Wht Happened To My Goldie :'(

Guest jsingh

Guest jsingh

Hi guys, so I recently got 2 goldfishes. I never had any fish before and these were the first young goldfishes. I wanted to feed them somthing so I did research and per my research I gave them cooked peas w/o shell as it was posted here....couple hrs later i found one them dead :'( why did that happen?? I didn't have proper tank yet, just whatever bowl i could find. I am so sad and what to know what must've caused this. Plz help. Should I take out the other goldie, i dnt want her to die either.

hey im so sorry about your fish!

When you buy fish from a mmm/nnnn most of the time they will pass within 48 hours. They carry sick fish who are all on the brink of death- Im guessing thats where you got them?

You did nothing wrong!

One thing though- never ever ever ever ever and I mean never keep a goldfish in a bowl for any period of time. It can and will kill them and torture them. Get a nice lil 10 gallon tank

Look at kokos 10 steps to a healthy fish on the front page- itll help you along and help you too understand what your in for with goldfish

Goldfish are great fun to keep but really hard to take care of. They can grow HUGE and can live up to 20 years. Well make sure you know everything you need to know!

Good Luck!

Yes, as Spencer said, it's most likely they were already sick when you bought them and then putting them in a small bowl created the final toxic environment that finally did them in. You can buy your supplies at the chain stores, but don't buy your fish there. And even with the local fish stores (lfs), you still need to be very picky and very choosy and look very carefully at the fish before buying to make sure they look healthy.

When preparing to keep goldies, the fish should be the last thing you buy. First, you need to get a tank large enough for the amount of goldies you want to keep. If you want two, you'll need a 20 gallon tank with a 200 gph filter. Err on the side of more gph, not less.

You will also want to buy drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Don't buy strips, even though they may be cheaper. If you aren't using a dechlorinator, you MUST buy that too. Letting water sit out will not get rid of all of the toxic elements in the water.

Also, you'll need to have aquarium salt and Hikari Prazi Pro. You want to quarantine all new fish before adding to the main tank. If these are your first fish, you can do the quarantine in the main tank, but after that, you have to have a separate tank for your quarantines.

Here is an article on some general rules for proper goldfish keeping. Koko's Goldfish Care.

Here is an article on how to cycle a tank. Cycle of the Tank. Don't buy any more fish until you get all your equipment set up and your water completely cycled. Hopefully your little goldy will make it through the cycle and the sickness treatment too. But, if it, god forbid, doesn't, don't buy any more fish until you get all the equipment and your water cycled.

As far as trying to save your one fish, if you can't afford to get a proper sized tank set up now, you can go buy a 10 gallon rubbermaid type plastic storage bin with a 100 gph filter. You must have a filter. This will be a great beginner home for your one goldy and will make a great qt tank for future use.

Get him in there and also get that aquarium salt and prazi. The salt will treat most general ailments and the prazi will treat for flukes, which you are pretty much guaranteed all fish have when they come home from the store. You can use salt and prazi at the same time. Add the prazi according to directions.

You can also use rock salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, sea salt, etc. Just don't use table salt or any iodized salt. Salt is added as follows. Salt is referenced by volume, i.e., 0.1% (mild treatment), 0.2% (moderate treatment) and 0.3% (stronger treatment). 0.1%=1 tsp salt per 1 gallon water, 0.2% =2 tsp salt per 1 gallon water and 0.3% =3 tsp salt per 1 gallon water. You start with 0.1% salt. Then, 12 hours later, up that to 0.2%. Then after another 12 hours, up it again to 0.3%. As your fish is sick, you'll want to bring your salt up to 0.3%.

Water changes must be done every day in an uncycled tank. At least 50%, but I strongly urge 75% to 90% of temperature matched, dechlorinated water. The water changes are based on your test readings. The higher the numbers, the more water you change. In the beginning, you'll see ammonia. Then, after 2-3 weeks (or more maybe), you'll see the ammonia start to drop and you'll get nitrites. Then, the same will happen with the nitrites dropping and getting a spike in nitrates. Once you get your nitrates leveled out as close to 0 as possible, but no more than 20, your tank is cycled and you can scale back your water changes to once a week, again, depending on your test readings. Once a month you do a 100% water change just to be sure you get rid of any bad bacteria that may have started growing in there.

Remember that while you are removing the water during your water changes, you are also removing that same amount of salt and prazi, so you need to add back in whatever amount you removed. So, if you are at 0.3% salt in a 10 gallon tank (30 tsp salt) and you removed 50% water from the tank, you removed 50% of the salt also, or 15 tsps salt, so you need to add back in 15 tsps salt.

Good luck with your fishy and :welcome

Guest jsingh

My other goldie died too. I appreciate all the help and someday I would like to have fishes with proper care but for now, its too much stressful. :(