Spring Mix Salad Mix

Goldfish7

I am working on a new recipe for gel food and was wondering if I could use the spring salad mix that is prepackaged. It has romaine lettuce and some other greens in it but I cannot remeber what.

I just found a description of it and it has Arugula, Dandelion, Fris?e, Radicchio, Red Mustard, a few types of lettuce, Watercress and Swiss Chard. I know dandelion, mustard greens, and romaine is okay to feed but what about the rest of the stuff?

Thanks for your help.

i'd say go for it... if it's a veggie, more likely than not, your fish will eat it.

and i think most of the salad mix stuff we eat is goldfish friendly. :)

yeah, I see nothing wrong with any of those. They should make for one yummy, healthy gel food!

That may be true. Manufacturers and producers are, by law, required to list all the ingredients in any food product sold however, inluding preservatives, so, read the ingredients list. If preservatives are listed, then, of course, don't use the product. But, if it only lists the vegetables, then there are no preservatives.

i would not feed it they put chemicals in the bag so the veggies stay fresh..
That may be true. Manufacturers and producers are, by law, required to list all the ingredients in any food product sold however, inluding preservatives, so, read the ingredients list. If preservatives are listed, then, of course, don't use the product. But, if it only lists the vegetables, then there are no preservatives.

Thank you both for the concerns. I read the label and did not see any perservatives. My fish like the food I made them and never let any touch the bottom of the tank. It was a big hit. :D

Thanks for that idea! I never thought of prepackaged mixes. Whenever I buy a salad mix it always goes bad before I finish it, so now I will share!

I gave Moby and Florence some watermelon (seedless of course) and they went BERSERK!! I finally had to drop some in either side of the tank because Moby would stuff her mouth with every piece and Florence couldn't get any at all, LOL! And Moby is the fantail and supposed to be "slower" than a comet! Not when it comes to food, though. You'd think she is starving all of the time if you didn't look at her fat little butt! :rofl She didn't let one little piece go to the bottom of the tank.