maddy1997

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0.25

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API and hagen drop kits

[*]Water temperature? 77 farenheit

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 its has been 2 weeks

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? ehiem

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25-50% each weeks or two weeks

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantails one is 2 inches the other 1 and a half inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Start right jungle water conditioner, waste control, API water clearer, cycle bacteria supplement, Sera aquarium salt

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Sera goldfish flakes, goldfish crisps, omega one bloodworms

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? well my male goldfish has been cahsing the female goldfish around and I found breeding tubercles on him, He had the tubercles on his fins and on his gills. When I woke up this morning they had sread to the top of his head

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? he eats and is very active

Heya,

I'm sure a mod/helper can better diagnose. I don't know much about breeding stars, though I'd be inclined to think that rather than ich. If you can take a picture that would be really helpful.

Also, be careful with a nitrIte reading of 0.25. That's getting dangerous -- your nitrItes should be at 0. (I'm not sure if you're trying to start a cycle, but if so...you need to be doing water changes more often than every week or two weeks.)

When I was starting a cycle with fish in the tank, I did a water change every day or every other day -- as soon as I showed any ammonia or nitrItes.

Good luck!

Heya,

I'm sure a mod/helper can better diagnose. I don't know much about breeding stars, though I'd be inclined to think that rather than ich. If you can take a picture that would be really helpful.

Also, be careful with a nitrIte reading of 0.25. That's getting dangerous -- your nitrItes should be at 0. (I'm not sure if you're trying to start a cycle, but if so...you need to be doing water changes more often than every week or two weeks.)

When I was starting a cycle with fish in the tank, I did a water change every day or every other day -- as soon as I showed any ammonia or nitrItes.

Good luck!

I am cycling my tank and now and I do not know how to take pics I have tried before but now he is laying at the bottom of the aquarium, help!

Like Leslie says, monitoring the water parameters is very essential when cycling with fish...so please do an 80% water change asap..tht should bring the water parameters to levels good enuf for goldies...and pH and temp matched water...don't let you pH fall below 7...

Hiya! :)

I've read this thread, and most of your other threads.

I see that the 15 gallon tank is fairly new, and I am assuming that the fish are new also? If so there are a few things that can be happening. We already know that your tank is still cycling.. When your tank is new and still cycling the water changes MUST be more often. You wrote you are changing the water 25%-50% weekly or every two weeks. This is not nearly enough. Right now you are going to need to do water changes every day. Like everyone else suggested, your first step right now should be a HUGE water change. Matched for temperature and treated with dechlorinator..

High ammonia and high nitrites can be very deadly to your fish. It is very important that you do larger water changes, more often right now, during this beginning time. Once your tank is fully cycled, you can go to weekly water changes. You might want to do 50% changes every 4-5 days given that you have 2 fish in a 15 gallon. (I see there has been a lot of talk about this already, and that it was the biggest tank you were allowed to get so I won't tell you it's not big enough) :blink:

Another thing is that if these are new fish, there are certain things that must be done for new fish to make sure they are not sick... Most fish from pet stores are not very healthy. They may even seem to be, but they can be sick. This is why when getting new fish it is important to use a few things (salt & prazi) which will treat new fish for many things. We can talk about those after your fish is in clean fresh water... that's the most important thing you can do right now. Good luck!

Hiya! :)

I've read this thread, and most of your other threads.

I see that the 15 gallon tank is fairly new, and I am assuming that the fish are new also? If so there are a few things that can be happening. We already know that your tank is still cycling.. When your tank is new and still cycling the water changes MUST be more often. You wrote you are changing the water 25%-50% weekly or every two weeks. This is not nearly enough. Right now you are going to need to do water changes every day. Like everyone else suggested, your first step right now should be a HUGE water change. Matched for temperature and treated with dechlorinator..

High ammonia and high nitrites can be very deadly to your fish. It is very important that you do larger water changes, more often right now, during this beginning time. Once your tank is fully cycled, you can go to weekly water changes. You might want to do 50% changes every 4-5 days given that you have 2 fish in a 15 gallon. (I see there has been a lot of talk about this already, and that it was the biggest tank you were allowed to get so I won't tell you it's not big enough) :blink:

Another thing is that if these are new fish, there are certain things that must be done for new fish to make sure they are not sick... Most fish from pet stores are not very healthy. They may even seem to be, but they can be sick. This is why when getting new fish it is important to use a few things (salt & prazi) which will treat new fish for many things. We can talk about those after your fish is in clean fresh water... that's the most important thing you can do right now. Good luck!

thank you I will get water prepared tonight so I can do a 50% water change tommorow

Guest Patches

If your fish are only 1-2" big, I doubt they are breeding stars as they are a little young.

But I am not fluent in goldfish breeding habits, so I could be wrong.

• Admin

The gills are his breeding stars also they go to the front fins too and some fish will get them on the head, but generally the white spots on a tail fin are ich...How big are they and is it just the one fish?

The gills are his breeding stars also they go to the front fins too and some fish will get them on the head, but generally the white spots on a tail fin are ich...How big are they and is it just the one fish?

they are tiny and only on my one fish

• Admin

I think the safest way is to get aquarium salt....since they are so small... i would suggest 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water every 24 hours 2 times, do not go more than this since this guys are small. your going to need to do a water change after 3 days..... :)

Make sure you have aquarium salt :)

I think the safest way is to get aquarium salt....since they are so small... i would suggest 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water every 24 hours 2 times, do not go more than this since this guys are small. your going to need to do a water change after 3 days..... :)

Make sure you have aquarium salt :)

thanks I might just do medicine :)

If you do any Ich Meds....please if they are under the 3" mark do the dose in half quantity and do it slower...if that makes since :)

ya it does should I seperate him? and how do I know for SURE that it is ich and not breeding tubercles?

If you do any Ich Meds....please if they are under the 3" mark do the dose in half quantity and do it slower...if that makes since :)

ya it does should I seperate him? and how do I know for SURE that it is ich and not breeding tubercles? also they are on one side of his body mostly and when you look at him from the side they look spikey

HI! I've been gone for a few days! lol

How are the fish doing now? Have you added salt or meds?

Just letting you know, the salt works amazingly well for Ich. And it is very safe... The meds can be dangerous in some cases depenging on PH, Ammonia, things like that.

Have the spots spread at all? Are they getting bigger?

HI! I've been gone for a few days! lol

How are the fish doing now? Have you added salt or meds?

Just letting you know, the salt works amazingly well for Ich. And it is very safe... The meds can be dangerous in some cases depenging on PH, Ammonia, things like that.

Have the spots spread at all? Are they getting bigger?

I just used salt and did a 50% water change but saw my black moore do a flip but no he is swimming fine why did he do this?

15 tablespoons

Okay I think that's why.. Your tank is a 15 gallon tank.. 15 tablespoons brought your salt up to 0.3% immediatly. Normally with the salt, what is done is 15 TEASPOONS per gallon at first. That brings your salt up to 0.1%. Then another 12 hours later you add another 15 teaspoons which brings it up to 0.2%. Then wait ANOTHER 12 hours and add another 15 teaspoons which brings it up to 0.3%. It is supposed to be raised to 0.3% gradually... By adding 15 TABLESPOONS you immediatly brought the salt up to 0.3%, and the fish was shocked by it.

think the safest way is to get aquarium salt....since they are so small... i would suggest 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water every 24 hours 2 times, do not go more than this since this guys are small. your going to need to do a water change after 3 days..... :)

What koko suggested in your case was basically bringing the salt level up to 0.2% (instead of 0.3%) over a spread out course of time. If you want to bring your salt back to 0.2% now, you need to replace 5 gallons of water, with OUT readding any salt. Does that make sense?