also have no experience with meds in the Uk (and very little with meds in the US at that! lol)

But I recently had a fish that showed a few strings that looked like the beginning of mouth rot, and I have a few little pieces of info I can pass along until someone comes along:

IN my case a moderator informed me that it may be the beginning of columnaris, or mouth rot. She said this was usually caused by the Flexibacter bacteria, and that bacteria thrives at a temperature above 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The first thing she had me do was lower the temperature, and add saltat 0.1%. (Clearly your salt is already at a higher level than that for the Ich, which it should be at).

We also got into a quick discussion about medications.. One of them I had seen while looking for info was medicine that contains Oxytetracycline. She explained that when you are seeing symtoms like mouth rot, a medicated food is often a good treatment. The medicine I have on hand and was recommended to use is MetroMeds which does contrain oxytetracycline. My plan was to use that if the syptoms did not clear up. However, so far my fish appears to have recovered, ao there was no need..

I see that finding a good medicated food in the UK can be hard.. I would recommened waiting for a moderator from the UK, but it does appear that using the Medi Gold might be one of your better options if you find that you cannot hold out any longer...

Guest sculleymarsh

Hi All,

Thank you for your assistance, unfortunately we lost her :cry1 really dont know what happened. one minute she had a mouth sore and had been bottom sitting for two days, the next morning she was side up and in a better place.

Poor Udon. :rip:

thanks again for all your help.