Cleaning A Filter

jody

I have a filter that has sat for two months and I want to get it up and running again. How do I clean the filter and the bio filter? I was thinking of just running boiling water over the bio filter and then cleaning out the filter with hot water also adding a new filter cartridge.

• Admin

When you say Bio Filter are you talking about the cartage or the wheel? If so the cartage should just be replaced the Bio bugs would be dead by now. If its the Wheel then I would rinse with hot water, still the bio will be dead by now....

As for the filter its self I would rinse it with Vinegar and hot water. Then rinse over and over with hot water :)

Hi thanks for your reply. I was talking about the cartridge kind, I am unfamiliar with the bio wheel. I ended up soaking everything in mild bleach and then scrubbing and rinsing everything with unclorinated water. I was unable to find new bio media, It might be something I could have found at our local pet shop but the only night I can get there is Friday nights. We have a new petshop opening really close to my work, I am hoping they have a good selection of supplies.

Its a Aqua Tech 5-15.

I also need to remove the carbon in order for Melafix to work but with this model the changable filter comes altogether. Any suggestions on how to remove the carbon? I was thinking just make a small hole and shake it until all the carbon comes out.

• Admin

This filter is like the Penguin filters, just no bio Wheel on it....So you can go 2 ways. One cut a small hole in the filter to get the carbon out or get filter floss cut to size and use that to filter the tank :)

Guest Orandaa

How does the 5-15 filter look? I've got a couple Aquatech 30's and higher and they're all the same.. but I cant seem to find much information on 5-15's. Do they use the 3 layers in the cartridge? Foam, carbon and the ammonia stones?

Guest Orandaa
How does the 5-15 filter look? I've got a couple Aquatech 30's and higher and they're all the same.. but I cant seem to find much information on 5-15's. Do they use the 3 layers in the cartridge? Foam, carbon and the ammonia stones?

Nevermind, I kept typing in Aquatech in google for some reason lol not Aquaclear. I got the info now :D