Calling All Turtle Experts!

Chrissy_Bee

I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it here, I also put it on pet brigade so we'll see if anyone can answer my weird question!

I've had my female red eared slider, Goober, for about 13 years, and she's always lived alone. She lives with my sister and her fiance, Colin, now so I don't see her every day. Today I went to visit and Colin asked me if I gave Goober and egg lately, because sometimes she gets bits of boiled egg. I said no and he told me he'd looked in the tank and saw what looked like a small bird egg. When he reached in to get it, Goober beat him to it and ate it! He's pretty sure it was an egg, and I made the point that if she ate the shell and all, it was probably a reptile egg.

She lives in a large rubbermade in the house, and we have no reptiles in this province, the only thing I can think of was that this was her egg! Does anyone know if it's possible for one of these turtles to do this without ever being around a male? (obivously I know it wouldn't have been fertile :P )

i've never had a turtle in my life, but based on watching animal planet.. reptiles do regularly produce eggs, and they do (for the lack of knowing the technical term) "drop" the eggs. they are just unfertilized.

if she's reached the age of sexual maturity, i don't see why she wouldn't produce and drop her eggs. it's actually a good thing, because it's scary when reptiles like turtles and iguanas get impacted with eggs.

i've never seen a turtle on emergency vets make it through an egg impaction issue. so i think it's excellent that he saw her egg. :)

of course... i may be totally wrong, cuz my knowledge is coming from the few times i've ever watched t.v.

::edit::

p.s. haha i saw your thread title "calling all turtle experts!" and i thought "HEY! i'm a turtle expert! hahaha... a beancurdturtle expert! i wonder if that counts!" :tomuch:

Edited by Tinkokeshi

p.s. haha i saw your thread title "calling all turtle experts!" and i thought "HEY! i'm a turtle expert! hahaha... a beancurdturtle expert! i wonder if that counts!"

:rofl

Thanks for the info, hopefully you're right. I guess she's sexually mature now, that's kind of cool. Hopefully I can snag the next one she drops, I've never gotten to hold a reptile egg before.

;)

if you do get to hold one... take a pic so we can see! i've never seen one (other than ones that have been surgically removed on television) either!