Sign in to follow this  
Nomi

Indoor Ponds?

I was just wondering if anyone here has an indoor barrel pond, or something similar? I was thinking about doing something similar to this, as I would like an indoor pond, but as a student renting an apartment I need something not very permanent. It would be near a window (or, preferably, on a deck/balconey, but thats assuming I get one).

It's perfectly possible to do an indoor pond with a rubbermaid or half barrel. One thing to keep in mind is that water weighs a lot! One gallon is just under 8.5 pounds, so a 50 gallon pond has over 400 pounds of water in it, not counting the container, filters, etc. If you put it on a balcony, or above the ground floor, you need to think about how much weight the floor can bear.

I currently have my little oranda in a 15 gallon rubbermaid bin, and I treat it just like a tank. I have two filters and an air pump running, and she is perfectly happy. However, I'm starting to not like it so much because I can't see her as well as in a tank. Fortunately, she'll be moving into a 30 gallon tank as soon as I get around to reinforcing the counter I put it on!

Thank you, I will make sure to check how much weight the floor can take.

How many gallons, generally, are barrel ponds?

You can really go as big or little as you want. It is down to the size of your barrel. For an indoor pond I would follow basic tank rules, and have at least 10 gallons per fancy goldfish, and 20 gallons per common/comet.

If you already have a container in mind, you can work out how many gallons it would be by measuring it. I can dig up the formulas for you if you want.

No, I don't have a container in mind just yet. I was wishing for one that could hold 50 gallons, but that all depends on how much weight a floor could hold and if I could find a suitable container the right size. It would idealy be for 4 fancies (less, of course, if a 50 G isn't possible). I've been digging up plans and tips on things like lining the barrel, how to set up the filter, I also want to have it lightly planted.

It's still quite a ways in the future but it's so much fun to plan!

Guest Isilme

Indoor ponds are really nice I think, when you integrate them into the furniture and stuff. There are a few things that pop into my mind:

* if it starts leaking, you are really in big problems

* you should be careful that children/pets don't jump into the pond (aha, a swimming pool... ;) )

* I wouldn't put a lot of stuff around it, because if it falls into the pond...

*also, I think you should think about the smell

Otherwise, it's beautiful (especially in a pergola !)

I have two 100 gallon feeding troughs in my basement for the pond plants and fancy goldfish that I bring in for the winter. Since it's in the basement I also have grow lights but it works really well.

Thanks for all the information everyone! I was thinking that, if I get an indoor pond, I would have it on a mat or something to catch any leaks or splashes (I was thinking something like the fake stone flooring you see sometimes, which I think may look better than just a plastic mat). Of course, I don't have to worry about children and pets, my goldfish are my pets! As for the smell, I think as long as I clean it regularly, and have a good filter, that should keep it to a minimum. And pond/fish/plant smells don't really bother me. The best thing is, my parents are opposed to a tank but not so much to a non permanent pond that can be outside. This way, I can move my two fish into a nice pond for the summer when I come home, and possibly keep the pond when I move out to wherever I'm going for second year.

Speaking of filtration, I was wondering what the best sort of filter, (type, size, ect) would be best for a 30-50 gallon barrel pond?

Here's a complete half barrel pond kit for $160. Doesn't give dimensions or water volume, but I guess one barrel's the same as another. Half Barrel Pond Kit

Tat looks pretty cool, thanks for the link! I wonder if the 'submersable pump' they mean a filter, or would I have to add on a suitable filter for goldfish?

A submersible pump is not the same as a filter. It just pulls water in one end, and passes it out another. On that link to the barrel fountain, the pump would sit in the bottom of the barrel, pull water up, and out the "country style pump." A real biological filter would need space for filter media. For a 30-50 gallon pond, you could just use a "hang on the back" (HOB) filter or two.

In my outdoor pond I'm working on, I have an submersible pump with a hose attached. The water is pulled in, goes through the hose and up into my filter (which doubles as a fountain), passes through my filter media, then spills back into the pond. You can check it out here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...st&p=786595

You can also check out the Pond/Koi and Pond photos forums here. I know that thoughtsofjoy and Callie recently set up and posted about some container ponds.

Guest Isilme

Wow that's really nice such an indoor pond barrel! Does anyone know what the maintenance + cost (electricity,...) is?

Wow that's really nice such an indoor pond barrel! Does anyone know what the maintenance + cost (electricity,...) is?

You have plans involving a very cute yellow goldie? :yeah: