Is This Normal?

Shamu23

I was feeding my goldies tubifex worms today and Jackie kept taking huge pieces, but then along with airbubbles some of it would come out through her gills, is that normal?

yeah. i use to feed tubifex worms, and because they're so thin and stringy like they'd get all over the place.

i have stopped feeding them just because they're such a mess.

It's wild bred tubifex and unknown name manufacturers you have to worry about with bacteria and/or parasites. The brand names have been bred and processed in sanitary conditions to protect from bugs. Tubifex worms are very, very tiny. It's possible to eject them out of the gills, kinda like when we drink milk and laugh and it comes out our nose. Milk does not belong in noses, and yet, sometimes, that's where it goes when it's been pressured out through a combination of physical processes. If a fish is trying to swallow at the same time as trying to chew too much, some of it may get forced out of the gills.

i also hear they are bad to feed to fish because they may contain paracites..

is it the wardley brand?

no, they're hikari, i used to weed the wardley opnes but my fishies didnt like them as much

It's wild bred tubifex and unknown name manufacturers you have to worry about with bacteria and/or parasites. The brand names have been bred and processed in sanitary conditions to protect from bugs. Tubifex worms are very, very tiny. It's possible to eject them out of the gills, kinda like when we drink milk and laugh and it comes out our nose. Milk does not belong in noses, and yet, sometimes, that's where it goes when it's been pressured out through a combination of physical processes. If a fish is trying to swallow at the same time as trying to chew too much, some of it may get forced out of the gills.

ok that makes sense :)