Sbd

Guest luli k

Guest luli k

my ryukin goldfish has swim bladder disease, and all food that i feed her with floats, so i started feeding peas to her, and she hasent floated since, untill i gave some floating pellets, and she started floating again, so i keep feeding her peas, but i heard that you shouldent feed peas often, so i dont know what to do, also she has a 20 gallon shared with another ryukin, which doesnt eat peas and nothing green, what do i do?, should i buy sinking goldfish food?, what type of pellets or goldfish flakes, and how much peas can i feed her each day?

Hi luli k,

Is your ryukin still suffering from SBD??? If so, we will have to first deal with that. I think you have posted in the wrong section.. :) ..nevermind, we will get this moved to the correct section..you need not worry.. :) ..But what would be needed in order to help you deal with this problem is the following information:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I would really suggest please provide all this information and we can take it ahead from there...dont feed your fish anything for the time being..hold on any food...and get aquarium salt...don't use it until directed to..but the salt should be pure salt..no caking agents or anything..you can read what kind of salt is right for such a problem here..

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

Again, please don't use it...provide all the info...I would really suggest getting drop tests for all the water parameters...I hope ur ryukin feels better soon...we ll try and do everything for her.. :)

and just some info here... http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...mp;#entry734536

and this too http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Swim%20Bladder%20Disorder.html

Edited by SunshineGurl

Guest luli k

ammonia level is: 0

nitrite: 0.25

nitrate: 40

ph tank: 7.6

using tist ket: drops

temperature: 68

tank size: 16, 17 or 18 gallons, been runing for 1 year

filter: cascade 400, it is used for 60 to 150 litres

water change: every week, 25%

fish in the tank: 2, about 7cm

food feed: goldfish flakes in the morning, and goldfish (circular, balls)food, but now i feed peas twice a day

medications used: i use to use melafix, but i stopped now

unusual behaviour: floating at the top of the tank after i feed floating goldfish food.

thank for your reply, i will read the threads

I use to have the same prolem with my fish. When they eat floating food they get little bits of air and causes all sorts of problems. Theres two option you can do.

1. Pre soak the floating food. If it's pellet let it sit in a little bit of tank water then squeeze them so they'll sink and if it's flakes push them under water and they should sink.

2. Get a new type of goldfish food that sinks, I use Pro-Gold from goldfshconnection.

My fish cleared up any problems in a few days.

good advice from Awesome Orandas... :) ...more than anything...right now, I would really suggest fasting your fish for 3 days and then feeding them just boiled peeled peas (1 each) for 2 days..and meanwhile get either progold from goldfishconnection.com...if you feed flakes, first soak them for a few minutes before feeding...any pellets should also be soaked in water for a few minutes, cos all this food soaks water and bloats a bit...this will avoid any bladder problems and air being introduced into the system..also making gel foods for your fish will avoid any such problems and will provide them with all the nutrients they need..you can find the gel recipes here..http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2269

this may not be possible for everyone to make..just a suggestion.. :) ...

other than the flake food and pellets...it is very necessary to feed a variety of veggies to the goldfish..you can clip boiled spinach and lettuce leaves to the tank..they will nibble at it..boiled and bite size cut carrots, broccoli, zucchini, squash, cucumbers...fruits like strawberries, bananas, oranges..etc...fruits shud be low in the diet cos they have sugars...whenn feeding orange a water change is advisable within 24 hours as it drops the pH...you can feed frozen brine shrimp, frozen dried bloodworms as a treat..varying the diet is the key to a healthy fish...

16,17 or 18 gallons...is a less for 2 ryukins..they grow big..you might wanna start thinking abt upgrading your tank soon..go for a 25-30 gallon setup...right now its fine, cos they are small..but you might wanna start planning... :) ..let us know..how the fasting goes..if your fish still shows signs of swim bladder then we can try the salt treatment...btw..did you read the links I provided you with..tht is some good info to have on hand...swim bladder if not addressed can prove fatal.. :( ..neways let us know...take care...

The advice you got above about feeding regimes is great, so I need not add to it :) .

I would however like to know whether, as far as you know, your tank has been cycled. I ask this because I see you have non-zero nitrites, which would mean either that your tank isn't cycled yet or that you have a cycle bump or crash. Given that you have no ammonia, the first seems unlikely to me.

High nitrites are harmful to goldfish, so try to do sufficient water changes as to keep them at 0.20 at most (and lower is better). The same goes for nitates (but less so), so try to keep those at 20 at most (and 40 is about where they because really stressful for your goldies).

I'd also suggest that you post a new topic in Emergency (911 or 999) (to be on the safe side) and let the experienced members know that you have nitrites>0. They should be able to help you out further.

Edited by Erinaceus

Guest luli k

ive read the threads and thank for them, i have never cycled a tank in my life, i have been thinking about upgrading, and when i fast my ryukin, should i fast both or just the sick one, if it is best to fast the sick 1, i have a spare 8 gallon tank (that isnt cycled). i dont know where in melbourne , that i can buy sinking fish foods, but ill try the methods from ausome orandas, and if some 1 can move this thread to the 911( since i dont know how 2 do it) i would appreciate it. thank for every 1 reply's.

fast both your fish..its healthy to fast them once every month...so it won't hurt the healthy fish at all...and avoid the uncycled tank for now...cos you will have to monitor and change water every 12 hours cos ammonia keeps building up..I would not do that at the moment as this could stress out your fish..would not be safe...

Excellent point from Erinaceus... :) Nitrite should really be zero...but if the tank has been running for a year, I wonder why would you have nitrites...have you by any chance changed the filter?? or anything tht might have caused a bump in your cycle...and also it is advised to change 50% water every week..I see you do a 25%...so a 50% water change will help too...also a 100% water change once every month is a good practice...never toss the old filter pad cos it has the beneficial bacteria in it...alsways rinse it in old tank water, never fresh water...and if there is a need to change the filter pad introduce a new one first for about 2 weeks..and then remove the old one..this thing needs a bit of planning...also you could change only half filter media depending upon the filter..have never used cascade..so not of much help here.. :(

As far as moving your thread to the 911 thread...that can be done by moderators only..I will bring this up to someone's notice who can move it to the appropriate section..

How is your fish behaving...any chance we can pics of the guy??..tht will help too.. :) ...keep us posted...

Guest luli k

she is doing fine now since i feed her peas and put flakes in the tank water ( now it sinks ), i have changed my filter 2 weeks ago (i bought a new filter/ the cascade), today i will start fasting them, and i cant get pics for now ( but ill try ), and whats so important about cycling a tank?

she is doing fine now since i feed her peas and put flakes in the tank water ( now it sinks ), i have changed my filter 2 weeks ago (i bought a new filter/ the cascade), today i will start fasting them, and i cant get pics for now ( but ill try ), and whats so important about cycling a tank?

changing a filter totally will cause a bump in your cycle... :( ...cycling is very necessary as this is a process that helps grow beneficial bacteria in the tank..that eats ammonia produced by the fish (the wastes)...ammonia gets converted into nitrites and then nitrates...now all this is eaten by the beneficial bacteria...it is a process that takes around 4-8 weeks...you can find all the info and better explanation :) here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

you have to retain the bacteria in order to keep the tank healthy and water parameters stable..ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in excess can prove fatal to your fish.. :( ..take care.. :)

of course he can/will get better..after fasting..you shud feed on boiled peeled peas (mash small pieces) for 3 days....he shud get better..if not then we can try the salt method...he will get better...and in future feed only soaked foods..this will avoid the situation...

so how are your fish doing??..any unusual behavior??...is your ryukin swimming fine...any signs of leaning on one side, or not able to balance herself..or swollen tummy?? keep us updated.. :)

Guest luli k

she has been able 2 balance herself and she is doing fine, i havent seen any unusual behaviour, she just seems alittle less active, while fasting her.