Super Close Call!

wolfsong8

Last night I fed my fish at their usual time and checked to make sure they were doing okay. They hungrily ate their food and swam happily around in the tank. Several hours later I went to turn the light off in the tank, and noticed that Feather was not doing so well. He seemed to be swimming on his side, and would occasionally flip all the way over. The more I watched, the worse it got. It was to the point where he could not even stay upright, but was mostly upside down. :ill Still, he fought hard!! He would rest a few moments at the top of the tank, then flip and swim furiously to the bottom of the tank, only to float back to the top. I could see he was exhausted from the effort, and getting worse by the minute. I thought for sure I would lose him, and there was nothing I could do. I cried and I prayed. I stayed up late to keep watch on him, but there came a point when I had to go to bed. I said goodnight for what seemed like the last time.

As soon as I woke up this morning I went to check on him, expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. And there he was, happily swimming around the tank! He was still struggling a little bit, but not much, and by this afternoon when I came home from work he was showing no sign of yesterday's trauma. Still, I am taking every precaution! I am keeping an extra close eye on my water, and I won't feed him for a few days. He's tenacious, that's for sure, but I don't want him to go through that again!

I would consider this to be a small miracle. Such a simple thing, really, but it meant a lot to me. My fish are very important to me, and I love them very much. I hate to see them suffer in any way. I know y'all would understand.

Sound like Swim Bladder Disease. I've had fish with it before. My one ryukin lived for two months upside down. First things first what size is your tank, and how many fish. What type of food do you feed them? Do you fast them and feed peas? SBD disease is cureable, the more info you provide the easier it will be for us to help.

This behavior could be a reaction to the type of food he's eating. Some fish just can't handle some foods and they just constipate and float, just like some humans can't handle certain foods and others can. So, you might want to consider not feeding that food you fed when this happened and switching to something else, and, of course, adding in more fruits and vegetables. Good luck and I'm sooo glad everything is alright!

Just a little update. Feather is doing very well. I have put him on a fast for a few days, and then I will be feeding peas for another few. I am not sure what brought on the SWB so suddenly like that. I have been feeding them the same food for a while now, occasionally mixing it up with something else for variety. The only thing I can think of is that I must have overfed him somehow. Anyway, I will certainly be more careful from now on!