Frustration!

I had to do a little rant to people who will feel my pain :P

My brother in law has kept fish for a while and he loves the hobby, he tests his water and all that good stuff. BUT there are some things he either doesn't want to bother to learn or just doesn't understand. For a year he had 2 neon tetras, a single balloon mollie, a single marbled mollie and a single platy in a 15 gallon tank. I told him they were schooling fish and were looking stressed, but I don't think he believed me. Then I gave him my old 30 gallon so he could upgrade - he was really excited and looking forward to it.

So a few weeks ago I go over and he's trying to run a fishless cycle in the 30 gallon but has no idea how or why, and his poor fish were in the 15 gallon with absolutely no decorations or hiding places. I helped him out with that, showing him how to transfer the media to the new tank, etc. Then I told him to keep the 15 gallon going so he could QT the new buddies he'd buy for his fish.

What did he do? Not follow my advice, that's for sure! :P

He dismantled the 15 gallon, then bought a bunch of new fish. He got a few mollies, guppies and platties, but none of them are the same variey as his origional fish. Also, he only got 2 of each kind and he didn't QT any. As a result a lot of the fish are being agressive and really stressed, and one of his origional mollies died almost immediatly. Then a mollie gave birth last week and he lost all the babies. He told me there was a big pH change and he doesn't really seem to know why. AND yesterday I went over and sat down to watch the fish, all the mollies are flashing horribly.

I just wish people would take advice sometimes! I understand that he's been keeping fish for a while and probably thinks he knows what he's doing, but it seems like he just went to the lfs and believed the owner's word over mine. ......so now, I'm off to his house with bunch of prazi and hoping for the best :(

That's a shame!! He has such good help and advice coming from you, and to just completely ignore it like that. It's almost saying "well you don't know what you are talking about"

I hope you can save some of the fish. Sounds like no matter what you do, he is going to do things his own way, and there's not much you can do about that.

But if you want to give ME a free tank and come set it up, I promise I'll do whatever you say LOL

I'm sorry about your situation :k055: . I often also become frustrated when I feel I'm drowning in people's stupidity and/or inability to accept advice or even just a helping hand .... :wall

It gets better.....

I went over with the prazi for him and told him to take out the carbon, his response was 'nah, don't need to do that'...but he saw the light and did it :rolleyes:

THEN I asked him about the pH problem and told him it's because the kH is so low and that he needs a buffer. His response, "well everything I've been reading online says none of that stuff is any good"....ahhhhhh :wall I guess he's forgetting that I lived in that exact same house, with that exact same water, and multiple tanks for 2 years. He also tried to blame the crash on a resin ornament that I had in my tank for years.

I also caught him rinsing his newly established filter media in tap water. When I told him the chlorine would kill the bacteria he just said "oh ya, I know but I have other bio media in there"...but his tank isn't even fully cycled yet...sigh!

In the end he dosed the tank without any carbon, I just hope he manages to follow the directions correctly . As for the pH...that's a whole other battle I'll have to deal with next week I guess.

I don't want you all to think he's a bad guy or anything, he's actually very sweet, but I had to get my anger out somewhere :P