Common Or Comet?

mickdigler

It's pretty tricky to tell what gender a goldfish is. Males will get breeding stars when it is time to breed (small white bumps, or tubercles, on their gill plates and on the front ray of their pectoral fin) and generally, females will have an 'outie' vent and males will have 'innies', though this isn't always the case.

On top of what Nomi said, I'd also like to add that (mature) female goldies can at times produce eggs, but when given not chance to lay them (e.g. when there is no male there to stimulate them to do so), then then reabsorb the eggs, resulting it a white, spirally, stringy poo.

Oh. Not sure what to do then. Want to get a second fish but off the same sex. Any suggestions on how I can find out for certain?

Even expert members here are sometimes unable to judge the sex of goldies, because unless you have two of the opposite sex together, and the right settings, they may choose not to relieve their sex for a really long time. I'd suggest trying to take some good pictures of the cloaca/vent and maybe some of the more experienced members will be able to tell (for the record, I'm not one of those :rolleyes: , yet :D ).

Thanks Erinaceus, for all the help!

No problem :) . It's fun to share what little I know, especially with people who also got the goldie bug :D .