Carassius Serendipitus

Quasi

How it all began, the topic title says it all. :rolleyes:Carassius serendipitus as in Carassius auratus (the goldfish) but with a twist.

On the 31th of October 2007 we bought a house and apparently it came with goldfish. Near the back door was a disgusting wooden pond thingy on the ground with really dirty water and in that water we saw a flash of gold. After some staring we thought that there were 3 maybe 4 little goldies in it. We asked some people and bought a 20 gal as people told us that that would be sufficient for 4 little goldfish :blink: . The first (or was it the second? ) week of November we went back with everything we might need to transport them home in the established new tank (read: we had filled it with rain water).

So we started fishing in the dark as there was frost coming that week (2 weeks later that little pond was frozen solid :cold: ) The first one we caught was a beautiful yet skinny Female Sarassa of 4 inches in body length with tail that gave her 6-7 inches. In that dirty water only her red back was visible, so she only just fitted in the little container we brought along. :unsure: After her we were able to catch 2 little orange comets 2 inch in total length, one silver orange comet 1.5 inch, an other 1.5 inch orange comet, but with a white line (a scrape that healed bad), a silver orange (fifty-fifty) coloured tripod tail with red lipstic, and 2 tiny orange comets of barely one inch in total.

So we took them home, I drove and Alain held the container all the way, he was soaked with cold water :D . Then we transferred them to an other container to get all the gunk of them and then in the 20 gal tank, so we didn't get any of the dirty water in the tank.

More to follow, so stay tuned...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One week later...

The 'big' Sarassa was named "Godzilla" and the little silver orange with the red lipstic and the strange tail was christened "Quasi" as her tail was almost double. So I set out on a Quest to find out what kind of goldfish she was (It was a calm day at work ;) ).

Lo and behold I found Koko's :clapping:

I became a member and started to read a bit. This resulted in me driving to the lfs to buy tests (no ammonia test as they were out of them), ceramic media and bb in a bottle to speed up my cycle and to help with the fact that I was overstocked. So I tested the water as they were still in the rain water (ph of only 6.8). I did a 50% wc with tabwater this got my ph up to 7.

A week later I managed to get hold of an ammonia test and I did a 75% and my ph was up to 7.2 and the tank was cycled (0, 0, 20). :whatjust:

So in that little 20 gal I had 8 goldies: :blink:

4 inch in body and 3 in tail: Godzilla the sarassa

2 orange comets of 2 inch (including tail): Fred and Geoge (later known as Gigi)

1 silver orange comet of 1.5 inch (including tail): Silver

1 orange comet of 1.5 inch (including tail) who had a white line: Sarge

1 tripod tail a bit more than 1 inch in total: Quasi

2 tiny orange comets of 1 inch (including tail): Benja and Junior

Later on I found out that all my gf were girls, soo George became Gigi :whatjust:

I still wonder how my way to overstocked tank managed to cycle in 2 weeks and during the time I was severly overstocked my nitrates never went over 30. Small fish, not much food, magic bbs, very clean goldies?

In december I decided I needed a bigger tank, as in those 3 weeks in was 3 times in the dd section. Godzilla had a bruise by beeing startled by Alain (and his red T-shirt) and bumping into the glass, Sarge (the 1.5 inch orange comet with the white line) had gotten a scrape and Gigi had had a slight case of SBD.

Is this going to be a cliff hanger?? hehehe

Can't wait to read more

Ooooh she IS gonna do cliffhangers!! LOL She's making sure we tune in for each new "episode".I just love this.. seeing how everyone got started. It's funny that "Quasi" came from a little pond and wasn't planned.. LOL I can't wait to read more. : )

I like the cliffhangers... they make the reading easier (not so long and enduring) and..... it makes you want to come back!

The Quest for a bigger tank.

The second week of December I started to look for a second hand tank. First days nothing interesting :unsure: . Than I saw 2 tanks, one 70 gal and the other 75 gal, both with stand and reasonable prises. I asked for more info, whether they included filters, hood, lights etc...

The next day I got an email telling me that the 75 was already sold and I didn't got anything back from the 70 gal so I thought that it was already sold and that the seller was to lazy to tell me that. :(

At the same moment a cough I had turned into something rather nasty so I went to see the doc :ill . She (doc) checked my lungs with a stethoscope and immediately gave my a prescription for (a heavy 10 day course of) antibiotics and a week of sick leave. It really messed up with my work though, someone else had to give my practica :( . On the other hand, at the same time I got a bonus from work. :D So I thought to try the stores for a new tank, as soon as those antibiotics had slain the pneumokokken and/or streptokokken :wa .

Almost 14 days after I had sent that mail for more info the seller of the 70 gal reacted. I placed a bid of 200 ? and thought that with a bit of luck I would have a second-hand 70 gal with a stand in a couple of days :D .

Yeah right. :wa My thoughts at that time: "The seller still hasn't reacted to when I can pick it up grrr :krazy: . People don't have to react in an hour, but 4 days is a bit long. Godzilla and the gang really need more space. If he doesn't answer this week than I probably have to wait till Januari with the hollidays. It is so frustrating."

2 days later... (somewhere between Christmas :)santa and New year :cookie: )

Finally he answered that he accepted my prise and that the tank and the stand (in real oak :yeah: ) was mine. :nana

Than came the question: How do I get that home as I drive a little Daewoo Matiz. :blink:

The solution: My father borrowed my grandfathers minivan and I asked my bf (Alain) along to carry it. :gcar:

We got it safely home and of course I started to plea and beg (and even whine) to be able to give it a place so I could start cycling.

Permission was granted :bingo: It would be placed in the garage. Thank god it came with a heater as it was really cold :cold:

So thorough cleaning (which took hours) consisted of throwing out the old filter sponges and a lot of loose carbon stuff, letting it soak in bleach water with the internal filter running, then empty it again, put the tank on its stand and refilled it with dechlorinated water as I wanted to start a fishless cycle.

The internal filter wasn't enough so off to the store for an external filter, the extra filter media and some plants.

The best one I could find and could afford was an Aqua pro SP4 (1550 l/h), which looks a lot like an Eheim/ Tetra rip off but a lot cheaper ;)

One bad side though, the manual wasn't included, so it took me, my bf and my father more than an hour to figure out how all those parts fitted as there were 3 types of exhaust and some spare parts :krazy:

The day after I found a canister of pure ammonia in the garage and then I started the fishless cycle...

Sue/CountryLovah and Alain/Erinaceus were having a PM discussion, and Sue mentioned that I should put the following that Alain had said in my blog, so here it is :)

The fact that you & Miki are both in the same field and can relate and talk about these things was probably one of the things that brought you two together right? I love how one of you will write, and the other one can pick up where the other left off!! You guys are a fabulous team!

Actually, we met because we were divided up into groups of 6 for the Ba2 organic chemistry class. We were doing molecular models (the coloured orbs and wires stuff), Miki was sitting opposite to me, and I clearly recall myself thinking by the end of the afternoon "boy, that girl's a fun one". A year later we were spending most courses on seats next to each other, and by the second semester or our third year (we had 2+2 years), we were an item ^_^.

We also often comment to each other that we make a good team, so I completely agree. It's nice that it also shows by our writings :) .

That is soooooooooo cute!! You guys HAVE to share that story with everyone here!!! : ) Miki should copy this and put it in here blog area!!!!!

It clearly shows in your writing.. You guys have this really good vibe, as a couple and as individual people.. I liked you both right away... AWWWW sooo mushy!!! :rofl

Edited by Quasi

Where was I?

Aaah yes, the fishless cycle.

I added ammonia for 2 weeks when I noticed something fishy. I had little snails in the tank. Where did they come from. :blink: Then it struck me, due to the holidays I forgot to disinfect the plants and put them directly in the big tank. Stupid I know :wall . So I took the plants out and bleached them. Better late than never. :unsure: Then I emptied the entire tank and took every snail I could find out by hand. Then I opened the filter took all the media out and rinsed it in new dechlorinated water to get rid of every egg.

Filled the tank again, added the plants and started all the filters again.

During those 2 weeks Gigi had had two more bouts of slight SBD and Godzilla was still very skinny and rather depressed/apathetic.

So I decided to move Godzilla and Fred into the big tank as those were the biggest fish. This would give one 4" and one 2" goldie in the 70 gal, even when it wasn't fully cycled, but I added bb in a bottle :yeah: . That way I could fatten up Godzilla and would lessen the bioload of the 20 gal and help Gigi with her SBD. And I was quite certain that Godzilla would eat every snail that I had missed as she loves them :P

:gcar:

The tranfer went fantastic, they loved the space :goldfish: and the plants :feedme

A few pics to show how it looked

DSC03346.jpg

Godzilla thought that the bubbles were food :rolleyes:

DSC03350.jpg

After 3 days they had already munched through all the anacharis (the empty pots)

DSC03337.jpg

Will be continued... :rofl

Edited by Quasi

After 3 days they had already munched through all the anacharis (the empty pots)

That's the same plant my guys chowed down on recently :P

Must be tastey!

Probably, but I haven't dared to find out for myself :unsure::rolleyes: .

Yesterday I added some Elodea to the small tank. The plants look terrible due to sterilising and QTing them for so long (and a little bit of neglect). First I thought they hadn't survived my rather harsh treatments, but they just lost all their leaves and are developing little primordia (those little buts that give new leaves) :D

Edited by Quasi

• 2 weeks later...

To continue with the story:

Cycling with fish...

I measured everyday and never did NH4 rise above 0.25 ppm nor did NO2 rise above 0.05 ppm. So I could keep my weekly w/c up :yeah:

I think that the tank was already halfway there due to the fact that I started a fishless cycle first. The fact that it were only 2 fish in 70 gal of water must have helped also. They got fed twice a day to get some meat on Godzilla, which worked :rofl .

3 weeks after Fred and Godzilla I transferred Gigi to the big tank. to bad it didn't went as smooth as it should have been. We used the same plastic box as with the others so I could scoop her up and not stress her to much. Yeah right. :blink: My bf wore a red shirt that day and Gigi got so scared that she jumped out of the tank. :yikes She landed with an awful sound on to the stone floor. :krazy: I immediately picked her up and put her in the little plastic box. She was a bit of balance at first, I think that she was a bit dazed of her fall. But in a few minutes she was alert again and I started to adjust her water to that of the big tank. 30 minutes later she was in the big tank and exploring everything like a hungry goldfish :goldfish:

Next day my nitrites were 0.01 ppm instead of 0, but in five days they were 0 again. Then I added Silver. Her transfer went smooth, she was easy to get in the box and in the big tank. But as soon as she was in the big tank she was so afraid of everything. :peeka She thought that Godzilla was going to eat her :hide: . Silver was clamping her fins and kept close to the internal filter for 2 days. After that she started to explore the tank a bit.

One week later Quasi and Sarge made the big move and they loved it :9 . Quasi is afraid of nothing, she was even faster than Godzilla when I fed them the day after.

By that time the plants in the 70 gal were having a very hard time. "Wow an 24h salad bar" :feedme

So I transferred al the surviving plants to the little tank.

One week later (the end of February) the lights in the big tank mysteriously stopped working...

I can't wait to hear more. I love how this all started with a dirty little (and presumably empty) pond.

Empty of goldfish, yes :) . But at the moments it's rained a lot here, so it's now once again filled with green muck. Soon we're going to dismantle it and get it to the recycling centre.

Yesterday we did the big move :gcar: (I was still sick and that while I have to take 'lots of rest' on the doc's orders :blink: )

We started at 18h30. First we emptied the little tank half way (we saved all the water) and then caught Benja and Junior in a little plastic box. Emptied the little one completely, put everything in my fathers care and put a lot of half full buckets in our car. Drove to our new place and set up everything again. The little ones loved it they were constantly looking around, all the fins nicely erect, like "cool, a change of scenery" :D

The big tank wasn't that easy. Because it is huge with an even bigger oak stand (tank god the top can be loosend to minimize the weight) we borrowed my uncles car (with him) to transport it. The emptying took an hour (filled several rubbermaids to the top). Catching the fish with the plastic box was a bit harder but not that much and we put them in a sturdy 15 gal rubbermaid with a lid. The fish were a bit nervous (I saw red streaks/ veins in Godzilla her white tail), but all the fins were up :bingo: . Then the loading could begin. :gcar:

In my uncles car we put the stand and the tank. In my fathers car the external filter, the top of the stand and the rubbermaid with the fish and in our (little) car a lot of half full buckets. Then we put the stand on its place, made a hole in the back of the wood so I could put my external filter in the stand (up till now it stood beside it). Then screwed the top of the stand back on its place and moved the tank on to its final place. We poured all the buckets in. Then my bf (erinaceus) drove back with the car to get an other 1/3 of the water :gcar: . We poured that in and put the fish back in the 70 gal, with the bubbler. Drove back again for the last 1/3 of water and filled the tank to the top. Started both the filters. At first I had put the external wrong together. In and out tubes are confusing. :rolleyes: But that was solved in a couple of minutes. In about 5 minutes all fish in the big tank came out and started to look for food :feedme , which is a very good sign to judge a goldfish mental state :rofl

We were finished with everthing at midnight :exactly

Feel better.

Today I'm feeling a lot worse. Now I sound like a terminally ill lung cancer patient who is still smoking at the age of 80.

Edited by Quasi

I was to late to edit.

This morning my bf fed the fish and everyone was begging :feedme . :D And all the water params are in the green, I was scared that there might have been a slight bump, but so far nothing. I hope everything stays all right. And this weekend we move over :Jig:

I still have to fill the gap between the end of February and Yesterday and I'm bored of being sick.

So Back to the past...

Measuments taken on 24/03/2008 (bodysize) I hope I deciphered them correctly :unsure:

Junior & Benja: 5 cm total (3)

Quasi: 5 cm (3.5)

Sarge: 6.5 cm (4)

Silver: 7 (4.5)

Gigi & Fred: 8.5 (5)

Godzilla: 16 cm (9.5)

Those 6 months were actually quite uneventful. I managed to solve Gigi her SBD problem, by making gel food (link) and finding out that the only processed foods she can digest are (I had to find the English name of course :rolleyes: ) Tetra Fin Gold Japan (Tetra animin Gold?) and algea wafers. For the rest peas once a week, oranges twice a month.

I killed my Anubias during a gravel vac but I got some Elodea and Cabomba as replacements.

The past month Silver has been a bit of balance, probably because she had eggs and she might be bit stunted due to a bad start in live. I posted about it in dd section

The weird and eventful story on how my bubbler stopped working and then mysteriously started working again. At least I have a spare one now :rofl

That is it. From now on I'll write in one time-line only ;)

Edited by Quasi