How Fragile Are Wens?

uberleslie

When I was just feeding some goldfish crisps for a snack, I accidentally sorta poked Starbuck's wen. (I push the food into the water so it sinks). She darted to the top and we collided.

Hope I didn't hurt her. She sure darted away quickly!

I agree with Jeana..its just tht Starbucks was so exited abt the food, it must have just shocked her for a second there...I dont think you hurt her wen in any way... :) ..no worries..but you could take a close look at her wen just to make sure...I personally dont find my oranda's wen so fragile.. :) ...

• Admin

I have had encounters like that when I had Orandas. Just check to see if theres a cut, but over all StarBuck should be okay hun....there pretty tough in that kinda thing :)

The only 'damage' I can see is that there's an area that looks a little lighter, and under it there's a tinge of red. Like I maybe bruised it? :unsure:

Edit, adding photos:

082408-2.jpg

082408-1.jpg

Edited by uberleslie

• Admin

Oh that will heal hun....I had one Oranda that got a cut from Java Moss and it healed up nicely...I know you keep good care of them so it will just take a few days and it will go away :D

I worry about my orandas, especially Mysti as she has a piece of wen that is 'wiggly' and hangs down, but it still stuck firm. I love the way their wens wobble about.

I have accidently touched Blueys wen before, but she seemed to like it! It feels weird though, not what I expected.

As the others have said, Im sure she will fine. Mine get overexcited when it comes to feeding time, they all come to the top and stick their heads up!

Wens do feel a little strange. I've never 'hit' Rowan's wen (or Stardew's mini-wen or Erato's poms) but I did smack Lloyd's head on the filter output :ignore

I was taking the goldies out of the 55. Rowan was easy to get out. Lloyd and Winnie are another story. They're single-tailed. I was doing a 100% tank-scrub (algea, wiped under the gravel, etc.) Lloyd thrashed when I lifted him up out of the water, smacked his head and didn't move til I put him in the bucket. I thought that I had hurt him, but he showed me otherwise by giving me a shower :D

I think that is single tails all over, when I moved my fish for upgrade, my shubunkin tried very nearly successfuly to jump out, smacking himself on top of the filter in the process, same fish has also threw himself into the glass when I have tried to catch him.

Loaches are the best at trying to catch!

Mine al have different wens too, from uber wen on Mysti, to little one on Tiny Tim!

Mine bump into things when they are swimming around all excited, I think the wen acts as a crash helmet!!