First Water Tests!

sheep

I made mom stop at nooppee while she was buying booties for my dog(he's gnawing the22 out of his poor feet) to buy me a bottle of test strips(pretty awesome for $10).

Following the directions, everything matched up very well. The only thing I have questions about is water 'hardness' or uh.. GH?

It came up in the green, 'very soft'. I'd like to know what this means, whether the current level is safe, and how it can be adjusted if it isn't. :)

OH, and hi, again, everyone! It's been a while!

You might want to post the exact results. GH and KH are linked to pH, so a whole picture would be useful.

I have very low KH/GH so I have problems keeping my pH stable (it drops from the tap 8+ to 6.8ish in the tank) and I've been using Buff-it-Up, which has worked great.

However, the strip tests are notoriously unreliable...if you can, you should really get a drop kit. Personally, I would do that before tinkering with water chemistry. They are much more accurate and easy to read. And, in the long run cheaper than the strips. You get a bunch of tests with the drops and only a small # with the strips (as many strips are there).

Edited by uberleslie

You might want to post the exact results. GH and KH are linked to pH, so a whole picture would be useful.

I have very low KH/GH so I have problems keeping my pH stable (it drops from the tap 8+ to 6.8ish in the tank) and I've been using Buff-it-Up, which has worked great.

However, the strip tests are notoriously unreliable...if you can, you should really get a drop kit. Personally, I would do that before tinkering with water chemistry. They are much more accurate and easy to read. And, in the long run cheaper than the strips. You get a bunch of tests with the drops and only a small # with the strips (as many strips are there).

Drop tests? I don't know if those are at nooppee.. I'll need to look, then, I guess..

Tomorrow, I could uhm.. take pictures of a video in good light of the test results?

GH, KH, pH.. I don't know the EXACT levels of everything, so it is pretty inacurate, hum.. it just tells me "safe" levels for freshwater aquariums.

And..

I have 'pH Down', which makes water more acidic(and have not used at all since I found it with the aquarium)

and the remains of a pack of tablets called 'Tank Buddies'..

"The original complete water conditioner in a fizz tablet. Each quick dissolving tablet makes water safe for fish by removing heavy metals, chlorine and by breaking the chloramine bond. It also adds beneficial electrolytes, promotes the natural slime coat and reduces stress."

I think it's time to make another shopping list.. I hate to ask, but I need a little more help with the two things mentioned above. Do I need them at all? o-o;

(I'll be reading more, too, on water levels etc, too. >_>; I'm never particularly clear on this subject..)