Cat Having Surgery On Tuesday

kusackaid

My cat that is almost 5 years old is having surgery on tuesday for a couple of reasons. She was declawed along with her sistar when they were kittens. I was against that from the start, but because they lived in my parents house, my parents rules presided. My mom would not put up with all the furniture being turned into scratching posts.

In the last 3 months one knuckle on each of her front paws has started to regrow. Apparently they have grown crooked and it really bugs her, her left paw is infected where the bone has reached the surface. Her right is usually bloody from being chewed on because she knows she dosent like whatever is happening to it. Because of this she has been in a horrendous mood lately, biting people when she touches them wrong with a paw and it hurts. Wanting comfort, but being unable to accept it. She has also lost over a pound in a week and a half because she is not eating.

She also has a fatty tumor on her belly close to her internal organs. It has been there since she was a kitten, but has not caused other problems as of yet. My mom has agreed to pay the extra to have the tumor removed now, since the majority of the surgery cost is the anastesia anyways.

Also, apprently it is harder to fix the knuckles when they start to regrow than it is to do the initial claw removal. Something to do with not having anything to hold onto to pull the bit out. And the bone is so small they have to probe with the laser and hope to not hit the bones wrong, or cut the next segment of bone.

We have to fix the paws, or she may soon be unable to walk. She has not responded to either of the antibiotics given for the infected paw. I am just worried that everything may not go as planned. And the tumor removal is so envasive. I remember how they were after the claw removal surgery, all disoriented when we brought them home. Obviously in pain, had to be lifted to and from the beds for a couple of days because it hurt them too much to jump. Except, how do you lift a cat that just had major abdominal surgery? I am hoping everything goes well, and soon she can go back to having an active kitty life like she should.

You must be a nervous wreck!!!

Awww the poor thing.. I hope the surgery turns out well, and that she is back to her old self in no time... It's scary whenever you have to have the pets put under. I would be worried too, but I am SURE everything will be just fine.. It's just a shame she has to have it done..

My dog has something on his eye. It started out looking like a little pimple, but it's grown over the last few years. Every time I take him to the vet he says it's a benign cyst. He says he is going to remove it later this year and not to worry. He says right now it is not causing him any pain so there is no need to put him under JUST for that, and he would rather wait until he needs a teeth cleaning or something else. Either way, it freaks me out, and I know when he goes in for it I will be panicked.

I hope the surgery goes well, which I am sure it will.. And we know you'll be there to take care of your little baby once she is out.. Let us know how it goes...

Regrowth isn't uncommon if a cat is declawed too soon, like before they are 6 months old. I think the surgery will go fine and at least the infection will get better.

My schnauzer passed away a few years ago, but she also had fatty tumors. They weren't hurting her so I left them alone. She had recurring bladder stones and the vet who operated on her to remove the stones was nice enough to remove the fatty tumors for no additional charge. She did just fine and didn't get anymore.

Its just so worrisome when they have to put pets under, almost like babies. But you apparently have a wonderful vet and I think it will be fine.

Good luck and let us know, ok?

My dog has something on his eye. It started out looking like a little pimple, but it's grown over the last few years. Every time I take him to the vet he says it's a benign cyst. He says he is going to remove it later this year and not to worry. He says right now it is not causing him any pain so there is no need to put him under JUST for that, and he would rather wait until he needs a teeth cleaning or something else. Either way, it freaks me out, and I know when he goes in for it I will be panicked.

Kusakaid- Sorry your furry kid is feeling poorly! I hope all goes well tomorrow, I'm sure everything will work out fine and kitty will feel much better! :D Let us know how everything goes!

CountryLovah- my 11 year old poodle just had two cysts removed from the rims of her eyelids last spring and it was no biggie, she looked like she had a horrid eye infection for about a month and people would give me dirty looks over it which was annoying I wanted to put a sign on her that said I had surgery on my eye my mommy is not negligent! Everything healed up just fine and she doesn't constantly rub her eye now, but that said I totally understand the anxiety, I hate her just getting a dental done! No chance you have a poodle huh? Teeth cleaning and eye cysts sounds like common poodlely things.

Thank you everyone for your support. I know everything should go well, but there is still that part of me that says "what if it dosent?". I will update this when we get more info tomorrow on how things go.

My mom dropped her off tonight at the vets office as her surgery is scheduled for 6:30 am tomorrow morning. That said, I hope she gets to come home tomorrow and they dont want to keep her over for a second night, since its being done so early in the morning.

Maceo, I spent last week house sitting for my aunt and uncle who have a standard poodle. She is such a funny dog.

CountryLovah- my 11 year old poodle just had two cysts removed from the rims of her eyelids last spring and it was no biggie, she looked like she had a horrid eye infection for about a month and people would give me dirty looks over it which was annoying I wanted to put a sign on her that said I had surgery on my eye my mommy is not negligent! Everything healed up just fine and she doesn't constantly rub her eye now, but that said I totally understand the anxiety, I hate her just getting a dental done! No chance you have a poodle huh? Teeth cleaning and eye cysts sounds like common poodlely things.

That makes me feel a bit better! That sounds like the exact thing my dog has!!! He's a puggle actually, half beagle half pug.. I've actually never had experience getting the teeth cleaning done.. This is my first dog, and the way the vet suggested it, it sounded like ALL dogs need them.. Is it not usually needed?

My mom dropped her off tonight at the vets office as her surgery is scheduled for 6:30 am tomorrow morning. That said, I hope she gets to come home tomorrow and they dont want to keep her over for a second night, since its being done so early in the morning.

I know how you feel. Maybe if she can't come home the first night, you could still just stop by and visit her for a bit?? Either way, I hope everything goes well, and you get your little kitty home in no time : )

Kusakaid- Aren't poodles just hilarious? They're so smart they have a sense of humor. Hope Kitty is doing ok! Let us know

Countrylovah- dentals are necessary for all dogs from time to time, but poodles, the little ones in particular, are notorious for having bad teeth, Josie my poodle has to have hers done twice a year which is a lot it is usually years in between for most dogs. A puggle? I bet he is adorable!

My Dad had a poodle. He was 18 when my Dad passed away and he starved himself from grief. He was just the funniest dog and absolutely sooooooo smart!

Dad lived by a cow farm. Andre (the dog's name) kept getting out and rolling in the cow patties! He'd come home finally so happy and smelly that we'd have to hose him off. He wasn't allowed to run loose and we couldn't figure out how in the world he was getting out!

Finally we spied on him one afternoon...he climbed the chain link fence like a MONKEY!!! :rofl Never to this day have I ever seen a dog do that! Climbed the daggone fence and jumped off the top, ran over to the field and started rolling!!!!!!!! Crazy crazy little dog!

kukasaid, how is the cat today?

Edited by vickielm

Sorry for not updating you guys but the last couple of days have been a tad hectic...and not just because of the cat.

Her surgery was done later than planned because they had an emergency case that had to go first. Also due to the other emmergency surgery, they did not operate on her tumor as my mom had said if its not too much longer to get it out. I guess they were really behind schedule and opted to not try for it to make up some of that time. Apparently the first thing she did upon waking up was to start to chew on her paws. This immediately earned her a collar.

The vet said she is one of the funniest cats to watch. My mom left her with my old black sweatshirt which she likes to crawl into...its her "happy place". After the surgery the vets office gave her a blanket instead as it was cleaner by then and her paws were oozing a bit. She promptly burrowed into that too.

They did end up keeping her overnight after the surgery, and most of the next day too. Last night I got to see her again :) She was really wanting attention, and bumping into everything with the collar on. It has to stay on for another 4 days. She was limping slightly, but not nearly as much as she was before the operation. But drugged up kitties with cumbersome collars are fun to watch. She woud beg for attention, knock something over...look at it like"where did YOU come from???" then wander off and find a place to veg out and immediately fall into a drugged sleep. She normally is not a cat that rubs against you a lot, but last night she was trying to about every 30 seconds. She managed to cram my foot (shoe and all) down the collar when I wasnt looking at her.

So far things are going well. She still knows how to chew on her paw even with the collar on. But not much we can do about that. At least she dosent have to worry about grooming herself as her sister usually does it for her. One last thing: she has taken a liking to her pet carrier now and will sleep inside it at home as long as the door is open on it.

Edit: the vet says she will have lots of paw problems because she has very small paws for a cat her size. Apparently her paws are suited to an animal about half her size, even though the rest of her bone structure fits her.

Edited by kusackaid

Liz, so glad to hear that your kitty is on her way to recovery! Druggy cats are kind of funny. When the vet drugged Rocky to clean his ear canals he bumped into everything so badly I had to close him in the bathroom where he wouldn't kill himself! He was like a little furry drunk.

I hope you don't have to continually go through these surgeries and that she does well from now on out. I'm amazed that she kept the collar on at all!! Glad this is over for both of you. :)

You know...if you feel like taking a pic or even a video of this funny collard cat I for one wouldn't object to seeing it :P

I second that! : )

Glad to hear that she is home safe and sound. I hope she recovers well and is back to herself in no time : )

So glad you had a happy drugged cat, my two got fighty and growled and hissed at everything and everyone, even me and each other!! They wouldn't go NEAR each other, kept hissing and stumbling away as fast as they could...And that was just from being spayed. They aren't declawed and they never had e-collars. lol.

I would've liked so much to have happy drunk kitties :D

Edited by TetraLover

Yesterday she kept jumping up onto one of the cushoned footrest/chairs we have. Then she would lay down...wait a few minutes and roll over, and almost fall off...over and over. She is also still asking for a lot of attention, esp to scratch her neck where she can't right now. It is too funny to watch her trying to scratch, it goes "tick tick tick tick....." and she gets no where so she keeps doing it till someone goes over to scratch for her. I will take my camera today to try and get pictures and possibly video.

I am so glad your little kitty did come out of her surgery in great shape, Liz! :happydance

My dog Buddy had a fatty tumor removed and part of his intestines a few years ago, and it went just fine for him. I take it your cat still has her tumor then? Couldn't quite figure that one out. :unsure:

I think its their nature to grave attention after an invasion like that. Buddy was the same way for weeks to come. I think they are just glad they aren't abandoned, you are still their owner, and they are free of the problems they had to begin with. How did kitty behave when after she went home? Buddy went nuts, inspecting every room in the house, making sure everything was still where he had left it. :rolleyes::D