Tap Water Ph Gone Down

I had to do a major water change on the big tank and put Elvis in the 12g while I did. I tested the tap and found to my dismay that the PH (which had been running at 8.2 and 8.0 for the past few months, since I got my test kit) suddenly is registering at 7.4. Now what. I read that a rapid PH change could cause a PH sickness. With Elvis already so sick, the last thing he needs is to get sick from a PH change. How can I safely move him from a tank w/8.0 to a tank of 7.4?

What is PH sickness and what should I watch for?

• Admin

First off I would suggest Buff it up if you can....Since you live so close I might be able to send you some if you need.....

As for right now to change the fishes ph, you need to do whats called a slow dip...meaning have him in the water hes in then every 15-20 mins add a 1/4 of water from the lower ph into his water. This will get him slowly used to the new ph, do this for an hour to 2 hours...I had a Pleco that died cause I didnt ask what the ph was at the LFS (since it was in the same town), found out it was 1.5 ph difference from my water... :(

Thanx Koko

for some reason, the PH went back up last night and I was able to make the change and match the PH. I will definately watch that in the future tho. How would I make a water change with Elvis in the tank if there is a difference in the PH? He's in an uncycled tank right now so would Buff it up still be okay to use?

• Admin

yes it would be safe in an uncycled tank...Its only changing the PH and KH...the key with it is to test the water and then add alittle buff it up and test again. This way you can see how much you need when you do a water change....you could also keep a log of how much you use when the Ph is at a certain level...It does make the tank cloudy for a few mins but it goes away :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am still struggling with the PH in the tap being so different than what is in Elvis' tank. I read somewhere if you add a stone to water and let it go overnight that will raise the PH. It definately works and it's how I have been able to do the small changes in Elvis' tank. I have been using my 10g (I always thought it was a 12g til I measured the water as I added it a couple of weeks ago.) and it's working great, but I can only change 10g at a time and I have a 38 now. The other prob I have been having is that the nitrAtes in the tap have been running high ie: 30 range. After a few days, Elvis is in a trAte of 40. Would it be okay to just add AmQuel+ to his water to lower the trAtes down? My ammonia has been at 0 for almost 2 weeks now tho the trItes are still going up slightly, about .25 every two days. I'm not sure what else to do. I honestly can not afford to get anything from Rick's or anywhere else right now, and Elvis acts really weird when I do a big change and have to add in water from the tap even tho I add in AmQuel+ and Aquanova+ with every change. Any suggestions?

I am still struggling with the PH in the tap being so different than what is in Elvis' tank. I read somewhere if you add a stone to water and let it go overnight that will raise the PH. It definately works and it's how I have been able to do the small changes in Elvis' tank. I have been using my 10g (I always thought it was a 12g til I measured the water as I added it a couple of weeks ago.) and it's working great, but I can only change 10g at a time and I have a 38 now. The other prob I have been having is that the nitrAtes in the tap have been running high ie: 30 range. After a few days, Elvis is in a trAte of 40. Would it be okay to just add AmQuel+ to his water to lower the trAtes down? My ammonia has been at 0 for almost 2 weeks now tho the trItes are still going up slightly, about .25 every two days. I'm not sure what else to do. I honestly can not afford to get anything from Rick's or anywhere else right now, and Elvis acts really weird when I do a big change and have to add in water from the tap even tho I add in AmQuel+ and Aquanova+ with every change. Any suggestions?

Hello?

Hi Roni - Just a couple of thoughts.

1) Are you certain that your test kit is not old or expired? Is it strips or drops? Tell us which brand. Sometimes an old kit can start giving wacky readings.

2) Do this test: take your PH reading straight from the tap, then, reserve a jug of water which you can stand out over night - test this the next day or at 12 and 24 hour instalments. Be certain of your accurate tap readings before you start adding buffers. It may be that you will see a rise after standing it out - in this case the gap will be due to disolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid) gradually being gassed out and allowing the PH to rise to its true value. In this case you just need to add vigorous aeration to the new water and sit out as much as you can before changes. If the tank is consistently higher than the tap, then I think this is the most likely scenario. My water often comes out at 7.4-7.6 and rises to around 8.0-8.1.

3) If this is not the case, it may be that the water utility co. has had a glitch with it's buffering, or some other type of disruption. Baking soda would be the cheap alternative to Buff it Up, although it is not as stable and easy to use.

Hi Roni - Just a couple of thoughts.

1) Are you certain that your test kit is not old or expired? Is it strips or drops? Tell us which brand. Sometimes an old kit can start giving wacky readings.

2) Do this test: take your PH reading straight from the tap, then, reserve a jug of water which you can stand out over night - test this the next day or at 12 and 24 hour instalments. Be certain of your accurate tap readings before you start adding buffers. It may be that you will see a rise after standing it out - in this case the gap will be due to disolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid) gradually being gassed out and allowing the PH to rise to its true value. In this case you just need to add vigorous aeration to the new water and sit out as much as you can before changes. If the tank is consistently higher than the tap, then I think this is the most likely scenario. My water often comes out at 7.4-7.6 and rises to around 8.0-8.1.

3) If this is not the case, it may be that the water utility co. has had a glitch with it's buffering, or some other type of disruption. Baking soda would be the cheap alternative to Buff it Up, although it is not as stable and easy to use.

Hi Pixiefish. I have been seasoning the tap water in the 10g with airstones and the #2 you wrote is spot on. My test kit is only 2 months old and it's a API master kit.

Since Elvis is in a 38g and it's still cycling, 10 gallons just doesn't do the trick . I have some big tubs, they are dirty and old. I do have PP so I could clean one up, but I have a tiny house with 4 cats and no where I can put the 22g tub without my hubby complaining about it. That's why I wondered if adding extra Amquel+ with the freshly seasoned 10g would help. Elvis' fins are started to turn white along the edges and I know that is NOT a good sign, especially with all the problems he has been having.