J C's Piggies

jyoti411

Hmmm Goldfish...don't know how that bug bit me...LOL...all I remember is watching Tom and Jerry as a kid..and Jerry trying to save the big goldfish in a tiny bowl from getting eaten by Tom...Go to think about the hazards of the goldie being in that bowl, today, would like to write a petition against Hanna-Barbera..LOL...nonetheless I enjoyed every bit of that goldy's gfish.gifexpression..Tom getting beaten up..and Jerry always on the run with the goldfish in his hand...I loved the cute lil chubby face of the goldfish...Well but that was that..never gotto keep any fish as a kid..I don't think I even proposed to have one then...anyways things were very different back home (India)...so although would have loved to own a fish, never could...

Three years back flew to US for a Master's degree...no signs of goldfish..until one day I visited a friend's place just to find out that she had a betta in the tiniest bowl in the world :( ...trust me was less than a quart I guess...I felt bad for the guy cos he could barely move..and was always kept closed in that small bowl..but I loved the idea of getting a fish...ohh!! and I won't blog about how long and how much effort it took me to convince my boyfriend to get a fish..it would take a day and a whole page.. :P ..of course, I did realize with school, 2 campus jobs and other formalities, it would always be difficult to take care of a pet...and my bf was always of the opinion to not risk any life just so I could have fun...which is WOW, and I agree with him totally...neways so he agreed...as if he could hold me on that for a long time.. :P ...and we got 2 goldfish in a small bowl.. :wa ..I did not name them...my fav one died the very next morning.. :cry1 obviously..as if we didn't see this coming..I hated myself.. :( ...I exchanged that guy for a new fish.. :kickbutt and again the next morning the old one died... :(crying.gif...ok that did it... blowup.gifI asked the people at the waste chain store and they said I should get a big bowl and keep 2 goldies in it... :wacko: I went ahead with a big bowl but decided to keep only the newest guy...well, I thought I was at least being better than my friend who had her betta in a cup of water.. :thud of course...I didn't know anything about goldfish and didn't know where to look..was never aware an awesome place like Koko's even existed..and that goldies are not supposed to be kept in bowls...those were the dark days..and I am really glad I decided to educate myself this time... :)

Anyways, with the newest guy...I fell in love with goldfish...my bf named him Bubbles..no prizes for guessing that he was just devoid of oxygen and came to the surface gasping, thereby making bubbles...he was a handsome calico fantail, which btw I learned just before I got Sunshine...I was very punctual with his water changes every weekend...he even survived a 3 hour journey from Chico to Sunnyvale, where I got my internship and he was a strong little fish..actually very strong...poor guy..died after a year.. :cry it was all my mistake...did not change his water for 2 weeks...and of course the bowl was a very bad place for him...he would have lived a long long life...only if I knew how to take better care...I was mad at myself..and was really heart broken to just find him upside down one morning..I am sure he must have gone through a very bad time gasping for air and everything...poor guy didn't pass away in peace...I am really sorry Bubbles, I was a very very bad mommy to you...sorry.gif...I have nothing else to say to you..just that I really miss you and I love you a lot.. I wish I knew better and I wish you were with me today...I would have given you all the care and love you deserved..but I AM SORRY... :( ..I am also sorry to the 2 other calico fantails that died for no reason..Bad mommy...Rest in peace you guys..I will always miss you all... :cry1:rip: Bubbles and the 2 calicos!!!

While holding dead Bubbles in my hands, I promised him that if I get a fish ever, I will give it a bigger tank.. crying.gifand everything else he could not enjoy with me... crying.gif I have tears in my eyes even now....I really wish Bubbles was alive..Well but he taught me a good lesson...I learned thru his death the proper care a goldfish should have...I was so sad that I really dug up a lot of info before getting Sunshine...and this is how Sunshine entered my life.. :) ...Goldfish keeping for me is truly a tribute to Bubbles!!! :heart

Edited by SunshineGurl

thank you so much Heidi...I hope so too.. :) ...

Oh..and I found a couple of pics with my Bubbles posing..these pictures don't do justice to the handsome fella..but well good to have them.. :) ..I loved his tail sooo much.. :heart

http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq44/Jy...nt=DSC00033.jpg

http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq44/Jy...nt=DSC00034.jpg

Bubbles was definitely a cutie JC! You're going to be a much better mommy now though and Bubbles is happy in her pond in the sky knowing that she was the one who helped you learn that. :thumbup2::exactly

Awww bubbles was a sweetie pie! : )

And yes JC, you've come a LONG way girl!!!!! Let's see you had how many sick fish? Oh yeah, TWO. And let's see. Now you have how many healthy fish that you saved? That's right TWO! You came here not long ago, and had a lot of questions... Now, you are always helping others.. and answering THEIR questions : ) You are doing awesome with your fish, and helping other people help theirs!! Ain't Koko's sweet? : )

Aww...thanks Amy and Sue... :) ..Am trying..and nothing would have been possible without you guys...Koko's rocks!!.. :rockon ..my babies are doing so good now.. :) ..thanks everyone... :) ..yeah I do miss Bubbles though... :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

Moving on...Heartbroken by Bubbles' death.. :( I was not keen on getting a fish anymore in tht rotten bowl...so I waited...I was caught up between internship, completing my final project to get my degree and finding a full-time job. A year passed on dealing with these things..and when I finally got my job (which is an interesting story too, but lets not cover it cos this is a blog for goldfish :P )..I decided to gift myself with a small tank and a fish...yayyyy.. :hi5 Got a 5 gallon Eclipse hex tank...decided not to have a goldfish cos I dont want to kill any more fish...did tons of research on tropicals bettas, guppies, tetras, platy, mollies and goldfish :gfish: too :P ..like the decision of not keeping one was going to stop me from looking into the cute piggies.. :pp ..cycled my lil tank...I remember I filled up the tank and everything with small decor and a live tropical plant (which did not live with me for a long time.. :( more on that later.. :D )...got my water tested at the chain pet store after 4 weeks...and things turned out good....yayyyyyy...Meanwhile the new job had started as well..Finally on 28th April..my bf and I went fishing... :) ...I wanted him to be a part of this so that he enjoys the fish too..I had strictly instructed him, NO goldfish.. :) ...and he agreed..but somehow he liked goldies too.. :teehee ...we were at the pet co-rpse... :wacko: trust me all they have is almost dead fish especially goldies...I am never happy with their goldfish tanks... :yikes I didn't know then that lfs exist and the chain ones are bad and blah blah...so yeah we were there..The guppies didn't look tht impresive..my bf didnt like the tetras either...no mollies..platy nope...nothing..and we reached the goldfish section...LOL.. :Jig: ..I love goldfish...and the manager let me know that the goldfish were under observation cos they were just shipped and they were not for sale tht day... :( so well they were doing a good thing to by letting them settle down..and I really didnt think I should trouble the babies..so with a very heavy heart I let tht go..but my bf pointed out 2 little red cap orandas...he didnt know those are goldfish too.. :P ...those guys were very perky and very alert as compared to the others... :yeah: they were in a different tank altogether and looked stunning...I got hooked on to them..and I told my bf that is a goldfish..but he insisted that its a small one..we should get that..I was very happy tht he got hooked to goldie.. :)) and I also told him that very soon we will need a 20 gallon...he said thts soooo tiny.. :pan I explained to him what a goldie needs..we argued and he said get it..we ll see abt the upgrade...So...did we get the oranda??? is one of them Sunshine??..Tune in next week to get all these answers... :rofl2 ..sounds like a cheesy tv soap.. :Drofl2.gif...just felt like getting some importance here.. :P ...

:D ...Oh..thnks soo much for the importance Amy.. :heart actually was typing all this while on the train..and ended it this way cos I was approaching the destination..hehehehe.. :D

I couldn't wait for another week myself..LOL...anyways..

I checked out the lil babies for any signs of sickness or behavioral issues...they were healthy and beautiful..one of the red caps was especially alert and cute...but somehow they were still a bit wobbly...the manager said he would sell the one I liked to me..but I didn't wanna take a chance..so I passed on them..yeah those didnt come home with me..Sunshine is not one of them.. :) ...There goes all the suspense...LOL.. :P

we left the store...my guy was totally hooked on to the red caps...he suggested we go check PetStupid..LOL..I liked when Vickie called it that...so yeah we landed up there..to my surprise the goldie tanks there were gr88..they looked clean and all the goldies were looking nice and pretty..One of the very rare things..have never seen them clean ever again, till date.. :blink:

they had a species tank of Red Caps...all of them looked awesome...I kept looking at all of them..they all flocked to the front glass of the tank...the tiniest of them was a bit behind but was struggling sooo much to come to the front...she struggled..and when could not get thru swam to the top of the tank and right in front of the glass as if she would just jump out of the tank if not taken out...LOL...she caught my eye in no time...that was my Sunshine..yayyyyyy...I asked the store guy to get me Sunshine..and she readily climbed into the net and out into the bag...she got a bit scared when in the bag...I had read somewhere that it is a good idea to wrap the bag with a newspaper to avoid freaking them out with all the movement all of a sudden...So I carried one with me and did that...she was in my lap all the time..I kept talking to her in the car..baby talks and soothing ones too.. :D ...Acclimated her in the 5 gallon... :donthit: ... :kickbutt ...and there she was all beautiful and happy..perky chewing on the live plant I had in there..not a second's bottom sitting, perky and begging for food already..LOL...she brought me a lot of happiness...I cannot describe how glad, happy and proud I was to have Sunshine.. :) ... :heart ...I love her soo much.. :)

And Sunshine has emerged! It's so refreshing to hear that you did so much research and did everything right before just jumping into buying a fish.

What train you taking? And to where? I used to take the light rail from San Jose at the Ohlone/Chynoweth station up to the airport then got on the train to Burlingame. Wow! I just looked that up and it looks like they've expanded the light rail line all the way down to McKean Road! I used to have to drive clear up to the Ohlone/Chynoweth station! McKean Road is just up the street from where I used to live! Maaaannn.......

Anyway! Back to fish!

hehee..yeah I had tried to learn as much as I cud...but paid very less attention to Quarantine procedure... :blink: ..well but now I know.. :D ...

Oh wow..you travelled a lot too..I take Caltrain from Sunnyvale upto Millbrae (Caltrain station just after Burlingame..I bet you know tht.. :D )...and from Millbrae, BART upto Embarcadero, financial district San Francisco..its a 2 hour commute each way...so blogging about goldfish is the best thing I can do.. :D

Oh..I have been wanting to write this for a few days now...this is a very cute episode which happened last weekend... :) It was Saturday morning...usually weekend mornings are spent chatting and talking with our folks back home in India... :) I was busy with my water changes..since the medication on Chikoo is still on and Sunshine is in the QT...my bf, Vibes (this is a short version of his actual name, Vaibhav... :) I am sure everyone whoever is reading this is trying to pronounce it... :rofl:P ..we have heard funny and tongue twisting pronunciations of his name..LOL)..so yeah he was chatting with his mom..and he decided to show her my fishies on the webcam... :r030: his mom loved all the guys...his father got exited about seeing them and rushed towards their computer in the hope that the show was not over yet.. :D ..and Vibes showed all of them again...Vibes was actually stunned to see his interest in my babies.. :teehee he also kinda got jealous, cos he has never managed to get that kind of attention from his dad... :lol which is funny..his dad really loves him, but has never rushed like this to talk or watch him..LOL...his dad loved my babies..and he really liked the name Chikoo... :9 Chikoo actually is an Indian term for the sapodilla fruit...and in India its equivalent of addressing kids and loved ones as Pumpkin...so the name...and yeah so his dad loved Chikoo..and now everytime we speak..the first thing he asks us is how is Chikoo... :happydance and keeps saying, when I come visit you guys I ll feed him and make him a big fat fish..LOL...I am just so glad that his folks liked Chikoo, Sunshine and Frosty, my betta.... :) ..they dont remember the other names, except Chikoo..but inquire about all of them each time we speak... :) ..As opposed to his folks my folks really don't care... :thud I sent pictures and stuff but they showed not much interest...well, maybe when they visit me and see them in person they wud like them.. :blink: but it does not matter to me..so I'm cool.. :) ..I love all our babies... :heart:heart:heart:wub:

Awww that's soo cute! : ) I love when people actually care about this fish.. That must make you feel soo good that they are interested..

Nice to know the meaning of Chikoo.. It SOUNDS like it would mean something like that! It really does..

And of course, here I was pronouncing your bf name and then you said "I bet you are all sitting there trying to figure out how to say it" LOL Too funny..

Sooo... J.. I am feeling really lazy today and I have like 200 water changes to do.. Can you just make a quick flight up here and help me LMAO.. I can't get myself motivated lol... Sometimes I can get Shane or Tanya to help me dump the buckets, that way its quicker than stopping and starting the syphon. I need pythons. I really do. BUt I don't have any, so how bout you come over and change water with me.. It would totally be worth the airfare LOL

Ohhh...I wish we were close by..trust me...I would have helped you with the water changes...I know its such a gr88 help if someone just picks those buckets for us..starting and stopping the siphon just makes me a messy water changer.. :D ...and we could also watch each other's fish...so much easy to trust a person who knows what he/she is doing... :)

and you could have helped me decorate my tank...your tanks look awesome... :heart I just can think of ideas..and even if I do..I scrape it off..and start thinking in some other direction..but then in some other..LOL...cant get to a decision...Oh..and I forgot..I have to start a new thread for suggestions and do's and dont'd for the big move of Sunshine with Chikoo in the main tank...it happens this weekend..I am exited but scared and hope it goes fine...it wud be a huge change for both of them after a month being alone... :unsure:

Edited by SunshineGurl

Oh I know!!! I really need to find a fish person in PA (a bit closer than Kathy LOL) Oy, and then once the water is really low you CAN'T stop and start the syphon. I hate it I hate it.. I need a python LOL.. Or a live in fish helper.. LMAO If I ever need to move, I am going to purposely move to an area where I know someone from koko's lol.

Aww, they are gonna be reunited! THats soooo good! : ) Wow, can you believe how far things have come from when we first talked lol Craaaaaaaazy.. A week or so ago I remember saying "Shane Shane!!!! Sunshine & Chikoo are officially better!!". He knew exactly what I meant and was soo happy for you LOL..

I added some more plants to my tank. I am like you, I keep switching. I got some plants (fake) and I like the way they look but these stupid plants keep floating.. They have the bases that you are supposed to be able to use without gravel but they just aren't heavy enough. I am gonna ask Lynda for advice, I am sure she can come up with something lol

Oh trust me..it would so easy for all of us to have Koko friends around.. :) ..

and thnks Shane...I know I am happy for the lil guys too.. :) ..thnks to you..those times were tough..and you and everyone here were sooo supportive.. :)

yeah those stupid plants that keep floating...for the plants that have bases, but need some gravel to hold them down..you could take 2-3 gems that you have in your tank and glue those to the base with resin..let it cure..and that way they will have weight..that's an easy way..or you could do the resin-gravel base that Lynda does..but she said it could be a lil tricky...and takes good number of days to cure..I am a bit impatient...so yeah I wud go the easy way.. :P ...

Right that is what I was thinking, but I am SOO impatient! I don't wanna wait for weeks while it dries LMAO I wanna do some of those resin gravel bases. They are sooo cool.. But I was like you, I didn't wanna wait. SO I bought more of the kind that should weight enough, but they just don't! They look like they would, but they try to sneak up. Luckily, I found some bigger ones, by the same brand, for the 40 gallon. After the others floated I was like "Ohhh geez: but luckily these didn't float.. Its just this one weird pack.. Grr. I was thinking about getting some river rock, and fishing line and trying to make it stick temporarily.. Or maybe just a few more bags of gems would do the trick.. It's all about patience, There are soo many options but I don't wanna wait LOL

I totally agree..I wish I had all the patience like Lynda..she uses the dryer and everything to get the resin settled...she is awesome...trust me..I would never be able to wait this long... :D ...but thts just us.. :rofl ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Girls! Talking behind my back?! Just teasing! lol!

Oh wow..you travelled a lot too..I take Caltrain from Sunnyvale upto Millbrae (Caltrain station just after Burlingame..I bet you know tht.. :D )...and from Millbrae, BART upto Embarcadero, financial district San Francisco..its a 2 hour commute each way...so blogging about goldfish is the best thing I can do.. :D

You REALLY do the traveling! I love San Francisco, but I hardly ever went because parking is truly the nightmare from helll! Mostly when I did go, I went to the Flower Market and all the decorating shops around there. Fantastico was my favorite! I only did that commuting thing for 3 months before it became too much! Then I got something in San Jose for a while and then got something in Palo Alto, so there I was commuting again, but this time by car. At least when you're traveling for an hour up North, it's really an hour's worth of mileage! Like 60! Down here in SoCal, an hour's worth of traveling converts to about 15-20 miles!

Right that is what I was thinking, but I am SOO impatient! I don't wanna wait for weeks while it dries LMAO I wanna do some of those resin gravel bases. They are sooo cool.. But I was like you, I didn't wanna wait. SO I bought more of the kind that should weight enough, but they just don't! They look like they would, but they try to sneak up. Luckily, I found some bigger ones, by the same brand, for the 40 gallon. After the others floated I was like "Ohhh geez: but luckily these didn't float.. Its just this one weird pack.. Grr. I was thinking about getting some river rock, and fishing line and trying to make it stick temporarily.. Or maybe just a few more bags of gems would do the trick.. It's all about patience, There are soo many options but I don't wanna wait LOL

Go ahead and be impatient! I went that route too with trying to glue rocks to the plants and find fast answers. That's what led me to the resin bases because the glue just doesn't seem to hold (at least for me) in the long run. It almost isn't about patience, but more about the final frustration because nothing else works. Yeah, I mean, I've been in the planning and making stage for.... what?..... about a month now with my newest design?.... but, when it's finally ready, it won't be going anywhere! lol!

So, it's been a while, JC, since you last wrote about getting Sunshine and Chikoo back together, so I'm assuming it's happened by now. So, how did the reunion go? Were they happy to be back together?

• 1 month later...
Hello Girls! Talking behind my back?! Just teasing! lol!

LOL... :D ...

So, it's been a while, JC, since you last wrote about getting Sunshine and Chikoo back together, so I'm assuming it's happened by now. So, how did the reunion go? Were they happy to be back together?

Yeah...true Lynda...has been a long time, I have updated this blog..I always wanted to write about their union...cos it was absolutely funny...By the time Chikoo and Sunshine got back...they had almost forgotten abt each other...Sunshine was the boss in the beginning..would not let Chikoo eat much..chase Chikoo for food...and Chikoo a little submissive, didnt trust me and my hand feeding much...just getting used to the snobby Sunshine and her ways...

Anyhow, since Chikoo lived alone in the tank for a month, while Sunshine was in the QT...she picked up on everything and now there was a role reversal..Chikoo was the boss of the tank... :) ..but she is a good soul...so never kicks Susnhine's ######...and now knows to get her share of food.. :) ...

So the day they got back...it was in the QT tub while I did a 100% water change on the main tank...I put Chikoo in the QT with Sunshine...Both of them were super happy and ultra exited to see a new fish friend..Both of them zipped towards each other and kissed...and hugged..and said sweet nothings for a good 6-7 seconds...then checked out each other's bums..and then within a blink of eye just zipped away from each other in opposite corners of the tank...Absolute gurl behavior...I laughed and laughed the way they just stayed away from each other after that...trust me was sooo funny...kiss, hug, check out bums and zip away..everything in matter of 10 seconds...Absolute nonono... :rofl

Well, later Sunshine caught flukes in the main tank...and then they again got treated with Prazi and some salt...But things have been quite well ever since...knock on the wood.. :D ...

Today, I decided to update the blog...cos today I have found out...Chikoo and Sunshine are both gurlsssssss.... :bounce:nana ..I am really happy today...Well how do I know...cos I see some white thing on Chikoo's vent...she has become a bigger piggy than ever...and eats a lot.. :) ..Trinket just confirmed that she may be ready to release her eggs...Here are some Bum shots of both my gurls... :D

Chikoo's white protruding vent

DSC00350.jpg

And one of Sunshine...although no eggs or anything...you can see its a gurl.. :P

DSC00352.jpg

Yayyyy..I am Mommy to 2 girls...I am sooo happy...I wonder what happens when I actually have human babies... :P ..But, now I am gonna enjoy the fact of having 2 gurl fishie babies... :D:happydance

Oh and I am keeping my fingers crossed for Chikoo..Hope she pushes all her eggs soon..and we dont see too many complications...Needless to say I ll try and do the best for her... :please things go well.. :) ..

Edited by SunshineGurl

Isn't it fun to be able to not have to call them an "it" anymore?! :tbanana Wow! That outtie on Chikoo is really prominent! No doubting that one! :Congrats: