Could My Comet Be Eggbound?

lantern567

Here is Buttercup, very fat. I am a little worried that she may be full of eggs that she's not releasing.

img_FishButtercup.jpg

I have another female comet who looks more torpedo-shaped. She was laying eggs a week ago. They are both about 5 inches long, excluding their tails.

I've caught both fish hovering at the bottom a few times. They both eat a lot - Tetra Fin fish flakes and ProGold pellets, peas, broccoli and frozen brine shrimp.

Should I be doing anything, like adding epsom salts? I tried chasing her around the tank with my hand, but she didn't like it one bit, and neither did I. Should I try to catch a male and put him in the tank for a day or so? Or should I not be concerned? :unsure:

The tank has been up for many months, but these new fish took over the tank 2+ weeks ago after a good cleaning (but not to the point of having to cycle it.) They got their treatment of Prazi and salt, and now the salt should be out of there. The 40 gallon long tank has two 200gph filters, one on either end. Ammo:0, nitrite:0, nitrate:5, pH:7, temp:73. I use a dechlorinator and Buff-It-Up, and vacuum the bottom every 2 days, changing out 20-50% of the water.

I have never bred fish or had a problem with an egg bound fish. But, there might be someone in the breeding section who could help. Check on there and find someone who seems to have had some luck with breeding and maybe send them a PM and see if they can offer advice.

If you are worried yes get her in the pond so a male will chase her. If she's not egg-bound she won't get chased so you will know :)

However I have never worried about my females being full of eggs unless they are bothered by it (hanging at the top, bottom sitting etc). If she is behaving normally it shouldn't be a worry really.